X1 Questions

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
My parents just switched from Dish to Comcast and they got the X1 DVR. A few questions:

1. The guide is horrendously cluttered and I can't seem to find an easy way to make them a favorites list to edit out all the repeated channels, premiums, music, sports packages, Comcast propaganda, and adult stuff they don't want in their guide. I figured out how to make a favorites list and the process is tedious. I am not going to do it unless I can make their default guide be the favorites list. Is there a way? If they have to hit guide 3 times, that isn't default and "not worth" their time.

2. Is there supposed to be an icon in the guide when a recording is set? My mom records a lot of shows and is used to the Dish guide having a timer icon to note in the guide that the program is set to record. Example: We set American Idol to record about 6 hours ago and there isn't anything in the guide that shows that it is set.

3. Is there an easy way to see what has been recorded? Functionally equivalent to Directv's "List" Button is what I am looking for. Anything involving menus is too confusing for them. If not, how does one find the list of recorded programs? Related, where is the "To do" list?

4. In the two hours it took to show them basic guide functions, the thing froze twice. Is the software/hardware stable?

5. Is Comcast ever going to make the channels have sort of flow in their order? My dad can't stand the way everything is scattered from 2-899. Example: locals are 3 4 5 6 9 14 19 21 22 44 145 172 301 302 318 320 321 331 702 703 705 731 733 744. That's just dumb. The 700s are the HD of some of the lower ones, but 731 is only HD.

1: Don't know. I would just like to get what I've subscribed to, but it appears only Dish has that option.

2: Yes, there is a red dot on the show in the guide on the far left side. You may have to go over 30minutes to see it depending on the length of hte name of the show.

3: Easy is a relative term. Hit the 'Xfinity' button (Menu). Scroll over to Saved. From that menu, you can set priorities, see the schedule, see what's recorded, etc. If there is an easier way, I haven't found it.

4: Unfortunately the answer is no. It appears that maybe the HW needs a SW update after install. My system was very unstable for the first few days. It's gotten better, but I reboot the system at least once a week. I haven't seen 'X1 is not available at the moment' for a while, but it still happens now and then. I believe the system rebooting each week has helped this.

5: I don't like this either, and I doubt they will change. It's frustrating too that the sports programs are all intermixed between different stations too. I spend most of my time in the 700's for the HD stations.

Last edited:
My parents just switched from Dish to Comcast and they got the X1 DVR. A few questions:

1. The guide is horrendously cluttered and I can't seem to find an easy way to make them a favorites list to edit out all the repeated channels, premiums, music, sports packages, Comcast propaganda, and adult stuff they don't want in their guide. I figured out how to make a favorites list and the process is tedious. I am not going to do it unless I can make their default guide be the favorites list. Is there a way? If they have to hit guide 3 times, that isn't default and "not worth" their time.

2. Is there supposed to be an icon in the guide when a recording is set? My mom records a lot of shows and is used to the Dish guide having a timer icon to note in the guide that the program is set to record. Example: We set American Idol to record about 6 hours ago and there isn't anything in the guide that shows that it is set.

3. Is there an easy way to see what has been recorded? Functionally equivalent to Directv's "List" Button is what I am looking for. Anything involving menus is too confusing for them. If not, how does one find the list of recorded programs? Related, where is the "To do" list?

4. In the two hours it took to show them basic guide functions, the thing froze twice. Is the software/hardware stable?

5. Is Comcast ever going to make the channels have sort of flow in their order? My dad can't stand the way everything is scattered from 2-899. Example: locals are 3 4 5 6 9 14 19 21 22 44 145 172 301 302 318 320 321 331 702 703 705 731 733 744. That's just dumb. The 700s are the HD of some of the lower ones, but 731 is only HD.
1. yes it takes some time getting to know the x1 guide its more interactive and has more information about each show. you going to have to go to settings to set up favorites.
2. A little red dot should be on the show when it records and it will show on box
5. the channels are confusing here in Pg County Maryland the channels are setup the same way the 200s have the locals and most popular hd channels the rest are in 800s

5. It can be set to only show the HD versions of channels. In my case it only shows the 700s and 800s. I think the setting is Auto Tune HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts