WRAL-TV Showcases Next Gen TV’s Potential

You concluded that from the article?

Yes, and from what Trip has said. Why do you have to be negative about everything that is posted here? Someone speaks with authority on a subject and you immediately question it and dispute whatever is said. I’m amazed that people like Trip, who actually work for the FCC and know what they’re talking about, continue to engage you.

Last edited:
Reactions: pamajestic
Maybe the name "Harshness" could be the answer??? Trying to be Captain Obvious here??? You have to have the negative to go with the positive in life to make things more exciting sometimes.

Why do you have to be negative about everything that is posted here?
I'm suspicious that Next Gen won't turn out any better for the consumer than DTV did. I see the bigger station groups being the much more likely (if not the sole) beneficiary of what Next Gen promises.

The proponents have been talking like they're absolutely certain that ATSC 3.0 will be the salvation of broadcast television. Maybe it will be, but many of them are the same people that gave us DTV and all of the features that did and didn't materialize with that technology and now they are pushing something new and incompatible ten years later.

I found the mobile part to be particularly disappointing as they're now allowing that tablets or greater will be required for the foreseeable future. The implication was that it would translate easily to phones and we perhaps believed them since the processing power is pretty comparable.

I get that people want to delight in what the future might bring, but I've been around long enough to witness that it isn't always as great as was pitched early on.

Reactions: Blindowl1234
WRAL is also using a clear UHF frequency for their tests. How will the VHF (especially VHF-Lo) band be received? We know what happened to DTV when they had to use the VHF band and how reception dropped off dramatically.

WRAL is also using a clear UHF frequency for their tests. How will the VHF (especially VHF-Lo) band be received? We know what happened to DTV when they had to use the VHF band and how reception dropped off dramatically.
Once they start testing in areas that have more complex topographies and more channels (where the repack and simulcasting will demand usage of the entire band), we should begin to find out if the new technologies work as theorized.

Mathematical models and approximations can only take you so far.

Another interesting article, which outlines potential tie-in's between 3.0 and the upcoming repack:
The tie-in being that both are going to put a heavy burden in engineering staffs to prepare for two mostly different things. They didn't speak to the additional cooperation that is going to need to happen at management levels to negotiate who gets what when the stations buddy up.

It is nice to see them finally talking about the realities of getting Next Gen up and running in a repack environment.

If Next Gen TV fails to garner any interest, it might be back to square one with the current DTV standard...

At this point, it sounds like the broadcasters are moving ahead full steam. The only potential failure I could see would be not enough buy-in from consumers. Heck, some people are buying "tuner free" TV's and completely oblivious that OTA exists at all. The broadcasters are really going to have to crank up their marketing game once they get 3.0 going.

Reactions: Justin Hill
At this point, it sounds like the broadcasters are moving ahead full steam. The only potential failure I could see would be not enough buy-in from consumers. Heck, some people are buying "tuner free" TV's and completely oblivious that OTA exists at all. The broadcasters are really going to have to crank up their marketing game once they get 3.0 going.
To avoid such a failure, much marketing is needed to get people interested, like they did with DTV during the 2009 switch. I do believe Next Gen TV is important for the future of broadcasting.

I suspect plans are afoot to kinda force us to ATSC 3.0. After all, isn’t there a Congressional mandate to find ways to “recover” (steal) more spectrum from OTA TV? The disappointing results from the last round will never penetrate La-La land.

I suspect plans are afoot to kinda force us to ATSC 3.0. After all, isn’t there a Congressional mandate to find ways to “recover” (steal) more spectrum from OTA TV? The disappointing results from the last round will never penetrate La-La land.
I have a feeling they might take away all the spectrum after radio astronomy UHF channel 37, which they could then use as a "guard band," but that would take a big bite out of the usable UHF TV spectrum. I hope whatever digital subchannels that get displaced move to a a lower UHF or VHF channel, or get remapped as digital subchannels on one of their sister stations.

I have a feeling they might take away all the spectrum after radio astronomy UHF channel 37, which they could then use as a "guard band," but that would take a big bite out of the usable UHF TV spectrum. I hope whatever digital subchannels that get displaced move to a a lower UHF or VHF channel, or get remapped as digital subchannels on one of their sister stations.
Have you been following the "Repack"? There was an auction and broadcasters sold the spectrum above 36. Here are the new channel allocations.
https://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php

Reactions: comfortably_numb
At this point, it sounds like the broadcasters are moving ahead full steam.
We're seeing a lot of chatter from a few on the scale of Sinclair and PBS, but not much from the others. I don't think it is fair to say that they're all on board.
The only potential failure I could see would be not enough buy-in from consumers.
This is a show stopping failure should it come to pass and it is entirely possible absent a mandate. It doesn't matter what the technical merits of Next Gen are if the OTA hold-outs aren't interested.
Heck, some people are buying "tuner free" TV's and completely oblivious that OTA exists at all. The broadcasters are really going to have to crank up their marketing game once they get 3.0 going.
It doesn't seem likely that those who have lost interest are going to rediscover OTA; especially if they can't conveniently consume it on the devices that they now use to view content. This is not necessarily a Field of Dreams as consumer intertia is a formidable force; especially if there's little compelling on the other side (see more at Ultra HD programming choices and successful applications of interactive programming).

The cable-based carrier lobby is a force that must not be dismissed as they have a lot more customers and plans to use other technologies to deliver the tasty bits that will attract customers. Customers don't care about advertising opportunities and bandwidth savings as long as they get the content they want.

I suspect plans are afoot to kinda force us to ATSC 3.0. After all, isn’t there a Congressional mandate to find ways to “recover” (steal) more spectrum from OTA TV?
The broadcasters theoretically have the option of making DTV stinky but absent a mandate, the repack and what the Next Gen order allows are the only official orders. Congress has asked for an alternative to DTV but they haven't chosen one.

In my mind, making DTV unpalatable has just as much (if not more) potential to end OTA altogether.

Not in our lifetimes. Broadcasters still have a mandate to make their stations available over the air as a public service.
If the broadcasters don't find a way to fund their operations, they'll take their marbles and go home. The government licenses an environment in which broadcaster may operate and be afforded some protections of DMA exclusivity but they don't guarantee that they will be able to remain solvent..

I'm suspicious that Next Gen won't turn out any better for the consumer than DTV did. I see the bigger station groups being the much more likely (if not the sole) beneficiary of what Next Gen promises.

The proponents have been talking like they're absolutely certain that ATSC 3.0 will be the salvation of broadcast television. Maybe it will be, but many of them are the same people that gave us DTV and all of the features that did and didn't materialize with that technology and now they are pushing something new and incompatible ten years later.

I found the mobile part to be particularly disappointing as they're now allowing that tablets or greater will be required for the foreseeable future. The implication was that it would translate easily to phones and we perhaps believed them since the processing power is pretty comparable.

I get that people want to delight in what the future might bring, but I've been around long enough to witness that it isn't always as great as was pitched early on.
I agree. I too am standing by the sidelines watching all this unfold. The DTV transition wasn't all that smooth. People that once had a decent analog signal couldn't get their station in digital. I remember people buying UHF antennas and of course the station they wanted was VHF. Stations changed frequencies in some cases, after the initial change. You can read various forums all day long where people in the boonies still have no OTA channels. I know I can hardly wait to replace all my Hdtv's with this breaking new technology lol