Yankee Land Report: A-Rod to NY Fans...Get behind me or I leave by the end of year?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
In an interview with Mike Francesa and the Chris Russo (on WFAN) yesterday, A-Rod admitted that he wants to spend the rest of his career in a Yankee uniform but it was up to the Fans and Management.

Last year A-Rod although had a good season (if you just look at the numbers), admitted that it was the first time in his baseball career that he did not feel it was fun to play baseball. Between the tons of booing and Joe Torre batting him 8th in the line up against the Detroit Tigers in the last game of the first round of the playoffs, it made him think that this year will be a year of decisions for him. He has an option at the end of the year to opt out of his $72million (last three years) contract.

It looks like his relationship with Derek Jeter has deteriorated to the point when asked about Jeter, A-Rod declined to speak about Derek Jeter in any sort of way. This could be bad or good depending how you look at it. But it looks like there is more than meet the eyes between these two and how this is going to affect the Team as a whol when the Captain of the Team cannot a team mate of your third basement and 4th batter in the line up.

A-Rod said that he was embarrased by Joe Torre for hitting him in the 8th position last year during the playoffs. He admitted having a closed door conversation with Joe Torre and would not discusse it publicly.

So what do you think? Do A-Rod deservers the backing of the Fans and Management or will Yankee fans regret to get the best baseball player and first ballot hall of famer Alex Rodriguez out of NY. What do you think?

I am so glad the Rangers got rid of his sorry ass. His ego wasn't wanted here. Too bad we signed him to that rediculous contract in the first place.

His problems with Jeter are of his own making; he's the guy who's talked to the press. In ANY altercation, the fans will side with Jeter. Like him or not, the guy is ultra-consistent, plays every play like it's the last out of the WS, handles the press well, and always maintains a level of dignity on or off the field. Contrast that to A-Rod... who tends to sulk, has lacked self-confidence at times (while a Yankee), and has talked to the press about his teammates... if I had friends like A-Rod, I might find new friends too.

A-Rod is a great player, but if you break-down his numbers to enough detail, you find that he compiles HUGE numbers against the bottom-feeders and almost disappears against the best teams. Been that way throughout his career.

Yankees' fans expect the promised-product. Look how they rallied behind Giambi after the steroid fiasco: once he started producing, no more problems.

If A-Rod shuts-up and plays well and consistently through the year, including against Boston, and has a solid post-season, then he'll be fine. If he doesn't, and butts-heads or takes clubhouse business to the press, then he's done.

So it's all up to A-Rod. He knows the expectation and has to decide whether he wants the fans' support.

Actually, I've got to amend my earlier post.

Now that I think of it, he's blaming the fans for his misery; and dumping his responsibilities onto the fans. He's ultimately responsible for what he does on-field, and off. He's been there 3 years and knows the drill: the middle of the Yankee order is expected to come-through in the clutch regardless of name or salary.

This is just the same mouthing-off that got him in this mess to start-with. These comments are NOT going to endear him with the fans. He's just exercised more stupidity and put himself under a higher-power microscope.

Paraphrasing Joe Torre: A-Rod creates his own pressure. Maybe they can get some young arms for him, like they did for the surly old man with ERA of 5.00 last year.

Boy how I miss the A-Rod and Johnson and Griffey from Seattle......
This is when I started watching these superstars, actually I started with Johnson when he was in Montreal.

I think A-Rod is a very good player and in a different situation could be a very good player again, not everyone can play in NY, plenty have been average at best.

Jimbo

This is when I started watching these superstars, actually I started with Johnson when he was in Montreal.

I think A-Rod is a very good player and in a different situation could be a very good player again, not everyone can play in NY, plenty have been average at best.

Jimbo

Seattle misses those days too. Too much has happened since they were here that anyone longs to have them back now. But those guys did a lot to save baseball here. More than any of them I'd love to have Lou Piniella back. I hope Chicago appreciates him.

Jimbo

The problem with A-Rod in NY is that he tries to compete with Jeter as the teams star when Jeter is a NY icon.

If A-Rod would let Jeter be the guy, New Yorkers would leave him alone.

The problem with A-Rod in NY is that he tries to compete with Jeter as the teams star when Jeter is a NY icon.

If A-Rod would let Jeter be the guy, New Yorkers would leave him alone.

Letting Jeter be the icon (and to be fair, he's earned it) is only part of it.

Yankees' fans have been spoiled. We still expect the big man to be Reggie Jackson and hit 3 home runs in the deciding game of the WS. Winfield didn't do it. Mattingly didn't do it. Jeter didn't but was a WS MVP and has 4 rings. The Yankees in the A-Rod era have not only missed the WS every year, they're the only team to blow a 3-0 post season series lead in any sport. He hit cleanup during that fiasco and took a big collar during the last 4 games, making himself a ripe target.

Like it or not, Yankees' fans are forever gracious to those who've done it in the clutch. I consider it a fair assessment to say that as a Yankee, A-Rod has not earned his way past Giambi, Winfield, or Jack Clark: some lofty company who did not earn rings. Mattingly didn't either, but he had long tenure and handled the press a LOT better than A-Rod.

A-Rod has not come through in the clutch, and has managed to bungle every word he's said to the NY press since arriving.

You don't earn the local fans by what you did elsewhere.

Arod and the Yankees are just fine. Timely hitting will change folks minds. What goes around will come around. Look at Ortiz, all those big hits for Boston to finish in third place. Arods due to get some big hits, and when he starts hitting in the clutch I see another world series title coming to the Bronx