Wow while I was reading at LATIMES.com I found this about Viewsat Owner busted

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This story doesn't make sense. I know some criminals are stupid, but like mentioned, just buy a sub, get a recent card with it etc. 250k makes no sense.

I thought it was pretty stupid for this guy to get caught too (even more stupid to be doing what he allegedly got caught for), but this is what I've read about the case:
first of all, Kwak wasn't just looking for just any N3 access card, he was looking for one that hadn't been programmed and ready to send out to the public for use...hence the $250k pricetag...I imagine these things are pretty rare out side of Dishnetwork's hands.
second, an obscue news report from a SanDiego news website reported that the alleged electron microscope that was confiscated was actually only a $500 model, and not an electron scope. things that make you go, "hmmm?!?"
Also the supposed dissected N3 cards that were found at the site where he was arrested were actually about two years old (and Nagra2).

This is the interesting part:
have you ever heard that you cannot be tried twice for th same crime?
In other words if you are tried for murder and aquitted, you cannot be retried for that murder again...ever.
This is what Kwak was doing:
he was setting himself up to be busted with evidence that would not incriminate him. he purposefully planted hardware that would not link him to the crime he was arrested for....
now he's free to do his dirty work with out ever having to worry about getting caught or going to trial again.

Think he's so stupid now???

do I condone his activities? not on your life!
do I hope he gets off? don't bet on it.
will he need a great lawyer? a good one but not OJ's....

will Dishnetwork win this one? sadly, probably not.

off to legal fta...
~Q

When I say that I think Dish will win, don't think for a second that I think that they will deserve to win. 99 times in 100, the best paid lawyers take the prize.

Look at OJ. Dream team for the murder charge. Everybody can name off a few of his lawyers then. F. Lee Bailey and Cochraine are just a couple. Now who can name them in his last trial where he was sent to jail?

Is it Moe, Curly and Larry!

Sorry couldn't resist.

What about blind scan? I have heard some boxes the pirates use don't have that...

Or they do a transponder scan, given a freq. and SR, but call it blind scan.

If I MUST generate / use Channelmaster style channel lists, it's no good to me for FTA.

Channel master is a PITA because of the ads... and the eye-patch feel...

EDIT:
Ok, I'm allright with manually entering freq. and SR for PC DVB cards, but only to get HD / 4:2:0 / 4:2:2

Last edited:
Blind scan works fine on mine and is the real deal, no lists needed at all.

BTW most ALL fta receivers have been modified for pirate use at one time or another. Kind of funny how Viewsat is branded as a pirate box. Coolsat might as well be too but a lot of folks use them here.

The main pirate brands a long time ago was the Pansat, Fortec and Coolsat then it was the Viewsat, CNX, Captiveworks and Sonicview, now it's the Nfusion and K box.

Pansat, Fortec and Coolsat always worked well with the real fta stuff, the others pushed manly for the one market and lacked real blind scan and accurate motor control and ac3, this eventually was fixed on most models but took a very long time

Ok, Judgment time for me I guess...I bought a Viewsat Extreme a few years ago for PURE FTA purposes. Liked the remote, liked the OSD, pretty much thought it was a cool STB. I wanted to upgrade from my cs4000 without any possibilty of blind scan. Received the box and was happy with what I got. Does that make me a pirate? I certainly hope not. I am just defending what I have because I bought it for FTA, no funny business here. The blindscan works fine as well as everything else. I guess I just don't understand why the Viewsat brand is judged more than the other. Who cares if the company got more legal attention more than others. We are all here for FTA right?

BTW in recent days I bought a CS6000...the blindscan in the VS Extreme is pretty much equal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)