Xbox One to be sold without Kinect for $399 starting June 9

I would have bought a Kinectless version for $100 less if it was an option. I don't use the TV features and I haven't played any games that use Kinect in a meaningful way. Dead Rising 3 lets you yell to draw zombies towards you and Ryse has voice commands for telling your archers to fire but you can just press LB instead. Kinect focused games like Kinect Sports Rivals aren't my thing.

It's one of those things that's cool to show off but not essential in my opinion. I do use the Xbox Pause command instead of reaching for a controller when watching Amazon Instant or a Blu-ray.

They said this thing can sense your heart rate and facial expressions and change the game based on those variables. I hope to see some controller based games use these features and find innovative ways to show us why we have this thing sitting in our living room. So far I haven't seen it and jumping around the room doesn't make sense to me unless I'm playing a fitness game.

If nothing else, it shows that Microsoft is really taking in user feedback, and not just sticking to it's guns to push stuff down gamers' throats that no one wants. That said, if I ever decided to get a One I'd likely get the Kinect version just because I got kids and I could see them doing dance games on it (which are also fun for the occasional drunken activity) and other stuff that could be used educational.

I'm glad to see Games With Gold making it's way to Xbox One too. In my opinion PS Plus is the biggest benefit Sony has over Microsoft. You can tell that Microsoft has listened to all the negative feedback about how old the free games they give away are because they are starting to get more relevant. As someone who owns both new systems the fact that Sony basically forced Microsoft into launching this program is great. When they compete with each other to have the best free game program I win.

I do wish Dark Souls was coming to PS Plus instead of Games With Gold though. I no longer have my 360 but my PS3 is still hooked up.

I'll eventually replace the 2 remaining 360s in our household. A single Xbox One Kinect unit is plenty. My oldest hardly uses it. No need for 3 kinects in my house. Good move by M$.

I'm glad to see Games With Gold making it's way to Xbox One too. In my opinion PS Plus is the biggest benefit Sony has over Microsoft. You can tell that Microsoft has listened to all the negative feedback about how old the free games they give away are because they are starting to get more relevant. As someone who owns both new systems the fact that Sony basically forced Microsoft into launching this program is great. When they compete with each other to have the best free game program I win.

I do wish Dark Souls was coming to PS Plus instead of Games With Gold though. I no longer have my 360 but my PS3 is still hooked up.

Capitalism.gif

Games with Gold, Camera not required, pay services without Gold.

Looks like Xbox finally gave in to the pressure from Playstation. Sales numbers are probably a big reason.

Good to have the choice, but for my use, and I wouldnt have thought so before I got it, the kinect is pretty key in making the Xbox one unique.
I wonder how many will wonder why their new xbox wont respond to voice commands on the new base model?

Good to have the choice, but for my use, and I wouldnt have thought so before I got it, the kinect is pretty key in making the Xbox one unique.
I wonder how many will wonder why their new xbox wont respond to voice commands on the new base model?

This also means that there will be less incentive for developers to use it. Not that they've really done much with it already. Most of what I like about Kinect are the convenience features. I can sign into Live by just coming into the room. Voice control. And the console being aware of where my controller is sitting so it can put it in low power mode when I have it sitting on the coffee table while I'm watching something.

I think most people buying this know there's no voice commands, and I think that Microsoft will likely now sell the Kinect as a stand-alone so users can upgrade if they want, similar to what the 360 did.

On a side note, I didn't realize the games coming for free next month. Dark Souls and SSF4: Arcade Edition are 2 quite appealing games.

Not everyone is thrilled with the concept of a Kincect-less One...

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/13/xbox-one-without-kinect-harmonix/

And this made me laugh... getting a "reward" for being an early adopter?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...nfirms-It-Wont-Reward-Early-Xbox-One-Adopters

Expecting a reward for being an early adopter is ridiculous. That's the price you pay for getting a product on day one. It wasn't long after launch that they started putting out bundles that included Forza and then later Titanfall. Then they even started selling that Titanfall bundle for $450 which is a much better deal than an Xbox One with no game and no Kinect for $400.

There are benefits too though. Some of us have been able to use our systems for 6 months already. Assuming you are going to get whatever the next console that comes out at launch too you might be paying less per month of use than someone who buys the system a year or two after launch at a discount. For me, I knew I would get one eventually and I didn't expect a price drop for at least a year or two so it was worth it to me to pay $500 and get it right away than wait who knows how long for a price drop.

Kinect developers may have a more valid point. They went into development thinking their potential market would include each and every Xbox One sold. If a significant portion of the Xbox One install base suddenly doesn't own a Kinect their potential sales significantly drop. That being said, many of the people who choose to buy an Xbox One without a Kinect probably wouldn't have been interested in a Kinect game anyways. Sure, some people will make this decision purely on price but many people like myself just aren't interested in motion controls and don't want to be forced to pay a premium for them. I do think the Kinect will be much more prevelant this generation than it was on the 360 simply because it was the default at the beginning. Just like how most people originally bought the Pro 360 that included the hard drive instead of the Core model that needed memory cards most people will probably buy the version that has the whole package.

I likely would have bought the cheaper version without the Kinect if it was available at the time but I don't regret my purchase. It's a sunk cost and now I just want some creative developers to show me why I have this thing in my living room. Kinect Sports Rivals is not the answer.