Wow stupid People

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

andrewj0781

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
My stepdad got a new HD tv so I told him to call Dish and for 2 year contract it would be a free upgrade. So he called and sure enough it was. They came the very day and put up a new dish and hooked up a new 222k. Only few HD channels came down and the installer said it takes awhile foe them to download. So after 1/2 hour I told him to call in. Here HD was never added to his account. He's like why did the guy come out for she said for the install. He's like I want HD that's why I called to have HD installed. Why would he order HD but not want it on the account. Someone at Dish is stupid.

Last edited:
Thats very typical!

The problem was that the HD programming probably was not "Sold" to the customer.

Alot of the times the sales people just want to go ahead and make the sale so they can get their commission. The problem is that the HD programming is $10 per month, so instead of having to hear the customer complain about the price of the programming, its just easier to sell them the HD receiver and let them call back after its installed and complain at someone else when the channels don't come in.

As far as the installer, that was his excuse for him to get his work order signed and to get out of the house. He didn't want to be the one to give your father the news that it was an extra $10 per month, and have to sit there while he called customer service and complained with the possibility that the customer would say take everything out and he would not get paid for the job.

Thats very typical!

The problem was that the HD programming probably was not "Sold" to the customer.

Alot of the times the sales people just want to go ahead and make the sale so they can get their commission. The problem is that the HD programming is $10 per month, so instead of having to hear the customer complain about the price of the programming, its just easier to sell them the HD receiver and let them call back after its installed and complain at someone else when the channels don't come in.

As far as the installer, that was his excuse for him to get his work order signed and to get out of the house. He didn't want to be the one to give your father the news that it was an extra $10 per month, and have to sit there while he called customer service and complained with the possibility that the customer would say take everything out and he would not get paid for the job.
seen that and it happens to me all the time, it gets very frustrating!:(

Thats very typical!

He knew it was $10.00 I told him upfront before he placed the call. He even checked with sales rep too to see what charges he'd see. He told him it's a 2 year contract so you'll only see $10.00/month for Hd programing that's it.

Why doesn't the installer confirm with the customer upon arrival what he is there for before starting the work to make sure the customer understands what hardware he s getting and what program pack he is listed as ordering?

If there is a problem the customer can get on the phone to Dish or the retailer to straighten it out before work begins.

Wouldn't you think Dish would have their system programmed to catch such things? Sure, some will get an HD receiver without HD service, but most no doubt have HD service in mind. How hard to ask the customer during authorization if that's what he really wants? Money left on the table, because many will never realize.....

That is one area that I will say that the local installers here in The Great White North can say don't happen, at least from the installs I have seen done, with the Northern providers installers in our area at least, they actually take the time after the install to make sure the customer has exactly what they want and that all is working fine.:up

If you ask for HD, they make sure all the channels are working, and even take the time to go over the reciever and even the remote with the customer. I have yet to see a cutomer left hanging, again I can only vouch for the installers in my area.:rolleyes:

The BEV installers are friendly, helpful, and make certain that everything is working the way things should be before they left.
Maybe Dish should do the same, as from what I have read on a few forums, even this one, there seems to be quite a few unhappy customers when they have to deal with customer support at DN, and even unhappier with the installers. :eek:

I know it only takes a few bad apples to ruin the basket so to speak, but geeesh I have heard some pretty nightmarish situations, even to go so far as to cut the cables on a True FTA installation and use the coax to install the DN, just because the installer didn't want to run new coax, or drilling holes in walls and destroying a persons drywall by using a huge drill bit for what should have been a very small hole, heck even taking the time to smudge a tad bit of silicone on the entrance hole they drilled to do the install can be one tiny thing done to please the customer, come on, if a BEV installer will take the time to make sure the customer is totally pleased with not only the work, but the complete install, wouldn't that make for better relations, and happier customers.

Thus if a customer is happy then you tend to keep a happy customer, but an unhappy :rant: customer will drop a provider at a whim no matter the cost of getting out of it, somtimes just a simple smile can go along way.

Especially where our seniors are concerned, they don't want to spend hours on the phone arguing with customer support. They just want to be treated with some respect, and be able to watch a bit of TV.
Also if an installer does it right the first time it saves the manpower,time and money of having to go back a second or third time to get it right.

Last edited:
It happens all the time. As far as why not make sure its all on the work order before starting. If the guys paid by the job he would lose the money for the upgrade plus a wast of time to go there just to tell the guy what he should have already been told and have him cancel. I have also seen where people expect to get a HD TV soon and have the upgrade done before the TV gets there.

My stepdad got a new HD tv so I told him to call Dish and for 2 year contract it would be a free upgrade. So he called and sure enough it was. They came the very day and put up a new dish and hooked up a new 222k. Only few HD channels came down and the installer said it takes awhile foe them to download. So after 1/2 hour I told him to call in. Here HD was never added to his account. He's like why did the guy come out for she said for the install. He's like I want HD that's why I called to have HD installed. Why would he order HD but not want it on the account. Someone at Dish is stupid.
This is a comon occurance. No big deal.
At times when a customer upgrades programming the receiver has to be activated and the job closed before the new programming loads.
When I perform upgrade installs, I always check for accurate programming.
If the programming needs to be added, I call dish from the job site and add it.
Or if activations is runnning slow, I advise the customer to call later that day.
This is a simple thing. Not a lot here to get worked up about.
Hope he enjoys his new HD stuff!

Maybe installers just aren't used to setting up HD yet. I know that's hard to believe. When I got HD 3 years ago, my installer left the receiver set to 4x3 480i. I probably wouldn't have known if I wasn't curious enough to check all the settings myself.

Then, two weeks ago, another installer came to install a second receiver and set it to 16x9 1080i on an old SD TV! Like I said, apparently the installers just don't have the proper training for HD yet.

Then, two weeks ago, another installer came to install a second receiver and set it to 16x9 1080i on an old SD TV! Like I said, apparently the installers just don't have the proper training for HD yet.
They do, that is just future-proofing. It doesn't display that resolution over regular RCA or coax connections so it doesn't matter. A lot of customers are being set up with HD equipment even though they don't have the programming. This way its ready to rock when the TV gets upgraded and the programming added.

Maybe installers just aren't used to setting up HD yet. I know that's hard to believe. When I got HD 3 years ago, my installer left the receiver set to 4x3 480i. I probably wouldn't have known if I wasn't curious enough to check all the settings myself.

I take issue with your assertion.
I find it annoying when certain customers feel they bear ZERO responsibility for THEIR equpiment.
Question. Did you inform the tech of the type tv you had?
Are you sure the tech set the receiver to 16X9 1080i? Did you SEE him do that?
If you were concerned that your viewing experience was not going to be what you expected, you should have made a point to be there to explain to the tech your type tv and other concerns.
We are not idiots.
Most of are us trained professionals.
Is it pleasurable for you to sit there and trash the entire profession?

Last edited:
dishcom is right. there is some responsibility with the customer to read their owners manual and customize their receiver to their tv. the techs job is to ensure the the proper satellites are supplying a healthy signal to the receiver and that the receiver is connected and displaying on the tv.

when i got my cell phone, the sprint agent did not set my ringtones, volume, or type in all my contacts. when my dsl was hooked up, the dsl installer did not teach me how to use my computer. he just made sure that it was connected. when best buy installed my car stereo i bought from them, they put it in. thats it. gave me the owners manual to learn how to program my stations and set my bass and treble and etc.

why is it the installers job to help you customize the receiver to YOUR tv.

dishcom is right. there is some responsibility with the customer to read their owners manual and customize their receiver to their tv. the techs job is to ensure the the proper satellites are supplying a healthy signal to the receiver and that the receiver is connected and displaying on the tv.

when i got my cell phone, the sprint agent did not set my ringtones, volume, or type in all my contacts. when my dsl was hooked up, the dsl installer did not teach me how to use my computer. he just made sure that it was connected. when best buy installed my car stereo i bought from them, they put it in. thats it. gave me the owners manual to learn how to program my stations and set my bass and treble and etc.

why is it the installers job to help you customize the receiver to YOUR tv.
The term is "high maintenence".

I take issue with your assertion.
I find it annoying when certain customers feel they bear ZERO responsibility for THEIR equpiment.
Question. Did you inform the tech of the type tv you had?
Are you sure the tech set the receiver to 16X9 1080i? Did you SEE him do that?
If you were concerned that your viewing experience was not going to be what you expected, you should have made a point to be there to explain to the tech your type tv and other concerns.
We are not idiots.
Most of are trained professionals.
Is it pleasurable for you to sit there and trash the entire profession.

Where in my post did you read that I was slandering anyone?
I didn't call anyone an idiot.
Reminds me of a funny saying, "When you make assumptions, you make an ass out of yourself."
I was simply trying to provide a possible explanation for these types of issues.
No, I didn't see the installer set the receiver to anything.
I sat in the other room and quietly allowed him to do his job without annoying him.
I take no pleasure in trashing anyone because I haven't done that.
Is it pleasurable for you to sit there and trash a valued, understanding customer?
I lease the receivers from Dish Network. That means it's not MY equipment, but I did and do continue to ensure that it is properly set up to work with MY tv.
Chill man, not everyone is out to get you.

I think you may be going a bit far with your analogy.
I do not expect the installer to set my favorites list, or hook up my phone line and turn on caller id, or ethernet cable, or surround sound, or set my DVR timers.
Maybe you do have a point though.
What SHOULD customers expect from a new receiver install?
Perhaps I am assuming (see funny quote in above reply) that MOST consumers are uneducated and ignorant, thereby needing to trust a trained professional to ensure that they aren't unwittingly watching 4x3 480i on their expensive new HDTV.

I can understand the frustraion of the customer on this problem. He ordered HD programming. The installer put in the equiptment, but didn't make sure he had the programming. I think the customer should have not signed off until he was satisfied.

At least 2 installers in this thread were defending the installer saying this is standard policy. No wonder Dish is bleeding customers.

I am not picking on Dish. I am quite happy with their product. Dish, like MANY other business, have abandoned customer service.

What happened to the OP happened to me. I merely called Dish and had my HD in a matter of minutes. I had completely forgotten about it until this thread came up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)