XBOX One

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stoney

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
fresno,ca
so with the new XBOX coming out next month. With the new multimedia add ons will my HD Gini be compatible?

Is the XBOX One RVU compatible? If not then it will not work with the Genie for sure.

He is not talking about using it as an RVU. The Xbox One has an HDMI in that is meant to be used with your existing cable or satellite box. It will overlay it's own guide on top of the video signal it gets from your cable/satellite box. This allows you to change channels using voice control with the kincet or using the smart glass app on your smartphone or tablet. They have not officially announced providers that will have guide information at launch but they have said that are trying to make it work with all providers. I would guess that Directv and Dish will be two of the first providers with guide info due to the fact that they are very large national providers.

Here is some more information about it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-live-tv-only-available-in-the-us-at-launch

Also, Wired did an interview showcasing the Xbox One's TV capabilities and the provider they used was Direct Tv

SatelliteGuys won't let me post a youtube link, but just youtube Wired Xbox One TV Integration and its there

Xbox One will get guide data from a 3rd party just like DirecTV and Dish, and won't need special treatment to work with our boxes because Kinect has an IR emitter on it that'll flood your living room w/ signals and the system will be programmable like a Harmony remote

The still need to have guide information for each individual provider or the Xbox won't know what channel number to blast to your box. That part should be relatively easy but what about DVR functions? I would bet you still need to use your Directv remote to manage your DVR unless they specifically program it to work with each individual DVR type.

Functions like play and pause should work because they can easily be mapped to a universal remote. Simply saying "Xbox record series" or "Xbox delete episode" probably won't work out of the box simply because each company's DVR menus are different. The same goes for selecting a show to watch off the DVR. I doubt "Xbox watch The Walking Dead on the DVR" will work. The TV voice control is a cool gimmick for live TV but I don't think it will work for people who watch most content off their DVR.

Last edited:
That's 2 different things though. Is there a button on your remote you press to record series? I don't think that command exists, instead you press record twice. If there's no 'button' for it then that won't work. I don't expect 100% functionality, but at the same time wouldn't be surprised if saying 'record' and then saying 'record' again records the series, because that emulates button presses.

If up, down, left right work, that's another matter entirely, not sure, you'd need your remote to change the first run/repeats setting, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's 2 different things though. Is there a button on your remote you press to record series? I don't think that command exists, instead you press record twice. If there's no 'button' for it then that won't work. I don't expect 100% functionality, but at the same time wouldn't be surprised if saying 'record' and then saying 'record' again records the series, because that emulates button presses.

If up, down, left right work, that's another matter entirely, not sure, you'd need your remote to change the first run/repeats setting, etc.

Right. That is exactly my point. If commands can't be easily mapped to a universal remote they likely won't work with this. You're right. Saying record twice might work to record a series.

What about playing back an episode though? I doubt you can say "Xbox play The Walking Dead from my DVR." For that to work the Xbox would have to know the correct series of commands to even get into the DVR menu and then it would have to be able to read title names to get to the right show. Not gonna happen.

Again I think this is a cool gimmick for live TV but most of us are going to need our standard remotes too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that was the difference between integration and no integration for Google TV and Dish receivers, but not sure we can expect anything like that in this case just yet. Hopefully in a generation or two cable and sat boxes employ open APIs to allow for external applications to retrieve that data when permitted. Maybe even an app to connect with the Xbox One for example.

Sent from my VZW Note 3

Or, if you're like me and use RF instead of IR because your D* box is in a cabinet, the IR blaster in the Kinect won't be good for much at all. Nonetheless, I can't wait for the Xbox ONE. Dead Rising 3!

Unless it's completely obscured I wouldn't count it out completely.

It acts as a IR blaster on steroids, sending out so many IR beams that it completely fills a room. These beams bounce off walls and other surfaces, reflecting back at any exposed device in the room. This means that your electronics on shelves, even behind glass, will be able to be controlled by the Xbox One. (via http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-interface-is-clean-uncluttered-262315.phtml)

My Logitech GoogleTV box was out of line of site of my D* box and had no problems controlling it, was a lot more functional than I expected

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)