Yet another feature wish thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerseyMatt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Midwest
I know I can't be the only one. You know you've done it (especially with the remote in RF mode).

You've got a program running in delay for whatever reason, you've paused it to go take a dump, or eat dinner, or go get the kids, whatever. So now your program is buffered by a half hour or more. You go back to watching, and maybe you lose the remote down the side of the couch cushion. While trying to grab it you hit a channel button, and >POOF< your buffered program is gone and when you flip back to the right channel it's back to Live, with no way to get it back to where you were.

Can we PLEASE have a warning that comes up that makes you select OK and hit enter or something before you can change the channel while watching a delayed program? All other DVRs that I've used had an 'interlock' like that to make you confirm the channel change so you don't lose your buffer by accident. Or another option would be to have it automatically activate DoublePlay mode when the channel is changed while in delay. That way you can go back to right where you were without it dumping the buffer on you. Pretty please with sugar on top?

I feel your pain, because it can be frustrating to lose the buffer. I've done that myself, but there's always a safeguard of hitting RECORD if you know you're going to be away for awhile.

I've used several DVRs and have never seen this "interlock" feature, but if DIRECTV adds it, I sure hope it also is optional so it can toggled off or on as desired (similar to the "recording tip").

Cablevision DVR doesn't have this "interlock" feature
TiVo DVR doesn't have it
Windows Media Center (XP, Vista and Win 7) doesn't have this feature
DIRECTV DVR doesn't have it

I feel your pain, because it can be frustrating to lose the buffer. I've done that myself, but there's always a safeguard of hitting RECORD if you know you're going to be away for awhile.

I've used several DVRs and have never seen this "interlock" feature, but if DIRECTV adds it, I sure hope it also is optional so it can toggled off or on as desired (similar to the "recording tip").

Cablevision DVR doesn't have this "interlock" feature
TiVo DVR doesn't have it
Windows Media Center (XP, Vista and Win 7) doesn't have this feature
DIRECTV DVR doesn't have it

Meh, hitting record is true, but it's a hassle because then you have to delete it, and then if you want to watch the next show you still lose that.

And I had a Cablevision SA 8300HD and it definitely had a warning if you tried to change channels while in delay. I also seem to remember way back, the RCA UltimateTV box had it too. I have never owned a standalone Tivo, but since they dont have a tuner built in it would be different. Maybe someone who had an old DirecTivo remembers if those had it?

Yes i've done that before. But since the DVR automatically buffers whatever channel it's currently on, what you're suggesting means that EVERY single time you want to switch channels, you will need to confirm 'OK' before switching channels!!!!! NO THANKS!

I do like the idea to 'automatically activate' doubleplay mode when a channel is switched. That would solve the problem. I believe my old Tivo used to do that.

Come on Jersey, you had to hit the pause button, just hit the Record button instead !

Deleting takes a few seconds.

And what about the show on next? :)

Yes i've done that before. But since the DVR automatically buffers whatever channel it's currently on, what you're suggesting means that EVERY single time you want to switch channels, you will need to confirm 'OK' before switching channels!!!!! NO THANKS!

I do like the idea to 'automatically activate' doubleplay mode when a channel is switched. That would solve the problem. I believe my old Tivo used to do that.

You misunderstood me.. I mean have a confirmation to change ONLY when you are watching in delay. Because if you are watching in delay, changing channels means you can never go back to where you were because it dumps the buffer. If you are watching live with no delay (ie: you haven't paused or rewound), there would be no need for a confirmation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts