Yet Another Black Out Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
I live in central california. Dodgers at Rockies is "blacked out in your area" on both MLB and FSRM channels. What's up with this? I'm over 1,000 miles away from Colorado!

Check KCAL-TV 9 or KCAL-DT 43 (9.1). They should have the broadcast rights for many of the away games. When a LOCAL affiliate has broadcast rights, they should superceed everyone else locally. So, if you can't get KCAL via OTA, cable or DBS as your LIL, then the league blackout rules will be screwing you, thanks to you being claimed by said market. Let me know I can call my cousin to verify.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Check KCAL-TV 9 or KCAL-DT 43 (9.1). They should have the broadcast rights for many of the away games. When a LOCAL affiliate has broadcast rights, they should superceed everyone else locally. So, if you can't get KCAL via OTA, cable or DBS as your LIL, then the league blackout rules will be screwing you, thanks to you being claimed by said market. Let me know I can call my cousin to verify.

Then why, (today Wed) is the Dodgers at Rockies game blacked on ESPN HD (D* said all of California is blacked out except for San Diego), blacked out on FSRM, blacked out on MLB but NOT blacked on on FSPT? I'm too far away for KCAK and D* doesn't offer it to me.

According to the MLB blackout rules, regardless of if your can really receive the local affiliate or not, if you are in their "claimed area", and they have the local broadcast rights for said claimed area, all others will be blackedout to give the local affiliate the right of way so to speak. All these stupid BO rules leagues, teams, and locals have is SO STUPID and really does more harm to the fan/viewer that the protection they claim. Complaints should be directed to the team ownership, the league in question, the NAB, and the FCC. They create the rules, Dish Network, cable and DirecTV only enforce what they are told to do. MLB has the MOST SCREWED UP of all the leagues rules. In this day and age the time has come to do away with DMAs and market boundaries.

I am assuming, like me you are a Dodger fan? Luckily I am in the Phoenix area these days and can see them, but call the Dodgers marketing number and give them your zip code and ask how do I see my team on TV with the blackout rules? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(broadcasting)

I see on the Dodger TV schedule PRIME is listed as the local carrier; not familiar with them anymore, thought they got bought out by FOX but may still carry the PRIME name locally. Do you get that maybe?

What is you zip code?

EDIT: see that PRIME (aka Prime Ticket also FSW2) that is obviously the regional network that holds the rights for your zip code? So ESPN and FSRM must yield to them in some, if not most CA area zips. http://msn.foxsports.com/regional/west

Last edited:
The rules for MLB are so screwed up as to be a joke. I was watching at my parents house the other night, they have the EI package. The Marlins were at the Braves. I live in Tallahassee, 200+ miles from Atlanta, 400+ from Miami. The game is supposed to be on 720. Not on. I look at the guide. Three other channels showing. Not on ANY of them. I try FoxSports South. 634 I think. Not there, but a message saying you need to upgrade to a higher package!!!!! to get 40+ more Marlins games!!!! WHAT THE HELL!!!?!??!?!? What is the point of having the EI package if you have to go to ANOTHER TIER of packaging to get EVEN MORE BASEBALL?????????????? On top of all this there was the Marlins broadcast for a game in Atlanta, and I'm a HECK of a lot closer to Atlanta or for that matter Tampa Bay (Devil Rays) but for some UNKNOWN REASON, I'm in the Marlins area!!!!

Talk about screwed up!!!!! :mad:

Now its Saturday and no Mets or Yankees. No Giants and Oakland. Nice. Nowhere on MLB or FS. Who the heck wants to watch Kansas City? We get the lame games but not the good ones!

Boondockbill said:
Now its Saturday and no Mets or Yankees. No Giants and Oakland. Nice. Nowhere on MLB or FS. Who the heck wants to watch Kansas City? We get the lame games but not the good ones!

The Yankee/Met game was on Fox, so you would have gotten it depending on who else was on Fox and where you are. I got the Yankee game in CT.

The Giants vs A's was on FOX-TV via KTVU channel 2 today; not Fox Sports Net (seperate channels) see attached. Tomorrow's game will be on KTVU as well.

Attachments

• SFO vs OAK TV.JPG
    SFO vs OAK TV.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
raoul5788 said:
The Yankee/Met game was on Fox, so you would have gotten it depending on who else was on Fox and where you are. I got the Yankee game in CT.

The Yankees/Mets game was ONLY on Fox East. That kinda leaves out half the country.....

charper1 said:
The Giants vs A's was on FOX-TV via KTVU channel 2 today; not Fox Sports Net (seperate channels) see attached. Tomorrow's game will be on KTVU as well.

Giants/A's was local only, that kinda leaves out the REST of the country...

charper1 said:
According to the MLB blackout rules, regardless of if your can really receive the local affiliate or not, if you are in their "claimed area", and they have the local broadcast rights for said claimed area, all others will be blackedout to give the local affiliate the right of way so to speak. All these stupid BO rules leagues, teams, and locals have is SO STUPID and really does more harm to the fan/viewer that the protection they claim. Complaints should be directed to the team ownership, the league in question, the NAB, and the FCC. They create the rules, Dish Network, cable and DirecTV only enforce what they are told to do. MLB has the MOST SCREWED UP of all the leagues rules. In this day and age the time has come to do away with DMAs and market boundaries.

I am assuming, like me you are a Dodger fan? Luckily I am in the Phoenix area these days and can see them, but call the Dodgers marketing number and give them your zip code and ask how do I see my team on TV with the blackout rules? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(broadcasting)

I see on the Dodger TV schedule PRIME is listed as the local carrier; not familiar with them anymore, thought they got bought out by FOX but may still carry the PRIME name locally. Do you get that maybe?

What is you zip code?

EDIT: see that PRIME (aka Prime Ticket also FSW2) that is obviously the regional network that holds the rights for your zip code? So ESPN and FSRM must yield to them in some, if not most CA area zips. http://msn.foxsports.com/regional/west

FS Prime Ticket is virtually unviewable because of those stupid "ground cams" at 1st , pitcher's mound, hp.....the cam is right on the ground for an unnatural shot, making the player's butts HUGE! Good for the gay crowd, I guess. Because of it's location, the shots are horrible because of the high contrast with the sky. What idiot thought it up, I do not know.

Another peeve is the micing of the bat, you're watching a nice audio game then...CRACK....a huge jump in volume just so we can hear the ball hit the bat or the catcher's glove. And someone PLEASE ditch the lame mic when a runner hits 1st. Who think's up these things? Hollywood wannabe's?

Boondockbill said:
FS Prime Ticket is virtually unviewable because of those stupid "ground cams" at 1st , pitcher's mound, hp.....the cam is right on the ground for an unnatural shot, making the player's butts HUGE! Good for the gay crowd, I guess. Because of it's location, the shots are horrible because of the high contrast with the sky. What idiot thought it up, I do not know.

Another peeve is the micing of the bat, you're watching a nice audio game then...CRACK....a huge jump in volume just so we can hear the ball hit the bat or the catcher's glove. And someone PLEASE ditch the lame mic when a runner hits 1st. Who think's up these things? Hollywood wannabe's?

How about the swooshing noises they use for transitions? VERY annoying!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)