Wow while I was reading at LATIMES.com I found this about Viewsat Owner busted

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This story doesn't make sense. I know some criminals are stupid, but like mentioned, just buy a sub, get a recent card with it etc. 250k makes no sense.

This story doesn't make sense. I know some criminals are stupid, but like mentioned, just buy a sub, get a recent card with it etc. 250k makes no sense.

I agree that it makes no sense. I'd sell him my dp311 box with card for way less than that, and report it stolen. As for "America's Everything subscription" , I already pay for that and it's only $108.99 a month, with a few frills on top. $250K is about a 208 year sub, if I take care of my health.

Mr. Kwak is not a very clever crook , it appears.
:)

I think what they meant was to pay $250k to crack the smart's card code? Has to be, why would they want a subbed card just like that.

Gotta figure even a pirate would be a fool to buy a new box that wouldn't work on "FTA" .!!! :) They have a whole industry about to go down the drain if they don't crack it. Money will keep changing hands, I suspect.
:)

How stupid to do this in the US. Grab your card and leave for the bahamas or even
mexico. Don't do it here. I suppoze they were looking for new talent not a vacation

The 250K would have been paid cash to the first hacker to bust it, he also bought a scope for $20000 paid for in cash, probably one of the hackers told him what they needed.

First, let me qualify my comments by saying I dont condone or approve of piracy. If someone gets caught doing it, they should have to answer for it. That being said, if this case holds water it is sad that the DMCA has enough moxy to get a conviction for an 'attempt' of any sort. That is TOO much power AFAIC. The govt is overstepping their bounds here. In fact this type of industrial reverse engineering is very common. DN and DTV have been locking horns over this very act for years. Anyone see Rupert going to jail for his part back then? NOT!
I have no love lost for Ergen, his cheezy service, piss poor customer service, and crooked business practices. If Nagrastar doesnt FINALLY get it right this time, it wont hurt my feelings if the patch-eye gang rape Echostar again.
Kwak is an opportunist. Profiting on the loss of others. Hell, virtually all the DVB mfgrs are, any that covertly sanctioned priateware for their products anyway. Robert Ward is a loudmouth puppet, parrot, idiot. I hold him in the same regard as I do ol' Charlie Bob. I've never heard of the other guy.
Point being, the DMCA is legislation written by corporate SIGs, for corporations, 'good 'ol boyed' thru the law making process, and revered as an equal to the Homeland Security Act. It is not a matter of National Security, or attempted murder, or solicitation of murder. Lets stay in perspective...Please!
Is Kwak going to use whatever info he gets to promote unsubscribed receiption of satellite signals?...Well of course he is, IF he get the info, but until then a crime has not been commited. I'm probably going to exceed the speed limit tomorrow at some point. I could even take out an ad in the local rag, or call DPS and tell them I intend to, but they arent going to come write me a ticket until I do. The whole DMCA thing needs to be thrown completely out and start over. Even making it a civil action would be better. If Echostar wanted to spank Kwak's butt in civil court, where intent and "who has the most believable story" wins the case, more power to them. This case should not even be considered in a criminal court of law. The DMCA has GOT...TO...GO!
Oh and I dont know if the reporter took the liberty of assumption, or was misinformed and reported erronously, but Echostar does not sell the CAM (smart card) It remains the property of Echostar.
Tony Perry's writing style strikes me as a Jr. reporter.

Last edited:
First, let me qualify my comments by saying I dont condone or approve of piracy. If someone gets caught doing it, they should have to answer for it. That being said, if this case holds water it is sad that the DMCA has enough moxy to get a conviction for an 'attempt' of any sort. That is TOO much power AFAIC. The govt is overstepping their bounds here. In fact this type of industrial reverse engineering is very common. DN and DTV have been locking horns over this very act for years. Anyone see Rupert going to jail for his part back then? NOT!
I have no love lost for Ergen, his cheezy service, piss poor customer service, and crooked business practices. If Nagrastar doesnt FINALLY get it right this time, it wont hurt my feelings if the patch-eye gang rape Echostar again.
Kwak is an opportunist. Profiting on the loss of others. Hell, virtually all the DVB mfgrs are, any that covertly sanctioned priateware for their products anyway. Robert Ward is a loudmouth puppet, parrot, idiot. I hold him in the same regard as I do ol' Charlie Bob. I've never heard of the other guy.
Point being, the DMCA is legislation written by corporate SIGs, for corporations, 'good 'ol boyed' thru the law making process, and revered as an equal to the Homeland Security Act. It is not a matter of National Security, or attempted murder, or solicitation of murder. Lets stay in perspective...Please!
Is Kwak going to use whatever info he gets to promote unsubscribed receiption of satellite signals?...Well of course he is, IF he get the info, but until then a crime has not been commited. I'm probably going to exceed the speed limit tomorrow at some point. I could even take out an ad in the local rag, or call DPS and tell them I intend to, but they arent going to come write me a ticket until I do. The whole DMCA thing needs to be thrown completely out and start over. Even making it a civil action would be better. If Echostar wanted to spank Kwak's butt in civil court, where intent and "who has the most believable story" wins the case, more power to them. This case should not even be considered in a criminal court of law. The DMCA has GOT...TO...GO!
Oh and I dont know if the reporter took the liberty of assumption, or was misinformed and reported erronously, but Echostar does not sell the CAM (smart card) It remains the property of Echostar.
Tony Perry's writing style strikes me as a Jr. reporter.
Disclaimer: I do not condone signal theft.

I did a writeup elsewhere on how many way this guy is in trouble just using the DMCA. It got deleted. :mad:

As a old-school hacker the breaking of the encryption is quite the task and thrill.
Vulnerabilities need to be published, or everyone will sit on their duff content with weak security. I talk mainly from the computer sense, but it applies everywhere else as well.

Any free person should be able to take on and break a publicly used encryption system. Note I only mean the encryption system. What data is there is a different matter. Older laws apply there quite well.

However the DMCA takes some given rights out of under peoples noses.
Freedom to use tools as you see fit after you have bought and paid for them. (Right of first sale)
Freedom from unlawful search and seizure. ("He broke our system officer, arrest him!") A civil case get brought in to criminal court.
Freedom to publish how you did it. (Freedom of speech and press)

That microscope he bought? Criminal intent, misuse of product (2 counts)
Intent to share how to break an encryption scheme? Heavy focus in the DMCA on so many way to criminalize a person with multiple counts.

Let me rephrase the above to something closer to how I originally wrote it:
Under the DMCA: You can break the encryption scheme. Perfectly legal.
You must make all of you tools to break it yourself. Any use of tools bought or made by some other person for you is a criminal offense
[In computer software this means any debugging tools- hex editors, compilers, everything is off-limits unless you code them all by hand yourself ignoring the code-vs-complier=chicken-egg problem]
You can NEVER share HOW with anyone (I mean everyone- no immediate family nonsense), or else anyone who used the encryption scheme can come after you for unknown (read: Obscene) damages, all while you are being taken through criminal court.

Oh and any Bush-Bashers can stuff themselves knowing this: the DMCA was written in 1996 and passed in 1998. Thanks Bill Clinton

Industrial espionage has been around for a very long time, Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse made millions from it.

Empty lawsuits have also been around a long time as a sort of corporate "siege warfare" tactic meant to drain the resources of a competitor. Charlie is a pro at this tactic.

Those folks who use these methods to prosper, also know how to manipulate the press to discourage those who may try to join the fray. It looks like nothing more than "smoke and mirrors" to me.

Whether or not N3 gets cracked is irrelevant, but using the criminal justice system to further corporate interests is a slippery slope......

"When our protectors have finished protecting us from ourselves, who then will protect us from our protectors ?"

Cad,
You cant cant toss those two names around and leave ol' Nik Tesla out of the mix.....lol
This is government ineptitude in it's finest form.
Let's let OJ slide on two murders.
Let's let Michael Jackson buy his way out of the (description of dispicalable acts ommited for sake of spider bots) allegations - TWICE!
Countless other celebs and wealthy people have perpetrated actual crimes against the people and didnt face anything near this type of consequences.
Bruce Willis said it best in Hostage...."F'n rich people"
Am I defending Kwak, not a chance. He is a pimple on the ass of the honest sector of society, right beside his buddies CE and Rupert to name a few more.
What I am defending is the right to not be charged with a crime until that crime has been commited. Where the hell is the constitution? For the record, I do support preemptive action for the sake of loss of life, national security etc, but this BS is off the hook.
If we are going to make "conspiricy" a criminal offense in this context, let's start with all those who are responsible for this statute existing in this outlandish form, since it is nothing more than a conspiricy against a persons right to due process, and subverts the judicial system's trial by evidentuary acts of criminal wrongdoing. Yes he talked about doing something illegal, but hasnt actually broken or copied anything. Copyright protection violation? I cant see it. By that logic, anyone who tried (unsuccesfully) to make a copy Jane Fonda's Workout tape back in the day should be in jail without bond.......hmmmm
Everyone ready to line up and get your subdermal tracking chip embedded in your skull bone (with the tamperdetecting micro explosives) so the govt can know where you are so they can "protect" you?
OMG George, it's a little passed 1984, but you were dead on right!
Too much power. At best this is a matter for the civil courts. The criminal justice system has no biz poking their collective noses in this until a criminal act has been commited. I hope you are right Cad and the whole thing gets thrown out, the DMCA needs a bitch slap.
This whole thing reminds me of a quote, what was the movie, Good night and Good luck maybe? Edward R. Murrow says "But I'm not a communist" . McCarthy says "You are if I say you are."
Too much power.
That probably wont mean a lot to those that didnt grow up in the era of a communist behind every bush, duck and cover drills at school, underground bomb shelters in the back yard, non perishable food storage, the iron curtain, the colds war, and Kent State University but those of you that did, you understand perfectly.
Excuse me while I peek out my closed blinds to see what that black helicopter is doing hovering over my house........

Last edited:
On the other hand, a theft from a corporation or a provable intent to commit such a theft in very large scale is an obvious criminal act, even if that corporation itself is also accused to be a thief by some others in related and unrelated matters (which might be the second nature of many competing corporations). Is it lawful to steal from a thief in general? In practice it probably depends on who can prove what. Lets watch, how the Court system decides such matters - we have a little choice but to trust these decisions anyway.

More interesting news from DishNewsOnline.

Last edited:
:confused:

Reminds me of that stupid minority report movie...

This is a stretch, even for probable cause. You know they will do this to see if someone cracks and rolls over on the others. If they find hard evidence, well then they get what they deserve. This methods blows....

:confused:

Reminds me of that stupid minority report movie...

This is a stretch, even for probable cause. You know they will do this to see if someone cracks and rolls over on the others. If they find hard evidence, well then they get what they deserve. This methods blows....
Yeah, even before Minority Report there was an Outer Limits episode where a woman professor creates a time machine and goes back to kill the bad guys before they even think about commiting the crime in her present. Talk about extreme retroactive....lol. Ultimately she confronts and kills the guy who kidnapped her as a child.....

Yeah, the old ends justify the means mentality. If they find evidence of what he has (allegedly) done with regard to the Nagra2 exploit, by all means take any and all actions necessary for the commision of a crime, but this "I want to buy a Nagra 3 cracker" is not a criminal act. I want to buy a bazooka, (for home protection of course) but I cant see the ATF showing up at my door because I said I "wanted to" buy one. Even if they did, wanting to possess such an item is a whole lot closer to commiting a crime against the people than wanting to possess the means to decrypt pay tv.
CC, I wouldnt bet against it either, considering the power and control Big Brother has come to acquire. You did state is quite correctly though, "My money is on DISHNETWORK winning." Maybe this AG's last job was in civil court, or maybe her financial records should be examined.....

When I say that I think Dish will win, don't think for a second that I think that they will deserve to win. 99 times in 100, the best paid lawyers take the prize.

Look at OJ. Dream team for the murder charge. Everybody can name off a few of his lawyers then. F. Lee Bailey and Cochraine are just a couple. Now who can name them in his last trial where he was sent to jail?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts