Yahoo Once again Increases Email Space, and improves Spam Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stargazer said:
How are they able to increase the storage? Are they just compressing it more and more over time or just aquiring more hard drive space in their servers and show the result of how much space we have left allotted to each of us?
I ass/u/me that they are buying more and more storage. Remember they got a TON of money when they went public.

"By early May, all free Yahoo! Mail users will receive an email storage increase to a whopping 1GB."

That's enough space for me. Thanks Yahoo.

We are finally approaching plenty enough space for our emails to where we will not have to worry about the bulk mail taking up too much space. It helps with compression technologies getting better and hard drives going down in price and/or hard drives getting bigger and bigger.

Stargazer said:
How are they able to increase the storage? Are they just compressing it more and more over time or just aquiring more hard drive space in their servers and show the result of how much space we have left allotted to each of us?
Most of the messages are going to be text based, so they will get a decent amount of compression. A lot of it also is the fact that 99% of people aren't going to use their 1GB.

It's kind of like your ISP overselling their bandwidth. They don't have enough bandwidth to cover every user maxing out their line, but they know that most users aren't going to be on at the same time so they only have to have a smaller percentage of the maximum required bandwith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts