You Missed It, SatelliteGuys Get Together with Charlie Ergen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
YOU MISSED IT!
You missed the SatelliteGuys Get Together today at Team Summit in Dallas Texas!

Everyone who attended had a great time, Dish Network CEO Charlie Ergen and Eric Sahl the VP of Programming spent over an hour with us, it was like our own personal Charlie Chat (But no ads for Credit Card Autopay) :)

In addition members got to talk with Mark Jackson the president of Echostar Communication, and were given a tour of all the new products and services announced at Team Summit by the Tech Goddess herself, Leslie Harper.

Look for reports of this special event to come from those who attended.

Our thanks to Charlie, Eric, Mark, Leslie and everyone at Dish Network for making this event possible!​

I cant wait to see what the members who showed up for this event have to say, it was incredible!

I had a great time. Got to meet many members, and "chat" with Charlie, and Eric. Had a great tour with Leslie, and saw some great products!

Hats off to Scott for getting us a meeting room, and setting up our vbisit with the Dish big-wigs!

Attached (I hope) is a picture I took of Charlie sitting across a small table from me. He sat and talked (and listened) for about an hour! We were expecting maybe a pop-in, say hi, and leave type deal. He was a great guy to visit with. I don't think Dish customers have to worry about anything. Charlie is on the ball, and sharp, and knowledgeable.

Scott also arranged for Charlie to take a private picture with each of us on the floor. After our tour, we went for drinks/snacks, again - compliments of Scott.

Tom in TX

And last, but not least, thanks to the Prize Goddess for letting Scott do all these great things! It was fun to meet her!

Attachments

• charlie.jpg
    charlie.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 573
so can we get a list of the names that match up with the picture? :D

If I remember correctly (sorry if I'm wrong), from L to R:

Stacy A, Claude (from dishstore.net), Tom in TX, classithings, ?, drjdan, Scott, Charlie, LER, Neutron, ghia, ?, Ocnier, and Mike123abc.

Tom in TX

that's impressive that Charlie would show up to the get-together...y'all worm any other good scoops out of him or the others?

I am the one on the far right with a blue check shirt.

It was amaizing how forthcoming Charlie was in our meeting. He did not hold back or hedge on questions. The only issue I think was that we forgot to ask him about stuff since we got in depth discussions on everything we asked about.

We had a mini tour of the floor (i.e. the dishnetwork area of the trade show). Saw all the new recievers, got to quiz the engineers about all sorts of tech stuff, etc.

The thing I have my eye on right now is that HP media center server. Wow the ability to put in 2+TBs, hook it up to the 622s via ethernet and store recordings from all your 622 around the house and playback anywhere. This allows you to hide the noisy disks somewhere way out of the way. Also looks like the non DVR VIP receivers will be able to access this also and playback.

One distubing item was that there seemed to be some reservations on the hook up your own hard drive. They kept mentioning that hard drive failure could result by running an ordinary hard drive 24/7. Almost like they wanted to sell you drives.

It looks like they are coming up with a decent internet Pay Per View system. The PPV relies on you having a high speed internet service. If you have 3mbit/sec+ you should be able to start watching standard definition pretty quick (they mentioned about a minute). HD PPV would take much longer. You also could order a bunch of PPV movies and it would download them one after another. The clock starts ticking on your purchase once you hit play. So, in theory you could just browse the latest hits list (or the full catalog) pick out all the movies you are interested in for the week and it would get busy downloading. 10 movies is the limit by the way.

I like the VOD over IP that they were showing off. I'd be interested in that.

I liked the 722 until they mentioned that even though it's got a bigger hard drive, the extra space wouldn't be available for the customer though.

The tour would have been a little better had it not been loud on the show floor. I swear every time Leslie would start talking someone would start playing drums on the other side of the floor.

I also like the technology that allows the DVRs to be connected together so that you can watch a recorded event from one DVR on another receiver.

I'm also interested in the HP Media bay they were showing off as well.

I will attach some pictures I took as well. The quality may suck as they were taken from my 2 Megapixel camera from my cell phone.

Again, it was very nice meeting everyone! Thanks again to everyone who attended, and to Scott and Eva for making it happen!

Thanks also goes to DISH, Charlie, Eric, and Leslie for allowing us to see the neat things coming out for DISH Network!

Attachments

• IMAGE_044.jpg
    IMAGE_044.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMAGE_043.jpg
    IMAGE_043.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMAGE_041.jpg
    IMAGE_041.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 232
  • IMAGE_046.jpg
    IMAGE_046.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMAGE_045.jpg
    IMAGE_045.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAGE_042.jpg
    IMAGE_042.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 265
Sounds like a great time was had by all. Definitely jealous.

How come Leslie wasn't in the photo with everybody? And PG for that matter??

:)

Leslie didn't attend the get together in the room we had reserved. The only two DISH people there were Charlie and Eric.

PG was the one taking our group photo.

I'm still on a high from attending our get together. I definately had a good time and enjoyed spending time with everyone here. I'm hoping we can do this again one day!

We didnt have a chance to pose with everyone, but I took some photos while we getting our tour of everything that Dish Network is offering.

Sorry not the best pictures. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC_0033.JPG
    DSC_0033.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC_0032.JPG
    DSC_0032.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_0038.JPG
    DSC_0038.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0041.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 322
One distubing item was that there seemed to be some reservations on the hook up your own hard drive. They kept mentioning that hard drive failure could result by running an ordinary hard drive 24/7. Almost like they wanted to sell you drives.

It is true that a standard PC hard drive is spec'ed for a 50% duty cycle. When run at 100%, it can lower the mean time between failures to just 25%-33% of spec.

For a 100% duty cycle application, one should use a drive that was designed to be used in a server.

If the DVR doesn't do anything to wake up that external drive, then one that powers down when there is no activity should be fine. As most of the time, it would be off. But if the DVR pings it once in a while, then it will sit out there spinning.

It was great to see everyone, and I was amazed that Charlie and Eric spent as much time with us as they did.

here's the pix I took (Sorry for the large sizes, it's a 6 MP Camera )

Attachments

• PICT0758.JPG
    PICT0758.JPG
    768.4 KB · Views: 237
  • PICT0752.JPG
    PICT0752.JPG
    984 KB · Views: 267
  • PICT0751.JPG
    PICT0751.JPG
    696.5 KB · Views: 261
  • PICT0750.JPG
    PICT0750.JPG
    778.1 KB · Views: 296
  • PICT0749.JPG
    PICT0749.JPG
    850 KB · Views: 295
  • PICT0761.JPG
    PICT0761.JPG
    931 KB · Views: 298
  • PICT0762.JPG
    PICT0762.JPG
    683.2 KB · Views: 267
  • PICT0753.JPG
    PICT0753.JPG
    784 KB · Views: 294
  • PICT0757.JPG
    PICT0757.JPG
    721.4 KB · Views: 281
  • PICT0759.JPG
    PICT0759.JPG
    503.9 KB · Views: 324
  • PICT0760.JPG
    PICT0760.JPG
    756.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 0754.JPG
    0754.JPG
    897 KB · Views: 250
  • 0755.jpg
    0755.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 0756.JPG
    0756.JPG
    538.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 0769.JPG
    0769.JPG
    784.4 KB · Views: 249
  • 07523.JPG
    07523.JPG
    793.6 KB · Views: 243
Ugh, I was blinking in one pic..... :D

Better not let the wife know you got one of her, lol. :)