Xbox One

I had the cables from dish to hdmi in and hdmi out to TV. I got the Xbox screen up, but couldn't get anything indicating to get the programming on. Box was on, so not sure. Maybe I'll play around a little more tonight or tomorrow. School started again yesterday which is why I have been posting less and less in the last couple weeks.

That's also why my answers seem less researched so anyone that sees me in the future, apologies ahead of time.

Here is what they are giving away.

image.jpg

I had the cables from dish to hdmi in and hdmi out to TV. I got the Xbox screen up, but couldn't get anything indicating to get the programming on. Box was on, so not sure. Maybe I'll play around a little more tonight or tomorrow. School started again yesterday which is why I have been posting less and less in the last couple weeks.
You have to find the TV app. If it's not on the home screen go under Games and Apps. If it's not connected properly I believe it troubleshoot it. If not just let me know. I rather be hands on but this is an easy connection (and you still use the dish remote) that I think I can do it remotely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I honestly didn't look at the hard drive size but no game came with it. I remember systems coming with a demo game at least. I really just wanted to play with the pas through but I can't find it on the damn system. Wiring was correct with hdmi in and out. I do not have an IR blaster which seems to be required.

Here is what they are giving away.

View attachment 109402

As someone who is pretty into gaming and uses my Xbox One a lot I thought I should point out a few things here. First of all the picture you added later says that your system includes a download code for The Master Chief Collection. You are probably used to the old days when you had to buy everything on a cartridge and get up to physically switch games out.

You can still buy discs these days but I buy all my games in download form. Whether you buy the disc or download the game still has to be installed to the hard drive and takes up the same amount of space. The only difference is that when you own the disc you have to put it in every time you want to play. This is to verify that you still have the copy and haven't sold it or let a friend have it.

What they gave you was actually an awesome collection. It's Halo 1-4 in one package, updated for the Xbox One. You need to find the code that came in your box and redeem it in the online store.

You don't need an IR blaster I don't believe

Originally you didn't need to buy an IR blaster because every Xbox One came with a Kinect. The Kinect has a powerful IR blaster built in that doesn't need to be pointed at your cable/satellite box to work. They have since dropped the Kinect from most bundles and dropped the price $100 to move more units. If you don't have a Kinect you have to buy an IR blaster to use the TV features.

Really though, the TV stuff wouldn't be very useful if you can't control it with your voice. You also need to turn on your Xbox every time you want to watch TV if you run your satellite box through it. I don't run my Tivo through mine even though I have a Kinect because I don't want to turn my Xbox on every time I watch TV.

I just leave my xbox on 24/7 and run my dish through it. Convenient having everything going into one input.

I just leave my xbox on 24/7 and run my dish through it. Convenient having everything going into one input.

They said these things were built to be left on like that if people choose to do so but I have a hard time believing that's good for the life of the device. Not only that but I'm too cheap to leave mine running like that.

I'm a stickler for energy efficiency in my house. If no one is in a room there isn't going to be a light left on, I keep the air conditioner a couple degrees higher than most in the summer, and the heater quite a bit lower than most in the Winter. The idea of trying to program the most efficient schedule into my Nest thermostat is actually entertaining to me. Even, if it doesn't make a huge difference in the monthly electricity bill I can't see myself being okay with my Xbox One running while I'm at work or asleep.

I knew there were downloads but you are correct. I prefer to have the disc and physically play that way. I haven't really enjoyed a video game since Twisted metal 2 on a piece of crap ps2 I bought while I was in Iraq. I have played a couple games since then, but not many. I'll try working with the pass through a little more.

As someone who is pretty into gaming and uses my Xbox One a lot I thought I should point out a few things here. First of all the picture you added later says that your system includes a download code for The Master Chief Collection. You are probably used to the old days when you had to buy everything on a cartridge and get up to physically switch games out.

You can still buy discs these days but I buy all my games in download form. Whether you buy the disc or download the game still has to be installed to the hard drive and takes up the same amount of space. The only difference is that when you own the disc you have to put it in every time you want to play. This is to verify that you still have the copy and haven't sold it or let a friend have it.

What they gave you was actually an awesome collection. It's Halo 1-4 in one package, updated for the Xbox One. You need to find the code that came in your box and redeem it in the online store.

Originally you didn't need to buy an IR blaster because every Xbox One came with a Kinect. The Kinect has a powerful IR blaster built in that doesn't need to be pointed at your cable/satellite box to work. They have since dropped the Kinect from most bundles and dropped the price $100 to move more units. If you don't have a Kinect you have to buy an IR blaster to use the TV features.

Really though, the TV stuff wouldn't be very useful if you can't control it with your voice. You also need to turn on your Xbox every time you want to watch TV if you run your satellite box through it. I don't run my Tivo through mine even though I have a Kinect because I don't want to turn my Xbox on every time I watch TV.
Second part is false as I don't have Kinect and have my tv connected through X1 and use it from time to time in snap view.

I knew there were downloads but you are correct. I prefer to have the disc and physically play that way. I haven't really enjoyed a video game since Twisted metal 2 on a piece of crap ps2 I bought while I was in Iraq. I have played a couple games since then, but not many. I'll try working with the pass through a little more.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440645829.628491.jpg

From left to right

HDMI from receiver
HDMI to TV
Power

Second part is false as I don't have Kinect and have my tv connected through X1 and use it from time to time in snap view.

You can use it in snap view or watch TV through the Xbox but can you can control your cable/satellite box with it? I can change channels with my voice. I can turn the volume up and down, pause, resume, and fast forward my TiVo all using my voice. None of that works without an IR blaster.

But like I said before, all of that has limited use if you don't have a Kinect since it can't pick up your voice without it. If you buy an IR blaster you can use your controller or the Smartglass app to do all of those things but honestly it would be easier to just use your Dish remote at that point.

You can use it in snap view or watch TV through the Xbox but can you can control your cable/satellite box with it? I can change channels with my voice. I can turn the volume up and down, pause, resume, and fast forward my TiVo all using my voice. None of that works without an IR blaster.

But like I said before, all of that has limited use if you don't have a Kinect since it can't pick up your voice without it. If you buy an IR blaster you can use your controller or the Smartglass app to do all of those things but honestly it would be easier to just use your Dish remote at that point.
I just use my remote, I don't care about voice commands or all that haha

I just use my remote, I don't care about voice commands or all that haha

Me too. I don't even have my TiVo connected through the Xbox anymore. The voice stuff is the feature they really advertised their TV support for though. In my experience the only thing it was good for was pausing and resuming TV if I was eating and didn't want to touch the remote with my greasy hands.

If you aren't using voice controls the only thing the HDMI pass through is good for is snapping TV off to the side while you play a game. Since there isn't much TV content I want to watch in a little window while I play a game at the same time I just unhooked it so I wouldn't have to turn the Xbox on every time I watch tv.

My advice to ChadT41 is that he shouldn't bother buying an IR blaster or running his Dish receiver through the Xbox since he doesn't have a Kinect.

Me too. I don't even have my TiVo connected through the Xbox anymore. The voice stuff is the feature they really advertised their TV support for though. In my experience the only thing it was good for was pausing and resuming TV if I was eating and didn't want to touch the remote with my greasy hands.

If you aren't using voice controls the only thing the HDMI pass through is good for is snapping TV off to the side while you play a game. Since there isn't much TV content I want to watch in a little window while I play a game at the same time I just unhooked it so I wouldn't have to turn the Xbox on every time I watch tv.

My advice to ChadT41 is that he shouldn't bother buying an IR blaster or running his Dish receiver through the Xbox since he doesn't have a Kinect.
I likely will not in the log run, just because how little I use it, especially while in school again, but I want To understand the technology and how it works. That's why I wanted the system was to learn how it works. As mentioned, I'm not a gamer, but I am sure the kids will love it when I am comfortable with a 3 and 6 year old near it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)