YAH! SES-3 is moving to 103W

Status
Please reply by conversation.
At current rate of movement it will take 20 days

it will be there before 20 days, I think it's farther than lyngsat has it posted. But still the channels have to move over and shut down amc-1. That might take awhile. Let's hope everything goes good.

Chad,

Can you tell us what the source of your info is.
When do you think it will cut over?

The U.S. government elements confirm the movement. I haven't simulated about how long it will take to get to 103W nor am I excited about the movement because you just don't know if SES is moving it to 103W and putting it in storage for a few months until it replaces AMC-1 or if the replacement will take place right away when SES 3 arrives on station. Since SES 3 isn't U.S. licensed, regulatory request info is lacking to know what SES is up to and I don't have a very good info source for the regulating agency.

Yesterday 103 was messed up...I have not kept up with the news on this, at least not daily. But according to how far it has to travel and where it is located it will take 16.6 days to get to 103W.

I don't know how long the transition will take but I assume once they shut one down or get it out of its orbital slot they'll need the other one operational as soon as possible and will loose money if it is not. So lets hope, with no problems and a little incentive (a few million in losses) it won't take long.

If this is a typical change out, both satellites will be co-located and operational for a month or so as they transition the services over. Rarely is one satellite "shut off" before a replacement is already on line and transmitting the muxes on the same frequencies.

The change over is usually timed in the late might with minimal impact on viewers and so seamlessly that a viewer may only observe a minute of ramping down a signal and coming right back up.

This one may be different as SES may chose to keep the offset skew to minimize the impact on downlink facilities or provide multiple identical programming sources mirrored on both satellites to allow downlinks time to correct the skew setting for transfer of service to the new bird with standardized skew settings.

It will be an interesting change out for sure!

Last edited:
I have been watching this satellite move for a week now with anticipation of that crazy skew going away and now you have to go and ruin my night by saying they may keep it on SES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks a lot.....

What is strange about SES 3 is that SES World Skies has not gotten FCC approval to operate SES 3 at 103° West. The only thing I can find is approval for testing at 77° West.
It's not strange at all! SES-3 at 103W is not a U.S. licensed sat. All the detail you might want to know is right under your nose in the FCC authorization link you posted.

SES3 will require FCC approval to operate at 103W. I suspect that the document has not been posted or there has been an mistake by one of the parties.

as with most governmental dealings- "hurry-up and wait" We'll just have to wait and see what "plays out"
I suspect that the document has not been posted
because another piece of paper which authorizes the posting hasn't been properly signed, posted, or, heaven forbid, LOST. Probably has to go through NSA, CIA, FBI and ICE and maybe the FAA. Wow, Sorry for that tangent.
But I think there's a clue here as to the skew. http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...c-band-dish-polarity-control.html#post2618522

SES has already received approval for testing of SES 2 at 77° West and to replace AMC3 at 87° West and the satellite hasn't even been launched yet.
http://licensing.fcc.gov/myibfs/download.do?attachment_key=914469

yes, SES-2 is an american licensed slot so you need authority to construct, launch and operate.

SES-3 hasn't done anything illegally. It got its authorazation from the FCC to in-orbit test and drift and its authority with the international regulator means it has approval to operate at 103W if SES wants to put it right into service upon reaching station.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts