XstreamHD Needs Your Input!

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Hey guys, I just talked with some of my contacts over at XstreamHD and as their product gears toward beta, they need your input! They received some feedback from some High End Customers that would like an external box, that is a sorta like a set top box that delivers 8 channel audio through analogue outputs.

This would be able to pass various lossy audio code-cs and give full 8 channel audio output. Would this be something that as an Audiophile you would be interested in? Obviously, the pricing on this box would be more. The concern was that HDMI wouldn't be able to pass the full 8 channel stream. This would be in conjunction with other audio outputs like SPDIF and HDMI

What do you guys think? And how can they improve the product to help you get the most out of your audio system. Would this be something that you would be intrested in?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just talked with some of my contacts over at XstreamHD and as their product gears toward beta, they need your input! They received some feedback from some High End Customers that would like an external box, that is a sorta like a set top box that delivers 8 channel audio through analogue outputs.

This would be able to pass various lossy audio code-cs and give full 8 channel audio output. Would this be something that as an Audiophile you would be interested in? Obviously, the pricing on this box would be more. The concern was that HDMI wouldn't be able to pass the full 8 channel stream. This would be in conjunction with other audio outputs like SPDIF and HDMI

What do you guys think? And how can they improve the product to help you get the most out of your audio system. Would this be something that you would be intrested in?

I'm not a huge audiophile but I am a fan of analog outs. Thats why I went with the XA1 HDDVD player so that the player could do the advanced decoding and pass it to my receiver so I could take advantage of Dolby True HD and such. If XtreamHD is thinking about doing something like that, I would be very interested in that but I think that its probably a niche market that would really appreciate/use it so breaking it out to a separate box is probably a good idea!

I would think they need to determine what proliferation there is of 7.1 home theater systems. I would say that the day is coming when full eight channel lossy (preferrably lossless) is the norm. I wouldn't call myself a high end customer, therefore don't really need it, but I do have a 7.1 AV receiver.

I've used mostly HDMI & Optical for most of my connections, optical seems to have the most bandwidth for most applications. Analog works find I did have my system setup with 8 channels before, what a joy to wire. :)

I wouldn't put it on my priority though, if they can offer optical I think most audiophiles would be happy. At worst if they could figure out a way of having a plug on option (USB, Serial, custom, etc) that offered that at least then they could keep the price low for those that aren't interested in that feature.

I also have a AV Receiver that is able to do all of the new audio formats and if offered for only a moderate increase in price I would be interested, but would be perfectly happy with what they can pass over HDMI.

Thats what I was thinking, but I wanted to see what you all wanted before I give them a definite answer on this, if this would be a niche product. While I know someone who is building a home theater that would blow anything away would want something like this, but I think for the average Joe, HDMI/Optical is fine. As long as my 7.1 receiver decodes it were OK. I just wonder how many home theaters are out there like this.

Also, is there any features that you may want? I know its tough, as you haven't seen the units yet and the service is not out. But while they are engineering and building the system from the ground up, if there are any features that they can implement now, I would like to let XstreamHD know. I'm also hearing, although not confirmed. We could have beta units in hand around the July time frame. Remember this product is in Mid Alpha Testing so that time line is subject to change, but there are exciting things to come. Thats all I can tell you! Just know the future is bright!

Interesting. They're only about a dozen miles from my house.

Frankly, I have enough cables in my system. And despite their hopes/intentions, I'm sure all the equipment I have now will still be there after (& if) I get an XstreamHD system. So I'm in favor of an HDMI cable to my Onkyo 805, which seems to work well today with my 7.1 Klipsch speakers. I still remember one day reading the fantasy that we'd all have a single daisy chained firewire to each box, and everything would "just work." :rolleyes:

Perhaps there is a market for such an upgrade. Perhaps not. Perhaps they need to concentrate on actually getting their service up and running- such an upgrade is not likely, IMHO, to serve as a product differentiator for them.

On edit, as we posted simultaneously: They need to have a 30 second skip ahead button. I simply will not allow a system into my home again without the ability to skip thru commercials. For OTA & other programming. Also, a bookmarking feature would be particularly useful. Some movies almost require this, for me.

Thank you. But my technical skills are way outdated. I guess I could pursue the Marketing angle, but I suspect they will have more experienced people to choose from. I am currently the Comptroller and run IT for a small business. So long as they stay in business, I guess I can't complain. ;)

A compressed lossless 7.1 like Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio, over the HDMI probably is better in the long run since more and more receivers will be able to process them.

I do not see the need for the analog outputs. I had them on an ancient dvd player. The less wires the better.

I dont think you will be able to, but someone who spent 30,000 on a home theater might! Mine is only worth about 5,000. They are trying to market this to everyone, they are trying to see if there is a large enough demand for this feature to support it on an large basis.

I dont think you will be able to, but someone who spent 30,000 on a home theater might! Mine is only worth about 5,000. They are trying to market this to everyone, they are trying to see if there is a large enough demand for this feature to support it on an large basis.
I like having both as an option. It more present and future proofs your setup. It sounds like they want to create an extra add-on. That would be cool.

I think that this would be a good option for their system. Currently there aren't a ton of 7.1 systems that have DTS-HD available. Being able to decode the DTS-HD prior to the reciever would allow some older 7.1 systems to use the higher quality audio more efficiently. (I could be wrong on this, but that is my take on how it works)

Also I agree with the prior poster.... Definately need a 30 second skip ahead button...

The thread has been moved into the general satellite form so everyone can give there input!. :) Thanks for your input guys as I will be forwarding this to XstreamHD in the next couple of days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)