OTHER X2 Square Premium Dish?

acoleman3289

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
colmbus,ohio
Okay I am totaly new to fta. Bought a X2 Square Premium HD receiver thinking that I could use my Directv Dish it is their large 3lnb dish. Obvouisly it will be fixed. Can it be used? Will their LNB(Directv) work with it. Also need guideness on setting up the receiver.:confused::confused:

You can use that dish but DirecTV uses Ka band and that LNB sounds like a SWM( just guessing but really doesnt matter) and it will not work with any FTA receiver that I have seen..Plus other than Directv using Ka band the only other I can think of off the top of my head is Wild Blue so basically that lnb is useless for starting up an FTA system.

The dish can be modified to accept a Ku lnb but best advice I can give if you really want to get into FTA is buy a dish no smaller than a 90cm and a good lnb..Myself I am a big fan of Invacom`s products for a Ku dish.There is alot of other cheap lnb`s on the market with big claims but you know the old saying..You get what you pay for!!!.

You will soon find if you go forward that there is more to be desired and a motor would be in order..sg2100 or sg6100 are good choices for this.

Not really sure about that x2 but from what folks write it seems to be a good FTA box for the money.

Good luck.

The pay tv systems use much higher power than the fta birds do, so they can get away with a smaller dish. And their signals are using "circular polarization"-- you want a real ku dish for free to air that has a linear lnbf (linear polarization). Find a used dish on craigslist or look around in your area for an unused ku dish, like on a closed store or gas station,car dealership. If you're lucky you might find an old primestar tv dish, those were before dish/directv and used linear lnbfs, plus they are big enough for good free to air use. A lot of us are using them now. Or, of course you can always buy one and have it shipped, but anything bigger than about 1meter will get expensive on shipping.

Ideally, yes. But my dad is weird about that. He can have all the scrap metal and machinery lying around he wants and it's all good. If I or my mom have stuff sitting around, it's "clutter." :)
Mesh or perf quadrants stack neatly in a basement. You might build a crate for the other pieces to tidy things up.

This old house doesn't have a basement. Just some bricks and stones over a huge mud hole from all the rain we got this year. It's literally a sloping hole in the earth about five to six feet deep. Apparently, this is the way potatoes and other root crops were stored in the 19th century. I felt like Indiana Jones the time I ran new RG6 just a few feet under my room to the outside wall. Nearly fell into the pit! I'll just have to be patient and wait until I have some space of my own I fear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)