XBOX 360 3 flashing red lights

boston area dtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
Boston
I know its commonplace for the 360 to fail.

After reading about it for years on the web, my brothers failed, my friends failed, and well mine failed last night.

I did everything I was supposed to, unplugged. plugged yadda yadda yadda, and its still 3 flashing red.

I have come to the realization that I will have to ship it and have it repaired. For a whlie I thought I was imune to the issue. I played it regurlarly (to my wife's chagrin) and had it for a couple of years and figured I got lucky with a decent model.

Anyway, before I slap the label on the box, pack it up and ship it out tomorrow, is there anyway I can fix this at home. I really am not a technical guy, so if you tell me to open it up and solder this and that, Id really end up doing extra damage. But if its something easy like pulling out a board and reinserting it that I am capable of.

So my question is have any of you had any luck repairing your 360 at home? oh yeah and if so how did you do it?

Mine died last week, it was one of the origional launch day units.

Called Microsoft and they are replacing it for me. Just sent the other one back to them the other day.

I was impressed with the customer service at Microsoft on the issue.

I saw a way to do it using a towel, goggle search it you will find it.
My sons went out a few months back and it only took 1 weeks time from the time I shipped it to the time I received the replacement.
If you do send it back make sure you take the hard drive and face plate off. I left my face plate on because it was the factory faceplate, and when I got the replacement it had no faceplate on it. I had to call them and they sent me a new faceplate.

I am impressed with the way microsoft is handling this. I called up and they gave me no hassle. I printed out the shipping label and have it ready to go.

I took off the hard drive but will go back to make sure I take off the face plate.

As for the towel trick I read about it, but read that it was a temporary fix.

I guess I will take the safe route and send it back.

Thanks for all of your quick responses. I love the people help people on this site.

You should be able to leave the faceplate on, if it's the original. I've sent 2 back for repair and have never taken it off. They suggest removing it, only if it's a custom faceplate.

You should be able to leave the faceplate on, if it's the original. I've sent 2 back for repair and have never taken it off. They suggest removing it, only if it's a custom faceplate.
Well thats what I thought too as mine wasn't custom. But when I received the replacement there was no faceplate on it. When I called MS about it they said I was suppose to have removed it before sending it in. I stated it was the factory faceplate and not a custom one so they just sent me faceplate.

Mine died last week, it was one of the origional launch day units.

Called Microsoft and they are replacing it for me. Just sent the other one back to them the other day.

I was impressed with the customer service at Microsoft on the issue.

Be impressed when you get it back. Took my buddy over a month to get his. Not saying that it is always the case...just don't count your chickens.

Be impressed when you get it back. Took my buddy over a month to get his. Not saying that it is always the case...just don't count your chickens.
Maybe I was just lucky, but like I said I received mine within a week after sending mine to them. The shipped the replacement the same day they received it :).

My kid has had to send his off 6 times in last 14 months, 5 being in the last 7 months for repair. Last 3 repairs were handled quickly, but the first several it was 3-4 weeks or more each time.

Has it been said MS extended warrranty to 3 yr

This error is so commonplace MS extended warrenty to 3 yr.
Must be unopened unit.
I sent in last week and got back in 7 days.
Faceplace left on and returned on.
Towel fix is not long term fix.
I think it is quieter than old unit.
Just my one experience and it was a good one.

My Five year old was playing Banjo-kazooie Nuts &Bolts today, all the sudden froze up.
Mom shut it off and turned back on to red rings. So she called best buy and they said to bring in so Geek squad could check it. :rolleyes: Well of course it was dead, we had the 2 year warranty on it so they replaced it with a 60gig and also came with indy jones and Kungfu panda. Plus with the cost difference we got a 79 gift card. plus extended two year warranty. So all in all good deal.:)
Now if my playstation was that easy to take care of. Had to send it in total now 6 times. :( On its way to texas as we speak.

Bret

My Five year old was playing Banjo-kazooie Nuts &Bolts today, all the sudden froze up.
Mom shut it off and turned back on to red rings. So she called best buy and they said to bring in so Geek squad could check it. :rolleyes: Well of course it was dead, we had the 2 year warranty on it so they replaced it with a 60gig and also came with indy jones and Kungfu panda. Plus with the cost difference we got a 79 gift card. plus extended two year warranty. So all in all good deal.:)
Now if my playstation was that easy to take care of. Had to send it in total now 6 times. :( On its way to texas as we speak.

Bret
6 times? That's rather absurd for a 360 and mind-blowing for a PS3. Is there anything funky in your setup? Is it getting enough ventilation or is it in a bad outlet or something?

No funky setup i take care of it like my child and i have had the blueray go out the yellow light of death i guess you could call it. I also have had it freeze up every time you put anything in it. It sits out in plain open space. Just moved to Arizona and had them wait and ship it back to me when i got here,and recieved it from California,because they had me send it to some tech place there and turned on and froze up. So again back to Texas they say. It is a 60 gig. But i love it so i will keep trying maybe i will luck out this time.

No funky setup i take care of it like my child and i have had the blueray go out the yellow light of death i guess you could call it. I also have had it freeze up every time you put anything in it. It sits out in plain open space. Just moved to Arizona and had them wait and ship it back to me when i got here,and recieved it from California,because they had me send it to some tech place there and turned on and froze up. So again back to Texas they say. It is a 60 gig. But i love it so i will keep trying maybe i will luck out this time.

Very strange - it's rare to hear of any issues with the PS3 (my Jan. '07 60 GB is still perfect), let alone that many......

519DPTK56XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)