XM Radio Suspends Opie & Anthony

BTW does anyone know what they said on 5/14 that led XM to say that the apology on Friday was insincere?

If you don't like it you have the option to block the channel.

What they said was kind of tame compaired to some of the things I have heard on that show.

No need to block it, I just don't listen to it. And if that was tame compared to what normally goes on then hopefully they will just disappear for good.

I am extremely upset.

I have been an XM sub since 12/03 with 3 radios.

I sent an email to:
Eric Logan, Exec VP Programming (202)380-4365 eric.logan@xmradio.com

Gary Parsons, Chairman, gary.parsons@xmradio.com

Steve Cook, EVP, steve.cook@xmradio.com

Joseph J. Euteneuer, CFO, joseph.euteneuer@xmradio.com

Chance Patterson, VP Corporate Affairs, chance.patterson@xmradio.com

Carolyn Turner, Corporate Communications, carolyn.turner@xmradio.com

Dan Turner, Programming dan.turner@xmradio.com

I stated that XM Radio should support free speech for COMEDY shows.

I also canceled all 3 radios.

Be aware if you call, the retention department will offer you 90 days free service. I told them it wasn't about the money, but about the principle.

I am not a listener of O&A not because I don't like them, but I just don't have time. I used to listen to Stern from time to time, his humor grew old sometimes though. I also would listen to Imus from time to time. So after all these years of listening to these different guys,(including Don and Mike and many many more) I think you all have to understand even in comedy, violence against a person just isn't going to be allowed. You can generalize comments and usually it does not cross the line.

This is exactly what happened to Imus. When he generalized he was ok, but once he directed his comments to a particular group of College girls he went over the line. If O&A suggested, even through comedy, violent sex towards a particular person that is over the line. But ........... and it is a big but - I don't want the government to decide what can be said, it should be exactly has happened with CBS/MSNBC and XM. The Employer must decide. If the employer feels on their own, or can be bullied into firing someone, then so be it.

I dont agree with this. In fact I must say I am a little upset about this.

Did O&A say something off color? YES
Do they say something off color everyday? YES

Was the off color remarks aired on regular radio? NO

O&A Aired on their on channel on XM which was labeled as an adult content channel. In addition between commercial breaks they had commercials telling people how to block O&A from their Xm Radios.

America is supposed to be the land of free speach, but as of late Free Speach seems to be only things which Al Sharpton says are ok. And I am not ok with that. This was a ADULT COMEDY SHOW where people were joking around and make off color comments for the entire show.

What is happening to this country?

i agree to a point as it was adult and on satellite radio and not a AM or FM deal. They should be free to do as they please to a point. I don't listen to them and have XM but what they did was idiotic and stupid.

I heard the were fired but I cannot get on Wackbag right now.

Anyone know?

Wackbag.com is having problems with their server due to the amount of folks trying to log on.

I was able to get in at the point that Ron and Fez announced the O&A suspension at the end of their show today, but could not log back on wackbag a couple of hours later or now even

Free Speech and comedic license on the radio are being threatened.

First Don Imus got railroaded by MSNBC and CBS Radio, even though he did EVERYTHING that the corporate suits asked him to do...and Imus seemed very sincere to me in his apology.

The Nappy comment was very unfortunate, but certain media hounds and special interest groups used the Imus controversy to only put their cheesy mugs on the cable news channels and shows. Those folks demonized Imus, which was very unfortunate and his firing went WAY overboard.

Now XM has suspended my favorite program on their platform, Opie & Anthony.

And O&A didn't even say the thing that got them suspended, it was "Homeless Charlie" who made the nasty comments about the Queen and others. I listened to the show last Wednesday and I thought that it was VERY FUNNY. Homeless Charlie was a classic and very very very funny...perfect for what their show is about.

I'm very tempted to cancel my subscription to XM based on the 30 day suspension.

I'd hate to miss MLB games, Ron & Fez, and several music channels...but protecting free speech is extremally important also and sometimes you have to make some sacrifices in life in order to do what is right and just.

If Opie and Anthony ARE fired and don't return to XM on or before June 15th, I definately will cancel my "Family Plan" two-unit subscription to XM radio and I won't ever subscribe to them or any other affiliated satellite radio service.

http://www.peopleagainstcensorship.com/

http://peopleagainstcensorship.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=47

Here is a list of things you can do to help O&A in their time of need. Please do all of these things, then do them again, then find away to get 100 other people to do them!!!!!!!!!!

1. CANCEL YOUR XM SUBSCRIPTION!!!! IF YOU CANCEL, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU NOT TAKE THE 30 FREE DAYS OR THE 3 FREE MONTHS. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WANT TO KEEP XM OUT OF LOYALTY TO RON AND FEZ, THATS FINE. IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU A BAD FAN. BUT FOR EVERYONE ELSE, CANCEL UNCONDITIONALLY NOW. YOU ARE NOT MAKING ANY STATEMENT AT ALL IF TAKE THE 30 DAYS.
Do not smash your radios yet. Wait. We'll come up with a plan to make a statement.
2. CONSTANTLY CALL XM. THEY HAVE RECEIVED A RECORD AMOUNT OF CALLS ALREADY, AND TONIGHT AND TOMORROW ITS IMPORTANT THAT WE REGISTER AS MANY CALLS WITH THEM AS WE CAN. KEEP CALLING EVEN IF YOU'VE ALREADY CANCELLED OR YOU'RE NOT CANCELLING. ALSO CONSTANTLY EMAIL XM.
3. CALL CBS AND THE CBS SPONSORS AND THANK THEM FOR SPONSORING O&A AND ASK THEM TO CONTINUE SPONSORING O&A.
4. CONTACT ANY PRESS WHO WILL LISTEN TO YOU
5. JOIN PAC AND GET ANYONE YOU CAN TO JOIN AS WELL
6. CONTACT ANY COMICS/MUSICIANS/PEOPLE WHO HAVE APPEARED ON O&A. WRITE THEIR EMAILS AND MYSPACES AND ASK THEM TO STAND UP FOR O&A IN THE MEDIA. TELL THEM o7A PROMOTED YOU--- PLEASE HELP THEM NOW.
Here are some examples of people to myspace/email: Jay Mohr, Tracy Morgan, Carlos Mencia, Joe Rogan, Otto and George, Bob Sagat, Ralphie May, Dr. Ian Smith, Louis Black, Audioslave, Louis CK, Mila Jovavich, WWE personalities, Quentin Tarentino, Jim Breuer, Brian Regan, Steven Lynch, Sherrod Small, Judah Friedlander, Carolines Comedy Club, etc.
7. JOIN US TO DEMONSTRATE IN FRONT OF THE TODAY SHOW THIS THURSDAY AND THIS FRIDAY! 6AM TO 9AM AT 30 ROCKERFELLER PLAZA! TAKE OFF OF WORK! BE THERE! FOR O&A ITS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING SIGNS WEAR SHIRTS.
8. MOST IMPORTANTLY- GET OTHERS TO DO THESE THINGS TO: TELL YOUR FRIENDS, REACH OUT TO OTHER MESSAGE BOARDS. POST ON THE BOARDS OF SEAN HANNITY, RUSH LIMBAUGH, GLEN BECK, THE DOGHOUSE, THE RADIO CHICK AND ANYONE YOU CAN THINK OF. AS THE NIGHT GOES ON, I WILL SUPPLEMENT THIS LIST WITH MORE IDEAS, AND TRY TO FILL IN THE EMAIL ADDRESSES YOU NEED. ENCOURAGE ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE TO COMPLETE EVERY STEP ON THIS LIST!!!!
9. GO TO ATLANTIC CITY THIS WEEKEND AND SUPPORT THE O&A POKER TOURNAMENT EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT PLAYING.
10. SEND OUT MYSPACE BULLITENS AND POST COMMENTS IN THE PAGES OF FAMOUS PEOPLE TO GET THE WORD OUT TO SUPPORT O&A! SEND THEM TO WWW.PEOPLEAGAINSTCENSORSHIP.COM. TELL THEM TO REGISTER.
REACH OUT TO OTHER FREE SPEECH ORGANIZATIONS, THE ADULT INDUSTRY, ANYONE WHO HAS AN INTEREST IN THIS ISSUE! REACH OUT TO THE PRESS.
11. GO BACK TO STEP 1 AND DO IT ALL AGAIN!

THANK YOU! HTG!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING YOU ARE ALL DOING!!!!!!!!
happytypinggirl

Free s peech is not being threateded. taht isa bogus argumetn. Tey can say what they want that is their right but there is no right to be on the radio. Not terrestrial or satellite radio. No right of that kind at alll.

They were hired to be controversial and that is what they have done. But XM hasa right to decide who is on their service. If they decide to fire these guys I think that is silly but it is their right but as long as they buy out the contract they are within their rights.

To tell you the truth if they had refused to apologize it would be one thing but to issue the apology and then a few days later walk away from bothers me every bit as much as what XM might be doing.

Demonstrate if you wish in fact if you feel that strongly you should. But don't tell me tat these to are innocent victims or that they have a right to be on XM.

Uhhhh...............I did. There are rumors out they are fired. Trying to find out for sure.

At this point the only thing that XM has announced isa 30 day suspension. CBS has indicated that they want them back on terrestrial radio as soon as possible. I am not sure if that means tomorrow, next week or what.

A firing might happen. I think it is too extreme a solution but it could happen. But it would seem to be premature to think that.

I dont agree with this. In fact I must say I am a little upset about this.

Did O&A say something off color? YES
Do they say something off color everyday? YES

Was the off color remarks aired on regular radio? NO

O&A Aired on their on channel on XM which was labeled as an adult content channel. In addition between commercial breaks they had commercials telling people how to block O&A from their Xm Radios.

America is supposed to be the land of free speach, but as of late Free Speach seems to be only things which Al Sharpton says are ok. And I am not ok with that. This was a ADULT COMEDY SHOW where people were joking around and make off color comments for the entire show.

What is happening to this country?

So what does Al Sharpton have to do with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)