YPbPr

Lucas Cummins

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2021
Missouri
I recently upgraded my DirecTV HR44-500 to the HR-54-500. I notice a glaring difference. The new HR54-500 no longer supports YPbPr. With my old receiver when my DVR would fill up I would sometimes hook up my capture card that’s hooked to my PC into the HR44-500 and use YPbPr on the back of the receiver and run it into the PVR so I could record my shows directly into my PC then transfer the files recorded onto a hard drive for my own personal use. Much like a VCR would do when you’d record from a satellite receiver into a VCR with a VHS tape. Is there still a way I can do this with my new receiver??

sending photos of what the back of my old one looked like and what the new one looks like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1625042088070.png

New vs Old.

Attachments

• 1625042004337.jpeg
    1625042004337.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 220
I recently upgraded my DirecTV HR44-500 to the HR-54-500. I notice a glaring difference. The new HR54-500 no longer supports YPbPr. With my old receiver when my DVR would fill up I would sometimes hook up my capture card that’s hooked to my PC into the HR44-500 and use YPbPr on the back of the receiver and run it into the PVR so I could record my shows directly into my PC then transfer the files recorded onto a hard drive for my own personal use. Much like a VCR would do when you’d record from a satellite receiver into a VCR with a VHS tape. Is there still a way I can do this with my new receiver??

sending photos of what the back of my old one looked like and what the new one looks like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 152465

New vs Old.
The ones with the Green, Blue and red is how I used to hook it to my PC. I need to be able to do this somehow on my new one. I’d I have to buy some sort of converter. I’d need advice on that too. Please

How may I ask is the picture quality in the final result?
*Note-we had the DirecTV branded cable, unsure of one pictured.

We had this cable to an old flat-panel at work because it had issues with the HDMI and HDCP compatibility. I don't know if it was the cable or the television, but it was noisy (if that's the term). The picture seemed like it had lines going through it.

I have a DirecTV branded cable like this sitting next to me. It's new in bag. Did you want to try it out? The price to you today is FREE. I don't need it. PM me an address and I can send it out when I get to the Post Office.

*Note-we had the DirecTV branded cable, unsure of one pictured.

We had this cable to an old flat-panel at work because it had issues with the HDMI and HDCP compatibility. I don't know if it was the cable or the television, but it was noisy (if that's the term). The picture seemed like it had lines going through it.

I have a DirecTV branded cable like this sitting next to me. It's new in bag. Did you want to try it out? The price to you today is FREE. I don't need it. PM me an address and I can send it out when I get to the Post Office.
I think I will try the one from Amazon first and if it does not work I will definitely message you my address and you can send me that one if you would.

I think I will try the one from Amazon first and if it does not work I will definitely message you my address and you can send me that one if you would.
My DVR is currently at 87% free space so I’ve still got quite a bit of space before I need to start taking things off of it. I’m thinking with it being summer and there’s not a lot of TV shows new on but I can wait a few weeks. Maybe end of July I’ll have an answer for you for sure.

My DVR is currently at 87% free space so I’ve still got quite a bit of space before I need to start taking things off of it. I’m thinking with it being summer and there’s not a lot of TV shows new on but I can wait a few weeks. Maybe end of July I’ll have an answer for you for sure.
You have first dibs on it. It's just sitting in a drawer. It doesn't eat much, and it doesn't complain.

You have first dibs on it. It's just sitting in a drawer. It doesn't eat much, and it doesn't complain.
Do you have a way other than here I can contact you? Maybe Twitter? I would like to send you a couple photos of how I used to hook all the stuff up on the other Receiver I upgraded from. That way you can tell me if you’re sure this new way is going to work. When they sent me a new receiver I had no idea that they would send me a different model. Had I known I would’ve just told them to send me the same model again.

I cannot guarantee anything will work. I have no clue if there was any added copy protection added to an HR54 running component verses the HR44 running component. That's above my knowledge, but I can tell you that the component breakaway cable has the Red, Green, Blue that you are looking for. Red hooks to PR, Green to Y and Blue to PB on your capture card. Audio can be the white/red RCA style, or perhaps you used digital out and can still use the optical audio cable.

As for the photos, those might be best posted here. There are tons of people with tons more knowledge that could guide you home. I've never used a PVR before, and I am assuming that the breakout cable would hook up just like the old way. Instead of a component patch with 3 video hookups, it would be 1 mini-DIN out to the 3 hookups.

This is a special Directv cable specifically designed to provide component video outputs. There's a very similr one that gives composite video outputs. Make sure you get the correct one!

Item has been shipped to Lucas Cummins. May the Satellite Gods grant him noiseless, unencrypted signals to his PVR.
The wire worked!! Now to just figure out why my capture device Won’t record anything from my on demand library on my satellite. ‍♂️

Reactions: FTA4PA
The wire worked!! Now to just figure out why my capture device Won’t record anything from my on demand library on my satellite. ‍
That's beyond my understanding, sorry. I don't own or ever have used a capture card.
I'm happy to hear that you have a working output from your receiver though! Hopefully it all comes together for you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: FTA4PA
The wire worked!! Now to just figure out why my capture device Won’t record anything from my on demand library on my satellite. ‍♂️
Likely HDCP related. I have a component connection to a small TV, it will only receive signal when a TV connected to the HDMI port is powered on, to establish the HDCP. Some content will allow analog output, other content may be restricted to not even allow the analog outputs. I haven't followed how this has evolved recently, at one time it was just PPV and HBO, but I think it expanded to all live channels now. On Demand I have no idea, but it could be more restricted than live programs.

Almost certainly an HDCP issue. If you have a TV connected to the HDMI output, but switched off, the DVR will see this as an HDCP failure and so will suppress all the video outputs. Tthree ways to solve this. One, switch the TV on, as jcrandall says. Two, disconnect the HDMI-connected TV. And three, get a powered HDMI splitter. Connect the TV through the splitter. That maintains the HDCP protocol even if the TV is "off". Warning, this does not work with some splitters. Get a splitter that is reported as working. I seem to remember the monoprice ones do. Just read the reviews e.g. on amazon.

Almost certainly an HDCP issue. If you have a TV connected to the HDMI output, but switched off, the DVR will see this as an HDCP failure and so will suppress all the video outputs. Tthree ways to solve this. One, switch the TV on, as jcrandall says. Two, disconnect the HDMI-connected TV. And three, get a powered HDMI splitter. Connect the TV through the splitter. That maintains the HDCP protocol even if the TV is "off". Warning, this does not work with some splitters. Get a splitter that is reported as working. I seem to remember the monoprice ones do. Just read the reviews e.g. on amazon.

HDCP affects Component hookups too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)