You guys are scaring me !!!

klherr

Sep 29, 2004
Ind
I have a 811 ordered and will be here this week,now i,m wondering if it will be worth all the trouble lol I guess my question is ... I have never had high def before...just got a new 51in Hitachi and thought i would try it is it really that much better? picture quality that is??????????

FKy.Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 1, 2004
Union,Ky.
I just hooked up my 811,that I upgraded from a 322 receiver.The picture is very good as Simon advised above.However what I was very disappointed in was the rest of the package.On the 322 the color graphics were much more appealing.I.E.,on the SIRIUS channels,you had a bright blue background,with the name of the song/artist etc. not the dull black screen that I now see on the 811.Same with the on screen channel/info is also a basic white lettering/on black screen.Was also surprised to learn that you can only program so many channels on your favorites list.I `m very much impressed with the picture quality and hopefully these little items might be addressed at a later date and time.Because I do realize from reading the 811 posts here on Sat. Guys that several bugs still need to be worked out on this receiver.I guess with all the hype that I had heard about the 811,I thought all the bells and whistles would already come attached with it.Simon do you or any other of the Guys in the know here on Sat.Guys heard of any S.W. updates on the way for this unit??? I thought that I read on one of the forums that a major software update for the 811 is set for sometime in the near future???? Thanks for any help and info you may be able to provide.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
FKy.Guy said:
I just hooked up my 811,that I upgraded from a 322 receiver.The picture is very good as Simon advised above.However what I was very disappointed in was the rest of the package.On the 322 the color graphics were much more appealing.I.E.,on the SIRIUS channels,you had a bright blue background,with the name of the song/artist etc. not the dull black screen that I now see on the 811.Same with the on screen channel/info is also a basic white lettering/on black screen.Was also surprised to learn that you can only program so many channels on your favorites list.I `m very much impressed with the picture quality and hopefully these little items might be addressed at a later date and time.Because I do realize from reading the 811 posts here on Sat. Guys that several bugs still need to be worked out on this receiver.I guess with all the hype that I had heard about the 811,I thought all the bells and whistles would already come attached with it.Simon do you or any other of the Guys in the know here on Sat.Guys heard of any S.W. updates on the way for this unit??? I thought that I read on one of the forums that a major software update for the 811 is set for sometime in the near future???? Thanks for any help and info you may be able to provide.
use the channel locks instead of the favorites list..you can hide unwanted channels

FKy.Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 1, 2004
Union,Ky.
Thanks Juan,I never even thought of that,I`m still trying to get familiar with this unit.I really liked the 322,once I get this one figured out,"hopefully" I will feel the same way

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
FKy.Guy said:
I.E.,on the SIRIUS channels,you had a bright blue background,with the name of the song/artist etc. not the dull black screen that I now see on the 811.

FKy.Guy, are you saying that you don't get the name of the song/artist on SIRIUS, or don't get a blue background? My background isn't blue, but the song title and artist are shown, same as on my 311.

Another forum poster said that Dish CSR told him the next 811 update was scheduled for sometime in October.

FKy.Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 1, 2004
Union,Ky.
No,I do get the song/artist info,it just appears on a black background in small white print.Not the colorful floating musical note I was accustom to :) this is not that big of a deal the PQ is the number #1 concern with a HD receiver,but I had heard so much about how the 811 was such a state-of-the-art receiver I guess I just expected to much.

mothergoose45

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 4, 2004
Has any one that ordered the 811 for lease had the $50 fee waived? If so how? I don't think I should have to pay $50 for a reciever that I lease and pay $5 a month for it. Also any luck on existing customers getting free HD Pak for any amount of months? WIll they give you 3 months free?

bestbuddy

Sep 14, 2004
You bet

Once you taste HD, you'll never want to go back. Although there's "startup" problems with the software on the 811, I think you'll find that it's worth the effort.

FKy.Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 1, 2004
Union,Ky.
I had the $50 fee waived,why ??? not sure I guess because I told them I was going to install it myself.In addition they only gave me 3 months free of the HD package,not the 6 because I was a current customer.It seems however it depends on which rep you talk to and on what days,others seem to be getting different options offered.

dhillii

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 24, 2004
I just use the 811 to watch HD sports (Fox, locals w/ my silver sensor)

ESPN HD is nice, TNT NBA should look dynamite. HBO HD is ok (comes w/ regular package).

Never watch anything else using my 811 (stretch mode on my widescreen TV loos like, well, stretched), have a 511 DVR plugged in the same TV and use it 95% of the time.

Is the 811 worth it? $10/month and an investment for a Silver Sensor to watch awesome HD sports, I would say yes.

klherr

Sep 29, 2004
Ind
I just ordered my 811 this past Wed. all i had to pay was the $24 shipping but could not talk them into any free time on the hd package......

tabarnzo

Sep 29, 2004
811 and viewing CBS

Is there anyone veiwing CBS with their 811? I read that there is a second Dish needed to hit a second bird? Also a waiver for viewing. Just Wondering

ShadowEKU

Expert in the Making
Supporting Founder
Jul 13, 2004
Frankfort, KY
tabarnzo said:
Is there anyone veiwing CBS with their 811? I read that there is a second Dish needed to hit a second bird? Also a waiver for viewing. Just Wondering

Im working on the waiver...

If you cant recieve it Over the Air you can request a waiver... then you would need the second dish to hit another bird

skybird

Sep 10, 2004
Relax

I have had my 811 for about 3 weeks now and haven't had any problems since the initial setup. Maybe I am just lucky, but I can channel surf and flip back and forth between a OTA channel and satellite. It does have it's learning curve. I can't respond to many "trouble type post" for this unit because I haven't experienced any so far. The October software update worries me since I seem to have a trouble free unit. I had some issues the first couple of days, but reading the instructions with a bit of trial and error corrected everything. I use a fiber optic for sound and it works on my system just fine. Scares the hell out of our cat when sound comes from all around our living room. HDTV is awsome on my Sammy DLP. We have a lot of HDTV OTA in my area and I get good strong signals from my 30 year old channel master antenna mounted in my attic.

Jstanuthrdishguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 5, 2004
skybird said:
The October software update worries me since I seem to have a trouble free unit.

You could set your receiver to "Ask permission" and not take the next download until the brave souls in here give the word that it's worth having.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)