Yes, You Subscribe..But You're Blacked Out Anyway

VegasDen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Las Vegas
Ok...I know Dish for TV; DirectTV for sports.

I subscribe to the Multi-Sports package. According to both Dish & MLB, I live in an area authorized as "home" by Dodgers, Angels, Athletics, Giants, Diamondbacks and Padres.

I was able to watch the Dodgers game this am. However, this afternoon I was hit with a black-out of the Giants/Astros opener. I understand the ESPN2 blackout. But that is why I pay extra for Multi-sports...to get the Giants on CSNBA.

The CSR (and her supervisor) both agree I (and other Las Vegas subscribers) should be getting the CSNBA feed. But they had no explanation why. Well, they did offer one explanation....that "sometimes it might not be available"...but offered no explanation as to why those sometimes occur.

They could not do anything about this they said...they had no control over blackouts...

I am not an MLBEI type...I just enjoy an occasional baseball game. But if Dish can't even offer a logical explanation then perhaps D-TV is my better option. I'll give them another shot...first day and they might have had some switches not correct. But if it's not rectified by weeks end....

easy
Dish did not pay the rights for that sports channel to be broadcast in your area. Once you get outside the main area for a team, there are different "rings" that the satco's/cable co's can pay for to show that RSN in that area

Dish seems to be doing that to the hockey fans too. In Dallas & St Louis there were more games added to FSN and it cost the provider more to show those games. Dish said no so Dish fans missed out on like 20+ games in those markets

CSN BA probably has 2 pricing structures....one for local only (Cali) and one for the whole "claimed" area. Dish probably paid the "local only" price

you know not to rub it in but Dish folks in Vegas get HOSED on sports

ran a zip on both systems

Dish gives you
Fox Sports West
Fox Sports West 2

Isnt one called FSN Prime Ticket now?

anywho...with D*
With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

FSN West (Ch. 692) - HD Available
# Angels (HD Available)
# Los Angeles Kings (HD Available)
# Los Angeles Lakers (HD Available)

FSN Prime Ticket (Ch. 694) - HD Available
# Anaheim Ducks (HD Available)
# Dodgers (HD Available)
# Los Angeles Clippers (HD Available)

Comcast SportsNet Bay Area (Ch. 696) - HD Available
# Giants (HD Available)
# Golden State Warriors (HD Available)

Comcast SportsNet California (Ch. 698) - HD Available
# Athletics (HD Available)
# Sacramento Kings (HD Available)

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:

FSN Arizona (Ch. 686) - HD Available
# Diamondbacks (HD Available)

so on Dish you get 2 RSN's and on Direct you get 4. I cant see what sports you would get if you added the RSN pack on DIsh

easy
Dish did not pay the rights for that sports channel to be broadcast in your area.

So, if what you say is true (not questioning you...just a statement), then Dish basically is false advertising. When you order, it tells you what you can receive. It listed both CSN stations. The CSR and her supervisor both confirmed the Dish computer says the same thing. Further, MLB states I should be authorized as Vegas is the "home" territory is every West Coast team except the Mariners. :)

And, yes, you're right. D-TV carries the CSN channels (and they aired the games according to a local friend who checked for me today). So it wasn't a Comcast thing.

Jumping thru channels tonight, I saw I was able to receive (a bad SD picture) the Diamondbacks opener. So, I was able to get one RSN in the package I for which I am paying.

I wrote (for whatever it's worth) to the CEO asking for a logical explanation. I doubt I'll get one.

But if they are going to take my money and not provide what they say they will then perhaps a cancellation is in order.

So, if what you say is true (not questioning you...just a statement), then Dish basically is false advertising. When you order, it tells you what you can receive. It listed both CSN stations. The CSR and her supervisor both confirmed the Dish computer says the same thing. Further, MLB states I should be authorized as Vegas is the "home" territory is every West Coast team except the Mariners. :)
What are they advertising? According to the Dish locals/RSN site you get FSN West & Prime as your local RSN. If you add the multi-sports package there is no guarantee what extra games you will get with Dish. It all depends on how much money dish spent to carry those channels.

Dish did the same thing in MN. In the SE and NE part of the state it is claimed by both the Twins and Brewers. On Dish you ONLY get the Twins. Directv you get both in those markets

And, yes, you're right. D-TV carries the CSN channels (and they aired the games according to a local friend who checked for me today). So it wasn't a Comcast thing.
no . Dish probably didnt pay for the rights to show it in Vegas

I've raised hell a few times for getting football games blacked out on ESPN. I pay for the channel and its not being broadcasted on a local channel then I should be able to watch it. I had one CSR get rude and disconnect from the chat once, I got a sup the next time and raised even more hell. Told them if it happens again I want to have my money back for that channel's lost time and so far I've gotten it everytime. :up

But that opens a new can of worms

rule says if its on your local station its blacked out on ESPN. If Dish doesn't carry the local or in the case yesterday YES Network, you're STILL blacked out.

Just because a station is not carried doesnt allow the blackout to be lifted.

In Vegas, if you have the multi-sports pak, you also get the Diamondbacks games in addition to the Angels and Dodgers. No Bay Area teams, though. For that, you need D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts