Wow Telemundo just went to 99Q after a storm!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hd fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Ontario
It was around 80 before with sunny skyes , even yesterday , and suddenly now out of the blue it is at 99Q. Did the storm peaked my dish or is it the atmosphere now for some reason is having way less losses than at normal (sunny) weather conditions?. I remember something similar happening back in Cuba with Florida's VHF/UHF channels , usually after a local afternoon storm not only the tv signals but also the sea were perfect, even better than before!!!.

yeah even 12180 is at 90Q now!!. although the other 2 PBS TP are still around 45. Can anyone post a difficult Ku DVB-S2 with high FEC to try now?. BTW OETA and LPB are gone eh?. I still think it is due to very favorable atmospheric conditions since I tighten the screw very well and since I installed it hasnt moved at all in other storms.

Moisture in your connections or switch could sometimes "peak" your signal, though in the long run that´ll work against you.

I have always had 99% on Telemundo so I can´t see any difference here.

Could be that , but this is not the first time it rains but it is the first time I see this happening. I can even get the 3 narrow (4444) PBS feed TP's and although they are heavily breaking I can see the bars with different station names (the first 2 are the same) which I think since they are not being used right now , they are running very low on power I guess because the 12100 feed has an HD signal with 50Q and BTW only 4340 SR so you can tell the difference in PQ big time (it has a lot of macroblocking). Will see if it stays like this tomorrow but I am thinking is atmospheric conditions related. Kind of like the gradient temperature inversion in the troposphere that creates the tropospheric duct that with very low losses that allows VHF/UHF signals to travel way farther than normally, like back in cuba several summer days a year it even supersedes Tele Rebelde or Cubavision local signals.

The list does not have LPB nor OETA so I take it they are no longer available eventhough their website has the info and some members 10 days ago stated they got those signals.

Any difficult DVB-S2 Ku signal to try to lock with this undersized 6 footer now that the weather seems to help?.

I'm confused why you are talking about 2 different sats

PBS is on 125W
KTEL Telemundo is on 79W unless you are talking about another satellite

KTEL-DT, is being uplinked, from S.E. part of New Mexico, so they must have uplink rain issue this time of year.

Even though, it's little early for mosoon seasons to start.:)

Real mosoon seasons starts' around late 6-25-10 till 9-25-10 and sometimes spills over on to balloon launch's event in early first week of October!

Could be that , but this is not the first time it rains but it is the first time I see this happening. I can even get the 3 narrow (4444) PBS feed TP's and although they are heavily breaking I can see the bars with different station names (the first 2 are the same) which I think since they are not being used right now , they are running very low on power I guess because the 12100 feed has an HD signal with 50Q and BTW only 4340 SR so you can tell the difference in PQ big time (it has a lot of macroblocking). Will see if it stays like this tomorrow but I am thinking is atmospheric conditions related. Kind of like the gradient temperature inversion in the troposphere that creates the tropospheric duct that with very low losses that allows VHF/UHF signals to travel way farther than normally, like back in cuba several summer days a year it even supersedes Tele Rebelde or Cubavision local signals.

The list does not have LPB nor OETA so I take it they are no longer available eventhough their website has the info and some members 10 days ago stated they got those signals.

Any difficult DVB-S2 Ku signal to try to lock with this undersized 6 footer now that the weather seems to help?.
Like ICE, I too was a bit confused by talking about 2 different sats, although I'm not sure which other sat you're referring to.

But I was interested in the 3 4444 signals. When you said they were the same, sometimes this means that they are just running the same slate, which I assume means that at the time they are being uplinked from the same site (all three of these 4444 signals seem to uplink from different sites at different times). HOWEVER, sometimes when two of these channels have the same programming on them, it's due to LO freq drift in the LNB/LNBF. Ie I've seen times when my lnbf or lnb has drifted so much that I can receive the same channel when tuning 2 differen freqs, so that at times when in reality there is different programming on the 3 channels, it looks like 2 of them are the same (not sure that made sense).
Anyway, I tuned in the three 4444 channels just now, and the 12163 and 12169 both had a test pattern with a PBS NOC bar slowly moving up and down. They looked identical, and the bars were even in the exact same place when the two channels were viewed on different receivers side by side. So I was trying to figure out a way to tell if I was really seeing two different signals or if my LO freq had drifted again. I tuned in the 12175 signal, and it was breaking up when I tuned in at 12175, but was solid when I tuned at 12173, so I though perhaps my LO had drifted. So I studied the 12163 and 12169 channels with TSREADER, and finally found a difference. The stream on 12169 indicated a Transport Stream ID of 12, while the stream on 12163 indicated a Transport Stream ID of 11. Otherwise they looked identical. Same bitrates, same A/V PIDs, same channel number. So anyway, next time I'm thinking that maybe I'm seeing the same signal, this might be a way to tell.

While on AMC21, I looked, and while I'm seeing OETA fine, I'm no longer seeing LPB. I looked at the spectrum on both polarities, and as usual, I'm seeing the vertical channels being slightly stronger, at least on the upper PBS transponders. The LPB transponder is still there, and looks quite strong in the spectrum. The 12120H signal is also quite strong, but I can't lock that either. So again, I seem to be having issues with some of the horizontal transponders, but I don't think it's signal strength. Must be something else, like interferrence from something else. Perhaps something like the tropospheric ducting or other skip phenomena you mentioned are bringing in some horizontal signal that's interferring with the quality on the horizontal side.

That AMC-21 sat is sure FULL though. Virtually every transponder in use, although most of the signals there I can't lock, as they are apparently in modes I can't tune. Just as a demo of how full the sat is, I'm attaching spectra of the two polarities below. In the first horizontal scan, at the right you can see the three 4444 signals, the 12150, 12120, a narrow 12098?, and the 12072 LPB signal, all quite clean and strong, but for some reason, I can't lock the LPB today. In the 2nd vertical, you can see from the right, the 12180, 12140, 12112, 12104, and 12096 signals. But you can also see a ton of other signals on both polarities, a few of which I can lock, but most that I can't. That sat is full of signals.

Attachments

• amc21H.jpg
    amc21H.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 166
  • amc21V.jpg
    amc21V.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 160
It was around 80 before with sunny skyes , even yesterday , and suddenly now out of the blue it is at 99Q. Did the storm peaked my dish or is it the atmosphere now for some reason is having way less losses than at normal (sunny) weather conditions?. I remember something similar happening back in Cuba with Florida's VHF/UHF channels , usually after a local afternoon storm not only the tv signals but also the sea were perfect, even better than before!!!.

Hello HD fan what Sat are you talking about? :)

Sorry guys, I guess I was so excited seeing the 6 footer C/Ku Gospel LNBF tracking the arc on Ku perfectly (or almost) for the first time from the new 61W Amazonas 2 all the way to 127W (even KFTL @ 63W had 85Q!!!!) that I just messed up everything.

I was refering to KTEL on 79 suddenly going to 99Q but I also mixed 125W PBS's signals in there. There was a local Thunderstorm with a brief heavy rain but I have been told winds were not strong at all and the marks on the pole are perfectly aligned so the Dish has not moved at all.

And it is not weather related either since today with very sunny skies it is still at 99Q and it even holds that within 3 clicks of the perfect position (139 on my Vbox II). Before I used to get KTEL at 132 and now at 132 it still locks at 17. I will check with the birdog later to compare values from when I finished the re-install 2 nights ago. I remember I also adjusted the elevation setting just a bit to peak with the birdog. But the main difference is that the dish mount cap is now perfectly plumb and before it was 1 degrees off at 55W and 137W. I am now almost 100% sure that very good results can be achived with a C/Ku LNBF without sacrificing neither band. The only signals I am having problem with are now C band due to adjacent interference, before Ku was the issue. Guess I am ready for an AZbox to start hunting for feeds and of course an 8 footer as well to avoid the interference.

BJ, Thanks for all the knowledgeable info , as usual it always helps. I think both PBS feeds even had the same Video and Audio PID but no way for me to see the TS ID. I will try harder to lock to those DVB-S2 PBS muxes today now that you confirmed it is there. Had no idea AMC 21 was so full of signals. Was relying on The List and Lyngsat.

KTEL-DT, is being uplinked, from S.E. part of New Mexico, so they must have uplink rain issue this time of year.

Actually, I think it is being uplinked from Lubbock (sort of the way Equity used to do business). The owner of KTEL is Ramar Comm. which also owns the FOX affiliate in Lubbock. They also own and/or have LMA's with some other stations in Lubbock as well as owning KUPT in Hobbs which is definitely programmed and ran from Lubbock (but not via satellite).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts