XM in Europe

mggvp6

Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Good Morning

This may be a real stupid or obvious question, but I thought I would give it a try..................

I know that XM has two satellites, one in an orbit over the West Coast and the other over the East Coast. What is the possibility that a signal could be received in the Middle East(Kuwait/Iraq)?? Does anyone have any experience with Satellite radio in Europe and the Middle East?

Thank you!

I know someone will correct me if i am wrong, but the xm satellites barely get a signal into alaska. i think the terms of service for xm indicate service is for the lower 48 states only.

KTMCDO said:
unless of course you have a us billing address you could get xm using
the xmonline service
http://www.xmradio.com/xstream/service/account/index.jsp

No, not even with a US billing address. He's asking if XM satellites can be received in Europe and the Mid-East. No, they can not. Reception is limited to North America.

Sure, if you want to only listen online then you'd have to just sign up for that but he didn't ask about anything other than satellite reception. A US billing address isn't going to give you satellite signal where none exists. They're on they wrong side of the world for any XM satellite reception.

The XM sat at 85 deg W has a sidelobe which has been heard in the Azores and this is the furthest east I know of that someone has received XM. However, once the satellites are below the horizon, there is no chance whatsoever in receiving the satellite. If it is above the horizon in your location, you might be able to rig up a parabolic dish to concentrate a weak signal enough to be able to listen to it, but both XM sats are well below the horizon in the middle east so this isn't a possibility. I'd suggest you look into subscribing to Worldspace which does cover the middle east. The radios are pretty cheap and readily available in Europe, and you can mail order them if you can't find them in stores. The quality isn't as good, and there's an antenna on top that you tilt towards the satellite, but it's the best you can get out there in those parts :)

pretzelboy said:
No, not even with a US billing address. He's asking if XM satellites can be received in Europe and the Mid-East. No, they can not. Reception is limited to North America.

Sure, if you want to only listen online then you'd have to just sign up for that but he didn't ask about anything other than satellite reception. A US billing address isn't going to give you satellite signal where none exists. They're on they wrong side of the world for any XM satellite reception.

True. I'm in Ireland and worked in Dallas for 3 months last year. I got a few rent a cars while I was there and some of them had Sirius. I loved it and looked it up when I got back here. No joy, you can't get Sirius/xm in Europe. There are other operators here, like worldspace and some smaller operations but it hasn't really taken off here yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)