Yamaha RX-V3900?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Does anyone have a Yamaha RX-V3800 or RX-V3900? I gave my daughter my old RX-V2095 a few years ago and have been using an RX-V3300 the past few 4-5 years. Although I have been looking at some of their latest receivers the past few years, the 3300 was in the HT Room connected to my old Mits Diamond RPTV with component. I just couldn't justify the new receiver with the older TV. Last year we gave the TV away to friends before we moved and I would really like to update the A/V receiver. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the 3800 but I am now considering the new 3900.

Anyway, has anyone used either of these receivers? I am leading toward the 3800 since it can be purchased for several hundred less...however, I have not completely ruled out the 3900. Thanks in advance.

I don't have any personal experience with any Yamaha product, but I have never read a bad thing about them, or for that matter, just about any of the newer generation of AVR's built by anybody. They all have the same features basically. The best recommendation I could give you would be to pay to power ratings with all channels driven. That will tell you all you really need to know. AVR's that come closest to their "rated" power numbers have the better amps and power supplies, and for me that's what's important. Also check the power when driving a 4ohm load, that is also an indication of strong amps and power supplies. If they can't drive a 4 ohm load, that will limit your choices if you decide to upgrade your loudspeakers.

Buy the best you can afford, no matter the brand. More power is better than less. Just pay attention to what the "real" power is.

Riff, I have been looking at the same two receivers. I currently have the RX-V1 and wanting to upgrade also and from what I found are only two neg posts. One the auto sound leveler for commericals doesn't work well with DVR's. Not sure what to think about that poster though. Second was a HDMI sync this poster said the 3900 caused the cable box to reset to 480P instead of staying at 1080i. I personnal think it is a cable box issue since most boxes allow you to set the resolution like the satellite receivers. All the reviews I found was done by using google.

Where I have my RX-V1 I also have, DISH 622, Toshiba HD-A30, Panisonic DMP-BD80, B&W 603 S2, B&W DS6, B&W LCR6 S2, Definitive 15" sub. so I think the 3900 would be a nice fit. I would like to stay with the flagship RX-Z11 but don't want to drop $5000+.

I've had the 3900 for a few months now, and it is a very nice receiver.
I have 3 722's hooked via HDMI to an older Samsung DLP (1st gen HDMI), and have no problems at all with resolution switching on me.
The 3900 does not have the auto volume leveler.
It has a network port which plays internet radio, streaming music from other network computers & allows web access to it's built in webserver for control. It also has a serial port that you can use for control (I use Homeseer to connect to that port). There's also receiver manager software that can be found to change settings via network, and save them to a file on a PC.
The YPAO works really well - auto setup of speakers from single or multiple spots.

A couple of features I miss from older Yamahas:
1) Choosing an audio only source (tuner, net radio) forces the video selection as well - used to keep the last selected video source displaying
2) no A/B speaker switch - you have to navigate a menu to assign the speakers to zone 2 or 3, then use the zone 2 or 3 power to turn them on & off.
3) you can use one of the extra amps to drive the front presence speakers or the back surrounds - not both at the same time. This changes the 8-speaker sound mode I was used to into a 7 speaker mode.

AVS has a forum for 3900/1900:
"Official" RX-V1900/RX-V3900 Thread - AVS Forum

Some reviews:
Playback Magazine | Issue 19

Sound & Vision Magazine - Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V receiver

I don't have any personal experience with any Yamaha product, but I have never read a bad thing about them, or for that matter, just about any of the newer generation of AVR's built by anybody. They all have the same features basically. The best recommendation I could give you would be to pay to power ratings with all channels driven. That will tell you all you really need to know. AVR's that come closest to their "rated" power numbers have the better amps and power supplies, and for me that's what's important. Also check the power when driving a 4ohm load, that is also an indication of strong amps and power supplies. If they can't drive a 4 ohm load, that will limit your choices if you decide to upgrade your loudspeakers.

Buy the best you can afford, no matter the brand. More power is better than less. Just pay attention to what the "real" power is.
Thanks Paul. I have had nothing but "outstanding" experiences with the Yamaha receivers and amps...in fact, I still own a Yamaha M-70/C-70/T-70 amp/pre-amp/tuner that I purchased in 1981. It's a great 2-channel amp that outlasted the pair of JBL Studio Monitors I purchased that same year. I considered giving the trio to my other daughter, but I am keeping it for a pair of Klipsch Horns I [hopefully] plan to buy one day. I also like the Denon A/V receivers, but Yamaha keeps me coming back for more.

http://i23.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/36/5c/f9e3_1.JPG

Riff, I have been looking at the same two receivers. I currently have the RX-V1 and wanting to upgrade also and from what I found are only two neg posts. One the auto sound leveler for commericals doesn't work well with DVR's. Not sure what to think about that poster though. Second was a HDMI sync this poster said the 3900 caused the cable box to reset to 480P instead of staying at 1080i. I personnal think it is a cable box issue since most boxes allow you to set the resolution like the satellite receivers. All the reviews I found was done by using google.

Where I have my RX-V1 I also have, DISH 622, Toshiba HD-A30, Panisonic DMP-BD80, B&W 603 S2, B&W DS6, B&W LCR6 S2, Definitive 15" sub. so I think the 3900 would be a nice fit. I would like to stay with the flagship RX-Z11 but don't want to drop $5000+.
I am leaning toward the 3900, but I am cheap bastard. My 3300 is driving a pair of Klipsch KLF-30s and Klipsch KLF-10s mains, a Klipsch C-7 center channels, Bose 301 front effect speakers, and JBLs in the rear. It a great setup! The only thing I would replace is the Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer.

Anyway, let me know if if you get the 3900. I too love the Z11, but the price is way too steep for me.

I've had the 3900 for a few months now, and it is a very nice receiver.
I have 3 722's hooked via HDMI to an older Samsung DLP (1st gen HDMI), and have no problems at all with resolution switching on me.
The 3900 does not have the auto volume leveler.
It has a network port which plays internet radio, streaming music from other network computers & allows web access to it's built in webserver for control. It also has a serial port that you can use for control (I use Homeseer to connect to that port). There's also receiver manager software that can be found to change settings via network, and save them to a file on a PC.
The YPAO works really well - auto setup of speakers from single or multiple spots.

A couple of features I miss from older Yamahas:
1) Choosing an audio only source (tuner, net radio) forces the video selection as well - used to keep the last selected video source displaying
2) no A/B speaker switch - you have to navigate a menu to assign the speakers to zone 2 or 3, then use the zone 2 or 3 power to turn them on & off.
3) you can use one of the extra amps to drive the front presence speakers or the back surrounds - not both at the same time. This changes the 8-speaker sound mode I was used to into a 7 speaker mode.

AVS has a forum for 3900/1900:
"Official" RX-V1900/RX-V3900 Thread - AVS Forum

Some reviews:
Playback Magazine | Issue 19

Sound & Vision Magazine - Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V receiver
Thanks Jim! I am going to miss the A/B switch because I am used to switching between the two different main speakers.

Jim, that is great to know that the 3900 doesn't have the auto leveler. It would be a nice feature, however I'm really wondering what the reviewer was thinking. I guess that is what I get for reading a general public review.

Riff, I watching the price and talking to the wife to prepare for the purchase. It may take a little bit but I'm pushing to get it before the 2nd baby arrives in Aug. Thought I better start looking and pushing for it now it give a little lead time.

Shawn