XM MERGER IS A DONE DEAL!!!

GoalieBob --> my sentiments exactly:

I am not trying to start a rumor (I guess when you preface it like that, you are . . . lol), but anyone want to guess how many months it takes for Dish and Direct to revisit discussions of combining forces?

Hopefully this means soon I can add my factory XM radio to my Sirius account.

XM is saying that they will continue offering their standard package for $12.99 ($6.99 per additional unit), and a package including some selection of Sirius channels for $16.99. How it shakes-out in account management terms is anyone's guess.

One can only hope that it's done better than Sprint/Nextel (or anything touching Sprint). Almost a year after that merger, I tried to switch from Nextel to Sprint. They still had separate account-management, but had pushed Sprint's worse-than-terrible customer service into the Nextel mix. After a month of Sprint I switched to Cingular.... who then had a seamless transition into the AT&T umbrella.

I believe Sirius had the better chance of turning profitable. Personally, I think Sirius would have been better off if they just outwaited XM and let them go bankrupt. Obviously, more knowledgeable people thought otherwise.

When this whole merger thing started, it was my understanding that the savings that would accrue would be not only due to administrative efficiencies, but to selecting one of the satellite systems and consolidating on that. I don't think they plan to keep them both running indefinitely. And I wouldn't expect a doubling of offerings. Or have they made announcements to the contrary?

If E* & D* merge, I hope the ViP series is carried forward. Or Fios gets a good DVR and "I'm outta heah."

Last edited:
Regarding nepotism and other aspects of the merger...

I see both companies spent well beyond their mean's... How and why?

By adding and signing a seemingly endless list of exclusive programming, that were, in many cases, deep in niche categories, in my opinion, were simply representations of irresponsible management and seemingly out of control extravagant expenditures... all in an attempt to out do one another.

There's responsible competition, and then there's just plain stupidity... both gambled...

Sirius, in resent quarters, has seen very healthy growth, juxtaposed to its previous underdog position, earlier in the game.

To be quite frank, I use XM primarily for BBC World. Then CNN, FoxNews, NPR, XMComedy, Classical, Jazz, Chill, Alternative, Bluegrass, and Disney (for my daughter). And that's pretty much it. I have eclectic tastes in music, news and information, and that's where both satellite radio providers excelled in my personal wants and needs. That doesn't mean the personality driven exclusives' don't have their place, but at what cost(s)? I believe, programming and production costs, got way out of hand.

When I'm in the car, for the most part, I'm in it for a minimum of an hour or longer... I use my iPod, as well, to supplement, which is also interfaced through the Prius' entire system, to listen to my personal musical choices, genres, and podcasts...

Personally, I hate commercials, and both companies, when launched, based their entire operations on the basis of commercial free services. The introduction of commercials, were in part, due in part, to a lack of profitability.

I had Sirius installed, when I had my Jeep Liberty (back then, the unit was fairly large, and resided under the driver's seat). When I purchased my Prius, back in December of '04, XM was the only service that was manufactured as a Toyota compatible receiver (a black-box), that would allow full operation functionality through the vehicle's steering wheel toggles, and touch LCD display.

My preference, as to musical programming leans towards Sirius, and I hope to see it them lead programming decisions...

As I see it... if both companies maintained reasonable productions, at reasonable costs, both could have been profitable, today. Looking back, they've both spent copious amounts of money towards costly, exclusive productions, featuring well known personalities, which I viewed as, enormously excessive in compensation, thus pulling both services into, and maintained in, non-profitability.

My position, and it's quite obvious, one must run a business responsibly, or you'll ultimately pay the price, through failure.

Again, let me reiterate... this decision, can and most likely, will have far a reaching impact on future merger proposals... as it clearly establishes and sets precedence.

Now, as to personnel redundancy... both companies have had to write off losses, while adding more and more costly programming. They still operate at a loss. How must they address this...? Anyone who thinks Sirius/XM will not significantly combine operational costs, reduce staff, and redundancies... as they will now be able to combine CSR operations, engineering, administration, programming, etc... is missing the meaning for the merger. Both of them must cut operational costs, dramatically, and that means their human assets will have to be drastically reduced in order to become profitable. People are going to lose their jobs... and again, it'll be tough to find a new position within the industry.

The Commission ordered both companies, in the past, to manufacture and promote receivers that were capable of receiving both services... they both baulked at the mandates, as they wanted to maintain reasonable exclusivity, when it came to vehicle receivers.

The sole purpose of this venture is to reduce costs by combining both entities... But, by maintaining a 'status quo' concerning operations, will simply defeat the cost effective objectives of combining both services.

Consider... why program and maintain 2 different classical, jazz, alternative, etc, etc, etc channels? Why have twice as many Program Directors, GMs, jocks, etc...

I believe, both have behaved irresponsibly, but it was part of their business model(s)... XM's case, it's quite obvious, they kept pushing the envelope, and very recently, were required to take out an additional securities offering to raise funds to subsidize operations, to continue service (some where shy of $700 million) in the last week.

Both could have eventually become profitable, on their own, if left to make decisions on their own merits, by downsizing certain aspects of their operations.

I've worked a good portion of my life in media (broadcast radio, television, as well as cable). I've been in management, a producer, and an on-air personality. And yes, the media business is one of constant turmoil, volatility, and turnover... it isn't one of the fields one looks to for job security, and I can say that from personal experience!

It is, in my opinion, a situation, if were left well enough alone, in the long run, both would have eventually wised up... shareholder's would eventually demanded more lean, responsible and cost effective operations... trim their excessive expenses and eventually become profitable... by taking the merger route, an anticompetitive one, from my perspective, leaves us with less choice, and basically removes the competitive aspect to the business.

I'll agree with those who have stated, there is still competition with terrestrial OTA stations, and if ever successful, HD Radio. Add iPods, etc... I see both Sirius and XM's primary service platform to be, in the automobile (bandwidth does not cater to the audiophile's taste's, as apparent in sampling rates that produce choking highs).

We're here, the decision has been made, and we'll now have to live with that decision, making the best of it.

Only time will tell as to just how beneficial this merger will be in the public's interest.

Last edited:
I have had XM for a number of years and use it mostly on long road trips and have a bbombox in the garage to listen down there. I hope they go forward with an alacarte format so I can do away with 90% of the stations that are useless to me. I only really listen to about 10-15 channels so being able to pick and choose stations would be beneficial and at at lower cost. I jus bought a new Civic that has XM on a 3 month freebie and I intend to continue with it past the expiration by adding it on. people assume to much with what is going on and shouldn't speculate because most of the time it makes them look rather foolish!

I believe Sirius had the better chance of turning profitable. Personally, I think Sirius would have been better off if they just outwaited XM and let them go bankrupt. Obviously, more knowledgeable people thought otherwise.

When this whole merger thing started, it was my understanding that the savings that would accrue would be not only due to administrative efficiencies, but to selecting one of the satellite systems and consolidating on that. I don't think they plan to keep them both running indefinitely. And I wouldn't expect a doubling of offerings. Or have they made announcements to the contrary?

If E* & D* merge, I hope the ViP series is carried forward. Or Fios gets a good DVR and "I'm outta heah."

They have announced that they will continue to operate all the current sats in their system for both services, at least for the near future. They have announced that XM subs have the option to add 10 channels of Sirius programming for 4 more/mo and Sirius can add 10 channels of XM for 4/more per month. Also there will be ala carte offerings for next generation radios, though not sure if you can pick and choose from both services or just one of the services. If its both then consumers definitely win.

The financials of XM looked good 2 years ago though trouble was on the horizon as subscriber growth had greatly slowed. Sirius took a huge hit with the Howard Stern deal and the XM MLB deal didn't pan out as well as it should have.

Finally! Yes! Bring it on!

I want the Elvis channel...and the NBA...on my XM!

I know we're probably a year away from hybrid receivers, but I'm glad we finally know where they're going so the manufacturers can start building the next-gen receivers. They've been stuck in a rut for most of the last two years waiting for all of the shoes to drop. I didn't like that I had to have XM for MLB and Sirius for NBA and NFL. Put them all together on one receiver and I'm a lot happier.

If anyone is going to be "hurt" from the merger, I would think it's the Oprah's and the Howard Sterns of the world. "If you won't pay me $50 million, I'll go over to Sirius...oh wait...never mind!" I can't feel sorry for those guys.

Regarding nepotism and other aspects of the merger...

I see both companies spent well beyond their mean's... How and why?

By adding and signing a seemingly endless list of exclusive programming, that were, in many cases, deep in niche categories, in my opinion, were simply representations of irresponsible management and seemingly out of control extravagant expenditures... all in an attempt to out do one another.

There's responsible competition, and then there's just plain stupidity... both gambled...

Sirius, in resent quarters, has seen very healthy growth, juxtaposed to its previous underdog position, earlier in the game.

To be quite frank, I use XM primarily for BBC World. Then CNN, FoxNews, NPR, XMComedy, Classical, Jazz, Chill, Alternative, Bluegrass, and Disney (for my daughter). And that's pretty much it. I have eclectic tastes in music, news and information, and that's where both satellite radio providers excelled in my personal wants and needs. That doesn't mean the personality driven exclusives' don't have their place, but at what cost(s)? I believe, programming and production costs, got way out of hand.

When I'm in the car, for the most part, I'm in it for a minimum of an hour or longer... I use my iPod, as well, to supplement, which is also interfaced through the Prius' entire system, to listen to my personal musical choices, genres, and podcasts...
Personally, I hate commercials, and both companies, when launched, based their entire operations on the basis of commercial free services. The introduction of commercials, were in part, due in part, to a lack of profitability.
Actually when XM launched only 30 music channels were commercial free. XM then removed commercials from all music stations and raised the price from 9.99 to 12.99 per month. Clear Channel sued and an arbitrator ruled that Clear Channel could program a certain amount of bandwidth which is when XM Music Channels programmed by Clear Channel once again began adding commercials and also added WSIX and 700 WLW (the greatest talk station in the world btw.). Sirius has always been commercial free on music stations. Both have had commercials on the talk side of things.
I had Sirius installed, when I had my Jeep Liberty (back then, the unit was fairly large, and resided under the driver's seat). When I purchased my Prius, back in December of '04, XM was the only service that was manufactured as a Toyota compatible receiver (a black-box), that would allow full operation functionality through the vehicle's steering wheel toggles, and touch LCD display.

My preference, as to musical programming leans towards Sirius, and I hope to see it them lead programming decisions...

As I see it... if both companies maintained reasonable productions, at reasonable costs, both could have been profitable, today. Looking back, they've both spent copious amounts of money towards costly, exclusive productions, featuring well known personalities, which I viewed as, enormously excessive in compensation, thus pulling both services into, and maintained in, non-profitability.

My position, and it's quite obvious, one must run a business responsibly, or you'll ultimately pay the price, through failure.

Again, let me reiterate... this decision, can and most likely, will have far a reaching impact on future merger proposals... as it clearly establishes and sets precedence.

Now, as to personnel redundancy... both companies have had to write off losses, while adding more and more costly programming. They still operate at a loss. How must they address this...? Anyone who thinks Sirius/XM will not significantly combine operational costs, reduce staff, and redundancies... as they will now be able to combine CSR operations, engineering, administration, programming, etc... is missing the meaning for the merger. Both of them must cut operational costs, dramatically, and that means their human assets will have to be drastically reduced in order to become profitable. People are going to lose their jobs... and again, it'll be tough to find a new position within the industry.
And again there is always some redundancy in any merger, however in this case it should be very limited and for the time being, at least the next few years they will run both their DC, NYC main studios and probably will continue their Nashville studios. CSR operations and administration will definitely be consolidated. However it is the norm in the business that you will not retire at the station you are at. I worked in the industry for 8 years, trust me I know. The on air staff will find other places to work very easially in the industry, look at Kane, former 90s On 9 PD who now does mornings in DC, has a nationally syndicated show, and continues to do afternoons on WFLZ in Tampa.
[/quote]
The Commission ordered both companies, in the past, to manufacture and promote receivers that were capable of receiving both services... they both baulked at the mandates, as they wanted to maintain reasonable exclusivity, when it came to vehicle receivers.

The sole purpose of this venture is to reduce costs by combining both entities... But, by maintaining a 'status quo' concerning operations, will simply defeat the cost effective objectives of combining both services.

Consider... why program and maintain 2 different classical, jazz, alternative, etc, etc, etc channels? Why have twice as many Program Directors, GMs, jocks, etc...
[/quote]
While I agree with you, that is not what the stated programming plans are at xmmerger.com or siriusmerger.com. The plans are to continue to operate both programming packages. I believe they are required to do so for 3 years. Afterwards I could see them further consolidating programming, especially once the A La Carte options go into effect. Also XM PD's currently program multiple channels and report to a VP of programming, there are no GMs. I could see short term combining some of the PD's though maybe not. For example I worked for a company that owned two country stations in the market, each had seperate PDs and air staffs. So in radio its not unusual for redundant programming.
I believe, both have behaved irresponsibly, but it was part of their business model(s)... XM's case, it's quite obvious, they kept pushing the envelope, and very recently, were required to take out an additional securities offering to raise funds to subsidize operations, to continue service (some where shy of $700 million) in the last week.

Both could have eventually become profitable, on their own, if left to make decisions on their own merits, by downsizing certain aspects of their operations.

I've worked a good portion of my life in media (broadcast radio, television, as well as cable). I've been in management, a producer, and an on-air personality. And yes, the media business is one of constant turmoil, volatility, and turnover... it isn't one of the fields one looks to for job security, and I can say that from personal experience!

It is, in my opinion, a situation, if were left well enough alone, in the long run, both would have eventually wised up... shareholder's would eventually demanded more lean, responsible and cost effective operations... trim their excessive expenses and eventually become profitable... by taking the merger route, an anticompetitive one, from my perspective, leaves us with less choice, and basically removes the competitive aspect to the business.

I definitely disagree with you on the anti competitive nature of the merger, terestrial radio, internet radio, mp3 players, i phones, all will provide competition to XM/Sirius and will keep prices down and quality of product high. In my MBA project I suggested other routes for XM to turn profitable, though the best way through my research was merger with another company, perferably Sirius. However I thought the regulatory obstacles would be too great, and they almost were.
I'll agree with those who have stated, there is still competition with terrestrial OTA stations, and if ever successful, HD Radio. Add iPods, etc... I see both Sirius and XM's primary service platform to be, in the automobile (bandwidth does not cater to the audiophile's taste's, as apparent in sampling rates that produce choking highs).
I disagree, I see sat radio audience the same as any other radio media, first car, then office/workplace, then the home. So maybe I do agree LOL. Just there is a log of at work listening to XM and is where I primarially listen to XM.

We're here, the decision has been made, and we'll now have to live with that decision, making the best of it.

Only time will tell as to just how beneficial this merger will be in the public's interest.

Well in this case if the monopoly does not serve its customers, then it will simply fade away. Plus another company could always try to compete, possibly an existing broadcaster such as Clear Channel.

One would assume, they'd combine services... as a cost saving measure...? Both platforms would fuse into one, share all the same content... Now with this, so called bundling, XM + 10 Sirius for more per/month, it doesn't appear that's their immediate strategy.

Yes, "at least for the near future." Continuing both services. It's as they consolidate operations and can make decisions, and as satellite replacement time looms and they have to place orders and either continue or surrender transponder, orbit and frequency rights that hard decisions will have to be made. They also have duplicative terrestrial repeaters. I'm sure there's quite a chunk of change there to be saved. Sirius's oddball orbits give it an advantage in requiring fewer repeaters. But I'm sure there are many, many other factors that could swing it either way.

There's too much money on the table. They'll hopefully announce at least five years in advance which system will be the "winner." I may be dreaming. But hey, what do I care? I don't subscribe to either. But when my "satellite ready" diesel Jetta is finally delivered, if it ever is, I'll probably have a subscription that I'll try out. Maybe I'll be a convert. I don't listen to local radio much, mostly for a little news, weather, and most of all- traffic reports. I rarely play CDs in my cars, I'd rather listen at home in 5.1 or 7.1.

Anybody know which one is in the 2008 & 2009 Jettas? Both?

GoalieBob --> my sentiments exactly:

I am not trying to start a rumor (I guess when you preface it like that, you are . . . lol), but anyone want to guess how many months it takes for Dish and Direct to revisit discussions of combining forces?

I hear that!!!!!! Would be freakin sweet too!!!!!! Dish would finally get sunday ticket woohoo!

Oh Please.

You sound like a know-it-all. Yes, let's see in 5 years where we are. Hopefully you won't be a customer so you can keep your opinions to yourself while I enjoy more programming than I receive now. You should be pizzed like me at how corrupt and money grubbing our government officials are on the whole instead of being against these two companies merging.

To see you try to put this on a particular political party shows how little you know. Have you noticed how no one in gov wanted this to go through because they all had their pockets filled with NAB money? And I'm talking across the board, Dem and Rep. This doesn't benefit Reps in any way, if so, pllleeassee educate me.

Hey! Take it to the Pit. Oh, wait. The Pit's gone. Nevermind. Carry on.

This is great for everyone involved. It will provide options for current XM/siri subscribers, as both companies would have failed if the merger were delayed longer or not approved, it is great for the shareholders, who would have lost everything when the companies went under, and it's great for the competitive market, as there will now continue to be competition against terrestrial radio. THank you FCC for (FINALLY!!!!) getting this right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)