Your thoughts on Preamp/Processor/Amplifier

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Occabots

Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Well what do u guys think of these ..

they are from sherwoodusa

P-965
Dolby digital EX/DTS ES Tuner/ Preamp/Processor

here is a little info

Our P-965 improves upon the AVP in nearly every way. Crafted from the finest hand-selected components and designed by passionate audio engineers, its impressive decoding capabilities include virtually all of todays best technologies including: DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix; DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital EX and Pro Logic IIx; and Dolby Headphone to name only a few. With a built-in phono section, the ability to Re-Master CD sound to 192 kHz/24-bit, advanced Room-2 functionality; three wide-bandwidth component video inputs for switching Hi Def TV and two remote controls

And then the

A-965
1050 Watt 7 Channel Main Amplifier

The A-965 has the delicacy to limit its Intermodulation Distorion to only 7 parts in 100,000 (0.007% IMD) yet with all channels driven, the A-965 delivers 160 Watts x 7 at any combination of frequencies between 20 Hz and 20 kHz with less than 0.09% THD.

they are each about 1600$ what are your thoughts and if u have any other brands let me know

I'm not an expert but I had a sherwood receiver a few years ago and wasn't impressed. I've used the current lines of Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon. If you can afford it, go with Denon. It's worth it. If on a budget, go with Onkyo. If you have $1700, the Denon AVR-4308 will do most everything you need.

Although not really "REAL HIGH-END" the Sherwood Newcastle P-965 is a very capable and quality item (THIS IS NOT THE "REGULAR" SHERWOOD LINE). I think they fight the "name game" is all. I certainly would hope to find this item at about $1100 - $1250 or so (hit some searches) and don't forget the "Newcastle" part of the name. And be sure to compare with other top lines feature vs price. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo. Not a fan of the new grey color or the remote, but those are aesthetic and not deal-breakers.

Not impressed with Sherwood Newcastle in general. This particular model doesn't have any HDMI inputs. Not very future proof.

S~

Sherwood/Newcastle actually is the OEM for many of the receivers currently on the market. It's been that way for many years. Don't know which companies specifically.

Inkel Corp (formaly Shinbang Electronics Co. Ltd, Haitai Electronics Co , Ltd, ETRONICS Corporation); owns Sherwood, Sherwood Newcastle, Targa, Vatel and Urban Audio Works brand electronics. They are out of Korea and these are standing lines of their own nameplates. Now Inkel is likely the OEM factory: Inkel Corporation was established in 1970 and is the largest audio system manufacturer in South Korea. It merged into Haitai electronics in Nov. 1996. It is involved in the manufacture of semiconductors, communications equipment, computer hardware, software, peripheral equipment and car stereos. It holds over 40% of the domestic hi-fi market. Audio systems and semiconductors accounted for 90% of 1995 unconsolidated revenues; car stereos, 9% and computer parts including cathode ray tube-terminals, computer hardware and software, 1%. The company has consolidated subsidiaries, in South Korea, the United States, the United Kingdom and Germany.

TEACHSAC: This particular line is user selected separate components and if they require HDMI they add the HSB-600 HDMI Link component. If they want everything all bundled in-one they could buy the A/V receiver units as opposed to the separates lines.

That amplifier might be good, but for $1600 I would look at the Integra DTC-9.8 pre-amp/pro. (A guy who owns a Lexicon! recommended it to me.) It will decode the newer high definition formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD HR and DTS-HD MA. Moreover, it will do DSD over HDMI for your SACD's.

Integra Home Theater

If I were just getting separates without concern for high definition audio codecs or HDMI (audio), I would look at the Emotiva MMC1.

Emotiva Audio MMC-1 Audio/Video Processor

Sorry, that Sherwood looks overpriced. If I am going to waste that kind of money I will look to Rotel or Cambridge Audio just so I can say I paid this much. :rolleyes:

Well i am going to have him look at the MC-12 HD Music and Cinema Processor
from lexicon

And the

Integra DTC 9.8 AV Preamp/Processor

I just called him up today and said he has a meeting and is going to see what he could get me ..

I dont know but it will be really good keep throwing things out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts