xbox wireless or wired internet connection?

Islandguy43

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Grand Island, NY
I just bought myself a late christmas present "xbox 360".

I am curious on how people are connecting their xbox to internet, for the xbox live feature. Are you using a wired connection or the xbox wireless adapter? How good are those xbox wireless adapters; they seem a bit pricey ($100)?

Has anyone tried the homeplug adapter similar to the one we can use with our E* stb?

I just bought myself a late christmas present "xbox 360".

I am curious on how people are connecting their xbox to internet, for the xbox live feature. Are you using a wired connection or the xbox wireless adapter? How good are those xbox wireless adapters; they seem a bit pricey ($100)?

Has anyone tried the homeplug adapter similar to the one we can use with our E* stb?
I have the wireless adapter. Overall I have no complaints. Recently it's been crapping out a bit on me every blue moon, but putting it in a different slot usually fixes that.

I'll be the first to admit that $~85 is very steep, but I haven't experienced any latency or networking problems with it, so if you're looking for a really simple solution, the wireless adapter is the way to go.

The wireless adapter is pretty crappy, in my experience (and a bit expensive, as mentioned). I'd recommend getting a wireless gaming adapter.

XBox Live rocks.. :) As for wireless.. I agree with everyone, get a wireless extender like the gaming adapter.. you can pick one of for at least half the price of the wireless adapter microsoft offers..

XBox Live rocks.. :)
I think Yahtzee said it best when he said about XBL,

"The 360 has the best online support with the Xbox Live malarkey, although the player base can be charitably described as 'lively' and uncharitably described as 'a bunch of hooting d*ckholes'"

I use this. Occasionally it needs a reboot by powering off an on but not that often and only at start up
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-B-Game-Adapter-WGA11B/dp/B0002M4HXC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231862911&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Linksys Wireless-B Game Adapter WGA11B - Network adapter - Ethernet - 802.11b: Electronics[/ame]

I would go with wired. It is the most stable and gives the fastest speeds and you don't have to worry about your 2.4ghz phones interfering with the signal.

I would go with wired. It is the most stable and gives the fastest speeds and you don't have to worry about your 2.4ghz phones interfering with the signal.
Given your situation though you may have to worry about tripping over the long wire you're running. Also, isn't the phone interference alleviated as long as you put your wireless network on a different frequency channel, like other than 1 or 6?

The wireless adapter was the centerpeice of the 'Xbox is too expensive' campaign Sony was running at CES lol.

They've got a point with the wireless adapter, we're getting fleeced unless you look at other options (which most wont do, which is why Sony sells expensive HDMI cables for the PS3) but calling the signifigantly more successful competition 'more expensive' when your console is the one that 'people should want to pay more for because it's a Playstation' is just awesome.

The same email + graph had the Wii listed as 'lacking features' or something too.

If at all possible I would always go wired.

This is our house. I have a switch I had laying around behind the TV now, with PS3, HR21, 360 and other stuff connected to it, and a single cable run over to the router that our PCs are connected to.

The wireless adapter was the centerpeice of the 'Xbox is too expensive' campaign Sony was running at CES lol.

They've got a point with the wireless adapter, we're getting fleeced unless you look at other options (which most wont do, which is why Sony sells expensive HDMI cables for the PS3) but calling the signifigantly more successful competition 'more expensive' when your console is the one that 'people should want to pay more for because it's a Playstation' is just awesome..

Yeah no one calls Sony out on the fact that it isn't even HD capable out of the box! My 360 Elite came with composite, component AND HDMI cords. The PS3 comes with COMPOSITE cables, and even though they look similar, they don't even work with the old PS2 version. To be fair, a decent HDMI cord costs significantly less than a wireless adapter (let's not forget that there used to be PS3 models WITHOUT wireless capabilities), but to sell an HD-based system without the proper cords is like selling a sports car without the 2 highest transmission gears included.

They're actually more than I thought, Best Buy has 3 HDMI cables from Sony, all in the $69-$79 range.

Proponents then counter with the fact you can get an HDMI cable for just a few dollars from Monoprice.com... this to me is the equivalent of saying Blu-Ray will do fine at $30/disc (thankfully this has come down a little) at big box retailers because you can just order online at Amazon for less.

They're actually more than I thought, Best Buy has 3 HDMI cables from Sony, all in the $69-$79 range.

Proponents then counter with the fact you can get an HDMI cable for just a few dollars from Monoprice.com... this to me is the equivalent of saying Blu-Ray will do fine at $30/disc (thankfully this has come down a little) at big box retailers because you can just order online at Amazon for less.
Yes, obviously the "typical" consumer is who these "schemes" are aimed at; those who aren't very tech savvy or don't truly "shop around" and research items before they buy them, instead going by what people at the stores tell them or just going with pure convenience. It's easier to just buy a PS3 HDMI cable at the same area you buy your PS3 as opposed to waiting online for some great deal for the PS3 then placing an order on Monoprice or another one of the cheap online stores for an HDMI cord.

Yes, obviously the "typical" consumer is who these "schemes" are aimed at; those who aren't very tech savvy or don't truly "shop around" and research items before they buy them, instead going by what people at the stores tell them or just going with pure convenience. It's easier to just buy a PS3 HDMI cable at the same area you buy your PS3 as opposed to waiting online for some great deal for the PS3 then placing an order on Monoprice or another one of the cheap online stores for an HDMI cord.

Not when you can save 75% of your money it isn't wise to just buy it there at the store.

Not when you can save 75% of your money it isn't wise to just buy it there at the store.
That's my point. It's convenience/gullibility versus economics/research. There's a large number of consumers who don't realize that sales people at BB or CC are "SALES" people, not "We'll help you pick out the best item that balances price and quality" people. Obviously people like us know that many electronics and cords can be purchased online often at big discounts, but someone like my dad or (god forbid) my grandparents are just going to walk into a store and go with whatever the sales person tells them to do. I know of the expression "Buyer Beware", but I just don't like it when a company plays off of consumer ignorance in order to boost profits.

Problem with buying it online, after you've bought the hardware, is people will hook it up with composite or whatever is included and many will consider it "good enough" and not bother to buy the high-quality cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)