yes network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
fresco said:
YES only wants the same deal they got with DTV...nothing more, nothing less. Why should Dish be expecting anything else?

They aren't going to get it. They were offered EVERY DOLLAR raised form people who want the channel. What they want is to extort money from subscribers that have no desire to get this channel! We are talking more than a couple of bucks per month per EVERY subsriber in the YES area whether or not they want the channel. It's not nickels and dimes.

So to make is simple, as long as YES stick to this model, they will not be on Dish. And since the launch of YES, Dish is still growing subscribers and still profitable so YES is not that big a deal.

See ya
Tony

I was lured to Dish by their offer for a free HD receiver that actually sucked. They had no local sports for me, but I watch other programming, so I could put up with that. My wife is a big Lifetime-LMN fan, and she was unhappy with Dish since they knocked off those channels. My local cable company offered to pay what it would cost to end my service with Dish. I now get four local RSNs-YES, MSG, CSN Philadelphia, and FSN PIttstburgh, my locals in HD, and most of the channels I received on Dish. They also have MLB EI. We couldn't be happier. I have to admit that the picture is better for a few channels on Dish, but it is worth it because I no longer have to get upset when I read some of the pro-Dish propaganda on these forums.

fresco said:
Hmm....so you think its all George’s fault? Then how come George has been able to get deals done with DTV and many cable companies? Dish Network is the only one thats having issues getting YES... Yea it’s all George’s fault... :rolleyes:

I think Tony summed it up nicely. He's an a$$hole, a greedy bastard just like Lamar Hunt except Lamar can't powermanuever like Steinbrenner(thank GOD!). I say GO Charlie! for shutting him down and I hope he does the same to Hunt if they try to put up a Chiefs channel around here.
Btw with YES and what Tony says that sounds like another channel to me as well, COUGHESPNCOUGH.

Sure sounds like pro-Dish propaganda to me... in these guys eyes Charlie can do no wrong. He is saving Dish Net customers money? Last time I checked DTV and Dish packages are basically the same price...and DTV has YES... Truth is Charlie is just looking out for himself and his pockets...

Can someone please...for the love of God...Tell me how DTV and hundreds of Cable Networks have managed to get YES. However Dish Network for four freaking years has been unable to do so? :confused:

Last edited:
YES is a regional sports network owned by the New York Yankees. They broadcast Yankee and New Jersey Net games and some college football and basketball. The channel is only useful to people that live in NYC, upstate NY, Northern NJ, Northeast PA, and parts of Conn. If you live elsewhere a good amount of programming will be blacked out. Dish Network does not offer this channel, but Directv and almost all cable systems in that area do. You will get some YES feeds on MLBEI, but not all of them. Take it from me, I used to live in Allentown, PA, the Philadelphia DMA, and even with sports pack on DTV, alot of stuff was blacked out.

Dish offer to the YES Network (a la carte) is a non-sensical offer today (from the point of view how these networks operate). No Regional Network or any Network will go the a la carte route because they will simply cut their own throad in subscriber revenue and more importantly in advertising revenue. The advertisers pay per subscribers. The more subscribers the Network has the more money the Network is able to charge. So in light of this no one in their right mind will adopt the a la carte business model (a losing proposition for any network that depends on advertising to create their biggest stream of revenue). D* and other cables are probably paying a high price for the Network but at the same time D* and cable look at the others variables (keeping your customers happy, even it means paying a little bit more). Charlie couldn't do this because he has this image in the business as a tough negotiator that will not give in to any Network demands unless makes sense to him (not his subscribers).

Look now and see that the same is happening with Lifetime Network. Charlie is offering the same a la carte model that every Network on Earth will reject (except the premium services). The same will happen with the Mets New Network and Charlie again will impose his "tough negotiator image". The a-la-carte model does not work for these Networks!!!!

In simple terms, networks like YES are not worth the fees they want to charge. If their real cost had to be borne solely by those subscribers interested in the channel, most wouldn't pay for it. I know there are many channels guilty of this, ESPN being the most obvious example. IMO, if a channel wants premium fees for carriage, than they should be treated as such.

NightRyder

Ding! Ding! Ding! In a perfect society, a la carte would be great, but you just explained perfectly why it's never going to happen. I'm a sports junkie and not afraid to admit it and realize that not everyone watches sports and may watch channels that myself and others wouldn't even give the time of day for.

If a la carte becomes the norm what will happen if I and other sports junkies don't buy second tier networks like National Geographic or any of the Discovery networks? They'll go dark due to a lack of revenue, same can be said for the networks that I may watch, but other's don't.

The second tier networks have invested hundreds of millions of dollars to get off the ground and receive carriage on cable systems throughout the country, do you think they'll love being forced off the air due to a lack of advertising and viewers? What if said second tier network was a network you watched and were a faithful viewer of?

You non sports fans may not like subsidizing ESPN, but the same can be said about us sports fans who don't watch networks that you may watch and like I said, if a la carte becomes the norm, what if one of your favorite channels or mine for that matter, goes dark due to a lack of "subscribers", which in turn, lead's to a lack of revenue?

Sean Mota said:
Dish offer to the YES Network (a la carte) is a non-sensical offer today (from the point of view how these networks operate). No Regional Network or any Network will go the a la carte route because they will simply cut their own throad in subscriber revenue and more importantly in advertising revenue. The advertisers pay per subscribers. The more subscribers the Network has the more money the Network is able to charge. So in light of this no one in their right mind will adopt the a la carte business model (a losing proposition for any network that depends on advertising to create their biggest stream of revenue). D* and other cables are probably paying a high price for the Network but at the same time D* and cable look at the others variables (keeping your customers happy, even it means paying a little bit more). Charlie couldn't do this because he has this image in the business as a tough negotiator that will not give in to any Network demands unless makes sense to him (not his subscribers).

Last edited:
IMO: Pro sports is headed for premium or PPV, it's inevitable. The franchise owned sports channels are just the first step.

NightRyder

TNGTony said:
Fresco,

Charlie offered an a la carte slot to YES for nothing. They told YES that they could set their price for the a la carte subscription and they would get ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the money fromt he subscriptions. Dish would absorb the uplink and administrative costs thereby losing money on the deal but it could be a loss leader for Dish.

Sounds fair, right?

YES did not agree and refused the terms. Who is it that doesn't care about NYC?

They aren't going to get it. They were offered EVERY DOLLAR raised form people who want the channel. What they want is to extort money from subscribers that have no desire to get this channel! We are talking more than a couple of bucks per month per EVERY subsriber in the YES area whether or not they want the channel. It's not nickels and dimes.

So to make is simple, as long as YES stick to this model, they will not be on Dish. And since the launch of YES, Dish is still growing subscribers and still profitable so YES is not that big a deal.

See ya
Tony
YES wants the same carriage deal as every other RSN (be a part of AT60+, AT120 and above). Bottom line, YES wants more for this deal than Dish is willing to pay. End of story.

As documented in dozens of other threads, evrybody knows that a-la-carte is a bad deal. To make the most money your channel (YES / Lifetime / whatever) needs to be in a basic package. I can't deny that George is an ass, but I can't blame him for turning down Charlie's offer.

NightRyder said:
IMO: Pro sports is headed for premium or PPV, it's inevitable. The franchise owned sports channels are just the first step.

NightRyder
The RSNs tried this already. Many of the RSNs - including NESN, MSG, and old RSNs that were sucked up into the Fox Sports Net family - used to be premium services (and in some very limited places still are). But the networks and the teams behind them have found that they make a lot more money charging a lower fee and being in a basic package. The most recent example, C-SET (Carolina Bobcats, only on digital cable) folded after one year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts