Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
We have been hearing rumors from a number of XM employees over the past few weeks that new channels were coming March 1st to XM.

Over the weekend DirecTV updated it XM channel list and there were a number of new channels listed as shown below...
Big Tracks
Big Tracks picks up where Top Tracks leaves off ... these are the biggest classic rock hits from the mid 70s, through the 80s and into the early 90s.

Fuego (Alegria re-named)
Fuego plays the hottest sounds in Latin music today — a hot mix of reggaeton, Latin hip hop and rap. Artists like Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, Tego Calderon, Ivy Queen, Luny Tunes, Zion & Lennox and many more.

XM Chill
XM Chill takes you on a voyage into the Chill zone ... a place that pulses with exotic and cerebral music known as smooth electronica. A European phenomenon that is finally emerging in North America, XM Chill is beyond a channel ... it's an experience in sound.

XM: The Heat , Channel 825

The Heat is XM's home for hip-hop, R&B and today's hottest music. This is the music that's selling all over America and burning up the charts.
Artists — Kanye West, Chris Brown, Ciara, Nelly, 50 Cent

XM: The Message, Channel 826

A bright mix of Christian pop hits from yesterday and today.
Artists — Mercy Me, Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman, Michael W. Smith, Natalie Grant, Jeremy Camp

XM: Viva, Channel 876

This is the channel where Latin pop lives. Viva explores the rhythmic, contemporary side of Latin pop with the biggest superstars of the format. Enjoy the sounds of Shakira, Juanes, Ricky Martin, Thalia, Paulina Rubio and more.

A few hours after this new lineup appeared DirecTV reverted back to its old channel list.

Today XM has started promoting XM Chill and Big Tracks heavily on their talk channels.

At places like XMFAN.COM and XM411.COM discussion of this topic has been hot and heavy. I understand that Ryan from XMFAN has been contacted by XM's Legal Department asking him to remove all information about these new channels off of XMFAN because they state that this information is "highly confidental"

My take on this is, if it was so "Highly Confidental" then why did DirecTV have it on its PUBLIC WEBSITE.

Sorry XM Legal Department, the genie is out of the bottle now. Please feel free to discuss this rumor of new channels here at SatelliteGuys freely. We won't be bullied by the XM suits here.

Hmm I uploaded the PDF earlier not sure where it went, so here it is again. :)

Attachments

• channel_guide.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 582
They still don't have a chance against Sirius's lineup. I listened to both before I made my choice and Sirius won hands down. And no..it wasn't because of Stern either.

Nope you didn't miss it, I guess a few of the channels DirecTV listed are DirecTV only XM channels.

Its a shame you get more XM channels from not XM sources then you do from the core XM Satellite Radio service.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Nope you didn't miss it, I guess a few of the channels DirecTV listed are DirecTV only XM channels.

Its a shame you get more XM channels from not XM sources then you do from the core XM Satellite Radio service.

I still think its bad they have channels on their website streaming and not on the birds...

Like the other christian station that my parents would like... only on the internet.... its older music, for an older generation, and my "older" parents don't know how to access the internet... just silly I think

So now the important question - what are they eliminating to make room for the new stuff. I do think Big Tracks has promise...The other stuff - Lifetime for Radio - Ellen and Oprah, kill me...

What I want to know is the thinking about adding a Clear Channel radio station out of Cinncinnati.

WLW lineup joins XM Satellite network

The "Big One" is getting bigger. WLW-AM (700), the 50,000-watt "nation's station," truly will be nationwide on Wednesday.

Mike McConnell, Gary Burbank, Bill Cunningham, Jim Scott and most of Cincinnati's top-rated news-talk-sports station will be added to the XM Satellite Radio lineup as Channel 173.

Sirius_Rich said:
What I want to know is the thinking about adding a Clear Channel radio station out of Cinncinnati.

WLW is Cheap Channel's talk flagship station, and I'd imagine one of their highest rated talk stations in the country.

Of course, there's also the historic idea of WLW as the nation's original truly national radio station with their old monster 500,000 watt transmitter that actually could reach most of the globe when it was fired up. There are stories of birds actually being knocked out of the air when it was fired up during the 1930s and 40s.

Information on WLW's old days: http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw.shtml

I just saw this on page 14 of the OnDirecTV magazine..

Xciting News

On March 1, DircTV's XM Satellite Radio service welcomes two new channels to the lineup.

Big Tracks (ch. 837) is a showcase of classic rock hits from the mid 1970's through the early '90s - from artists lke Fleetwood Mac, REO Speedwagon, Journey, Bryan Adams, Bost and Tom Petty.

XM Chill (ch. 857) is the home of smooth electronica, a Euro-crze that has come to America licensed to chill (sorry). Artists on the playlist include Moby, Eno, Thievery Corporation, Zero 7, Chemical Brothers and Air.

Be sure to check them out.

Other changes to note: XM Music Lab and The Flow are no longer in the lineup, and four other channels now have new names. Eye is now called The Heat (ch. 825); The Fish is now The Message (ch 826); Alegria is now Fuego (ch. 870); and Vivo is now called Viva (ch. 876).

Living less than a half mile from the 700 WLW transmitter in Mason, OH, anyone knows that 700 is THE ONLY AM station you can get that close to the tower. They simply have the best talk radio ever. Other flagship stations such as 890 WLS in Chicago just can't hold a candle to WLW. I wonder, as this is obviously a local Cincinnati station, does WLW on XM pipe everything, including local news, traffic, and weather?

dfergie said:
Big Tracks sounds good to me... Might keep me from going back to Sirius...
I've got both, mainly because my vehicle has XM and the wife's Sirius, and XM can't compete with Sirius in terms of Music. But for 2006, XM has NASCAR. But next fall I will get a new vehicle and it will have Sirius for the 2007 NASCAR season. My daughter will miss XM Kids though.

Hair Nation rocks.:D Literally.

I have both they both rock but for some reson XM sounds better to my ears. but listen Xm more for two reasons:

1: truly portable radio
2: decades channles

both are worth more to me than TV.

herdfan said:
XM can't compete with Sirius in terms of Music

Isnt that all a matter of taste? Maybe Sirius does a better job bringing you the hair bands, but for punk rock (which seems to be the fastest growing genre in america), sirius isnt even an option...with their "faction"...punk, hip-hop and hardcore. Talk about great tastes that dont taste great together. So I COULD hear the Clash and NOFX, but in between I have to tollerate a slipknot song and two DMX remixes??? Am I the only one that sees a problem here? And BTW Howard used to be funny, but he's passed his prime, and Opie & Anthony are clearly on top.

It would be like saying Marshall football is superior to UCF....its just silly :p

Last edited:
Scott -- what gives? I've been waiting with baited breath for 857 (The Chill) to light up, and here we are after 9 ET, with NOTHING.

BETJ started this morning (enjoyed a bit of Duke Ellington a little earlier) just fine. But is DirecTV now NOT getting the new music channels from XM? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)