Yee Haw! 921 is here!

DishBacker

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 22, 2004
DFW Area
Picked it up this morning at echosphere, hooked it up tonight, at I'm off into test land. Nothing like waiting since Dec. 28th to get it.

I read through as many posts as I could to make it as painless as possible:
* Made sure to connect 2 satellite feeds.
* Did the switch check
* Turned it off to allow for download (nice feature of having the power button blink while it is downloading).. got the L184 version.
* Allowed it to reboot, and then did the 2 min 20 sec power cord reboot
* Did an automated scan of digital channels... need to fix the exact pointing of my attic antenna, but its good enough to find most of the channels, and manually added my local abc channel.
* Activated and added the HD Pack (duh!)

Any other suggestions of things to make sure to skip the beginning pitfals?

I'm just beyond excitement! :D :D :D

DishBacker said:
Picked it up this morning at echosphere, hooked it up tonight, at I'm off into test land. Nothing like waiting since Dec. 28th to get it.

I read through as many posts as I could to make it as painless as possible:
* Made sure to connect 2 satellite feeds.
* Did the switch check
* Turned it off to allow for download (nice feature of having the power button blink while it is downloading).. got the L184 version.
* Allowed it to reboot, and then did the 2 min 20 sec power cord reboot
* Did an automated scan of digital channels... need to fix the exact pointing of my attic antenna, but its good enough to find most of the channels, and manually added my local abc channel.
* Activated and added the HD Pack (duh!)

Any other suggestions of things to make sure to skip the beginning pitfals?

I'm just beyond excitement! :D :D :D

Good luck DishBacker, I am waiting with bated breath for one. I am going to try to hold out until they seem to be more stable so I will keep an eye out for your progress with it.

good luck

Bob

Sounds like you've done all the right things. I have had mine for a couple of weeks and it has been working fine except for missing a couple of timer firings. After reading about the power cord reboot it is working fine now. Even picking up a couple of local digital stations, however, they don't broadcast in HD, just SD for now.

Looking forward to future software updates for more stability, but so far I am pleased with the capabilities etc.

TerryK said:
Sounds like you've done all the right things. I have had mine for a couple of weeks and it has been working fine except for missing a couple of timer firings. After reading about the power cord reboot it is working fine now. Even picking up a couple of local digital stations, however, they don't broadcast in HD, just SD for now.

Looking forward to future software updates for more stability, but so far I am pleased with the capabilities etc.

I have been successful just doing a smart card in/out reboot to fix timer issues. You just have to remove card just ~1/4 way enough to get error message & then push (GENTLY) back in. I do it once a week since the timers seem to fail after every 10 days!
The smart card reboot is faster & easier without having to move the TV to get to the power cord!! I am not convinced that a power cord reboot is needed. I reserve it for major 921 shut downs/lock ups!!! (Had to only it do it twice in 6 months!!) I am a little leary about cutting power while the hard drive might be spinning!!

Tahoerob, I noticed you have a Sony LCD RPTV. I have the 42 in and the picture didn't seem quite as dramatic as I had seen with other OTA receivers that I have tried. Did you do much with your TV settings? And are you using component or DVI? I just hooked up the component cables since I don't have a DVI cable.

Also, it looked like the stretch mode goes a little past the left and right edges. Have you messed with your settings at all to correct this? I know I have seen this discussed in other threads about previously it didn't stretch enough and now it might be stretching too much....

One more thing, on the display options, do you just have it set to 1080i? It would be nice if the unit would just output what the program is broadcast in, but I guess that is too simple. Does everything get upconverted to 1080i in that case by the 921?

Anyway, thanks for the sharing of your knowledge!

I got mine last night and already I have noticed a couple of things. I get the red/blue/green line down the middle of the screen during sd and some hd shows on dvi and component cables. OF course there is no recording of ota channels by timer. You can record off of them but only if you record from the channel while you watch it. The picture quality issue is what I am angriest about.

I just got rid of the 811 last week due to crushed blacks and x-ray like quality in dark screens over all of my outputs; sd/dvi/component. I am thinking of dropping the hd pack untill the 921 gets a software update that can fix the pq problem . I am staying in sd mode most of the time now because it stable with no problems.

Supposedly there is a software update in the near future that will fix some of the timer problems some people are having . No word when the fix is coming for the red/blue/green line down the middle of the screen.

DishBacker said:
Tahoerob, I noticed you have a Sony LCD RPTV. I have the 42 in and the picture didn't seem quite as dramatic as I had seen with other OTA receivers that I have tried. Did you do much with your TV settings? And are you using component or DVI? I just hooked up the component cables since I don't have a DVI cable.
I tried both. The factory settings for DVI seemed washed out compared to component. I did use a S & V calibration DVD to fine tune my component inputs prior. Thus, it may look better if I spent $400 for a ISF DVI calibration :D HOWEVER, after I did the DVD calibration, DVD palyback & satellite viewing was MUCH better! HD looks great.

DishBacker said:
Also, it looked like the stretch mode goes a little past the left and right edges. Have you messed with your settings at all to correct this? I know I have seen this discussed in other threads about previously it didn't stretch enough and now it might be stretching too much....
I have not changed any picture positions on mine. It seems fine.
My Sony stays in Full mode via component to 921 set on HD mode.
I do not stretch anything via 921. I watch SD channels with side bars.
Exceptions: #1 CBS East HD - they like to use gray side bars. If I stretch a non-HD program (ex. Survivor), it looks good. There is a minimal gray left showing on sides.
#2 SD widescreen shows. ie. movies. I use Zoom mode for these. It fills in my 16*9 screen nicely. I have found that the SD PPV (ch. 506 or 512) quality almost matches DVD

DishBacker said:
One more thing, on the display options, do you just have it set to 1080i? It would be nice if the unit would just output what the program is broadcast in, but I guess that is too simple. Does everything get upconverted to 1080i in that case by the 921?

Anyway, thanks for the sharing of your knowledge!
Yes, I keep the 921 set to 1080i 16*9.
Technically SD & 720p programs are upconverted to 1080i. Since most HD is 1080i, I wanted the signal to pass through the 921 & let my Sony downconvert to 780p native. I figure the circuitry in the Sony is superior then the 921!!! I have not noticed a major difference in quality setting the 921 to 720p but the picture is off center! So, I keep it at 1080i. ESPN & ABC OTA technically get up rezzed through 921 & then back down rezzed by TV.

Tahoerob said:
I have been successful just doing a smart card in/out reboot to fix timer issues. You just have to remove card just ~1/4 way enough to get error message & then push (GENTLY) back in. I do it once a week since the timers seem to fail after every 10 days!
The smart card reboot is faster & easier without having to move the TV to get to the power cord!! I am not convinced that a power cord reboot is needed. I reserve it for major 921 shut downs/lock ups!!! (Had to only it do it twice in 6 months!!) I am a little leary about cutting power while the hard drive might be spinning!!

Tahoerob
Thanks for the info. I tried it yesterday when my 921 froze at the end of watching a recorded show. It makes sense to be as easy as possible on the hard drive.

TerryK said:
Tahoerob
Thanks for the info. I tried it yesterday when my 921 froze at the end of watching a recorded show. It makes sense to be as easy as possible on the hard drive.
The first month I had mine I called Adv. TS a few times. Their procedure is to first do a smartcard OR power button hold reboot first.
Then if problem not fixed, do a PULL power CORD reboot. I think the actual time elapsed after pulling power cord is not that important.

Most of my issues have been resolved with a smartcard reboot.

stratguy said:
Good luck DishBacker, I am waiting with baited breath for one.
Bob

What kind of "bait" are you using...? Seems that would turn chicks off.
Unless, of course, you mean "bated breath"

The word "bated" is an aphetic, or clipped, form of the word "abated," and means "lessened or restrained." In other words, to "wait with bated breath" is to hold your breath while waiting for something to happen. Although "abate" is a fairly common word, virtually the only place you'll find "bated" these days is in the phrase "with bated breath."

After waiting since my order in December, I came home today, to a freshly delivered 921.

I carefully followed directions. Hooking up both satellite antenna cables (previously tested good on both lines using my 6000). I hook up not only component, but S-Video, Composite and RF output cables. Hold my breath, inserted the power plug and...
exactly what happened to John Walsh and his first 921... nothing. No lights, just the slight "whirr" of the hard drive spinning.

CRAPITY CRAP CRAP CRAP!

I've contacted Dish tech support and was quickly escalated to Advanced Technical Support. Went through the usual script of things to do (unplugging - waiting -plugging - waiting - holding the power button - yadda-yadda-yadda) to no avail. I will be receiving a call from an engineer in the morning. Hopefully he will be able to overnight a replacement to me. I was really looking forward to a long weekend with the new toy!

I hope to skip John's continuous streak of bad luck and get a functioning (well, as functional as can be expected) 921 on my second try.

Till the morning, I'm keeping the faith!

Regards,
Spence

Just out of curiosity who did you get your 921 from? I got a new one from DishDepot.com about three days ago and it worked okay, except for all the powercord reboots I had to do, from the get go. Mark even double boxed my receiver so it wouldn't get damaged in transit. Ups delievery guys are great but they are not always so gentle on delivery of these electronic items even with Fragile written all over it.

MikeD-C05 said:
Just out of curiosity who did you get your 921 from? I got a new one from DishDepot.com about three days ago and it worked okay, except for all the powercord reboots I had to do, from the get go. Mark even double boxed my receiver so it wouldn't get damaged in transit. Ups delievery guys are great but they are not always so gentle on delivery of these electronic items even with Fragile written all over it.

Purchased it from Mark at Dish Depot and have no beef with him. I've been an exclusive Dish Depot customer since subscribing with Dish Network.

It came double-boxed and nicely labeled. No exterior damage to the box and no visible damage to the unit itself.

It just won't power up.

In addition to working through Dish Network's advanced tech support, I've got a call into Mark and am waiting to hear from him. John Walsh suggested that I send an e-mail to ceo@dishnetwork.com for faster action.

I am kind of angry, but more in that I was really looking forward to playing with it over a long holiday weekend. I know defective runs happen. I just hope that I can get a replacement overnighted to me.

Regards,
Spence

John Walsh said:
spenceJT - check your private messages

Done!

My wife will be going home over lunch to get the required info and I'll get back with Dish Network to get a replacement shipped (hopefully by Saturday).

Thanks again for the help! Hope you finally have a working 921!

Spence

Got mine finally hooked up last night. First of all, it did not see 61.5 feed. Tried couple of Check switch process, no luck. With no option left other than call the support, I decided to just swap the inputs. It magically worked! Don't ask me why, I am sure that is one of the 921 feature :) Then, it just won't download the software. I had initial SW L054. Tried varies reboot, still says "Download interrupted. Please wait......". Now, it is the time to call Support. The guy on the phone is nice, suggested me to go to point dish section and cahnge the setting to Sat. 119; Spot 19 (Defaut is 119/11). Wala! It started download! Another undocumented 921 feature :) 30 minutes later, I finally had a functional 921! This has been the longest waiting experience in my life (since Dec. 2003) !!!!!! I am so glad that is over. Now, all I hope is it will continue work as it supposed to be :)

I got mine a few days back. One question - I assume it'll do local channel mapping (so that the locals end up on channels 2, 4, etc.) but it's been about 4 days and hasn't happened yet. Normal? do i need to reboot the sucker or something? (i thought it reboots every night, so i've avoided doing it on my own).

Update: well, did some more effective forum searching and i guess the 921 doesn't (at least yet, perhaps never) support locals channel mapping. Okay then :)

No it does not do channel mapping.

in a future update though it is supposed to do it.

It will only reboot at night if you have the unit off (in standby mode)

I powered mine up yesterday. So far, no problems. I watched it download and install the update by calling up the menu and selecting the SOFTWARE UPDATES item. It counted up the downloads and then installed and rebooted.

So far, I have not had to smart card reboot or power cord reboot. When the receiver was activated, it took no time at all to get the regular channels, and about 5 more minutes for the locals to show.

I tried a timed recording early this morning, but have yet to check and see if it came out.

I also got mine from Dish Depot. It had been on order since Feb 03. Mine, however, was NOT double boxed, and the box itself looked to have taken a beating.

So..........................................I'm crossing my fingers! :D

:-jon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)