Your thoughts on the HR Derby?

I'm still in awe of Hamilton. He hit a few Reggie-at-Tiger-Stadium-esque shots.

What was funny - I was explaining to my wife about the "old" vs the "new" Yankee Stadium dimensions, and how Reggie's 3rd HR in the WS went about 1/2-way up the old center field bleachers, and Hamilton then hit one PAST it. Amazing.

Your thoughts on the derby?

Here's mine: The less-deserving guy got lucky.

In watching the first 7 players bat, I really thought that "6" was a decent number and that Grady Sizemore would advance to the second round. That is until Josh Hamilton stepped up to the plate! :eek: He proceeded to belt 28 HR's for an all-time single round record! Simply amazing! I felt for the guy when the entire stadium was chanting his name and the other All-Stars were in amazement. Hamilton put on a great show and this is another great chapter in his personal comeback story.

With that said, I don't like how the 1st & 2nd round HR's are erased and you start over once you go to the 3rd and final round. In essence, you're making everything accomplished in the first 2 rounds completely irrelevant. So, even though Hamilton had 35 total HR's to Morneau's 22, Morneau still won since he had 5 HR's over Hamilton's 3 in the final round.

But in the end, they both played by the rules and Morneau won out in the end. Maybe Hamilton and his 71 year-old pitcher should've conserved some energy for later rounds ;)....

Over the years it seems that the guy who sets the single round record always ends up losing the over all.

Did anyone catch Chase Utley's F* Bomb........

Before a ball is even hit, Chase Utley (2nd baseman for the Phillies) gets booed by the crowd and as clear as a whistle you hear him say, "Boo? F--- you.

Did anyone catch Chase Utley's F* Bomb........

Before a ball is even hit, Chase Utley (2nd baseman for the Phillies) gets booed by the crowd and as clear as a whistle you hear him say, "Boo? F--- you.

YESSIR I DID! I thought..."Nice way to start it off Mr. Squeaky Clean Image Dude!!!!"

I dunno, the more I see and hear about Utley, the more I am turned off by his personality (or lack of one). He's a great player and that is all we can ask. However, I think he's somewhat of a jerk personally.

YESSIR I DID! I thought..."Nice way to start it off Mr. Squeaky Clean Image Dude!!!!"

I dunno, the more I see and hear about Utley, the more I am turned off by his personality (or lack of one). He's a great player and that is all we can ask. However, I think he's somewhat of a jerk personally.

I bet Selig was all worked up when he heard that.

Why was the NY crowd booing Utley anyways? It's not like his Phillies compete against the Yankees nor was he competing against a Yankee in the Derby....

I agree Hamilton had the best night, but Morneau was the most consistent thru the 3 rounds, and did deserve the title. but he said it best in a quote i read in the Minneapolis Paper, it went something like -- I may have won, but no one will remember that, they will remember his 28 home runs --

He's got that right. Should have handed the trophy to Hamilton. He put on a show nobody who seen it will ever forget. WOW! I'd like to send some props to the old guy who threw all those balls to him in the "Derby". I'm 21 yrs. younger, and my arm would have fallen off, after all those pitches. I was just hoping the old guy wouldn't have a coronary.

He's got that right. Should have handed the trophy to Hamilton. He put on a show nobody who seen it will ever forget. WOW! I'd like to send some props to the old guy who threw all those balls to him in the "Derby". I'm 21 yrs. younger, and my arm would have fallen off, after all those pitches. I was just hoping the old guy wouldn't have a coronary.

He probably got an IV and oxygen when he got to the dugout :D

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)