Zero Quality Signal--Have tried everything I can

Status
Please reply by conversation.
More Info

My comments in BLUE

Firstly, thank you all again for your time and shared knowledge, all immensely useful. The weather here has turned rather nasty, with thunderstorms last night through the day today. I lost my signal on 97 West, which was at Quality of 99. It has been overcast all day, and more of the same is predicted
for this week (at least cloudwise). Given all that, I might not be able to get much done this week (my signal is still down).

***The signals on the 97W seem to be changing periodically as the engineer's tweak the focus of each transponder, some TP's will increase in strength while other's may drop, it's sort of like a handful of spagetti noodles, they can be misaligned in relation to one another or be neatly aligned. At this point, if they are still playing with the beam focus then we can expect these results and anybodies guess is as good as your's. Many of us guys have had to periodically refocus our dishes and having a motor makes it an easy task. Hopefully the satellite engineer's will get it finalized and all TP's will have equal quality but that could be wishful thinking.

On the other hand, when one earth station (that's your dish) experiences signal drop or loss, it doesn't always mean that your hardware is at fault. As you mentioned, the weather is a huge factor, your local weather can be clear and bright but very nasty at the uplink site where the signals are sent up to the satellite before beaming down. It's a 2 way street so to speak, the downlink signal is no better than the uplink signal, you get what is broadcasting to your dish regardless of clear weather on the downlink side. It can be vise versa also, good on uplink and poor on downlink, let's hope that both are good.***

I want to address what individuals wrote, but first, I want to ask my most important question, in very basic terms. Let's fast forward into the future, and assume I locate SatMex5. What specifically do I do then--do I need to push some button on the remote to "set" this to something? OR, if I find SatMex5, with my motor pointed at zero, am I done? Will USALS automatically know and take me to every other satellite? (Related: how do I get the motor EXACTLY on zero?)

Please give a concrete example. For example: You're on SatMex5, and you want to go to 99 West, you do this and this......

***This is a much deeper subject, briefly stating, if you find Satmex5 you will have fine tuning regardless, it will be much easier if you do lock onto a Quality signal from the sat but if you can't, there is still ways to find it but with the provided TP info given you, you should be able to lock on the HughesNet frequency because it's consistantly strong and present. Some of your questions will be addressed in further replies, read on.***

Related to this, can somebody please explain in simple terms what is happening once I get the motor, at zero degrees, pointed at my True South satellite? What does the system "think" and do?
If I can understand that, I think I will be good to go.

Now to some specifics:
(1) Are we in agreement that I should go for McGuyver's excellent idea of 11739 V 29981 auto (on SatMex5)? Yes you can, it's a strong frequency but you can't scan for channels cuz there are none.
Should I also use Phottoman's TP's? Yes also, these TP's can be scanned
11739 Vertical 29981 SR HughesNet = 69% quality (AZBox receiver reading)
12059 Vertical 3078 SR Televida Abudante = 40% quality (AZBox)
12175 Horizontal 12175 SR BYU TV / Latin America = 34% quality (AZBox)
12024 Horizontal 3000 SR ESNE TV = 29% quality (AZBox)
Thank you both for that information. Ur relcome :D

***The receiver is dumb, it can't do more than what it is programmed for just like a computer. FTA receivers are a computer in many ways, they use a processor also, the info that you input is adjustable and in most cases the receiver cannot compensate for discrepancies if the dish happens to be accidentally bumped out of alignment. I hope to address your multi-questions regarding most or all of the other's comments as well. The motor has an embedded electronic positioning scale which interacts with the receiver, they communicate with one another. When the motor is navigated in any position it can't remember any specific position until you tell it to "save" or "store" that position, once you save a position, the receiver takes note of it's position in relation to the motor's electronic positioning scale, it's all digital data. This is accomplished when you lock onto a quality signal, verifying it's good and you have saved or stored that specific location but in theory I believe as Phottoman has stated, you must first scan in something from the satellite that you're aimed at in order for the receiver to associate all the data, the frequency related to the position that was stored in memory. This data is or should be stored in the receiver's flash rom chip, it's not just your basic memory but it's reprogrammable in the case you fine tune the dish position and save or store the current settings. This is how the operator (you) can readjust the dish/motor positioning settings when needed, it's not permanant as I said.

Furthermore, once a satellite position is stored in memory, you can navigate the motor to another location either manually or by the receivers preset position of another satellite, this is considering you have already preset at least one postion in memory, the manual aspect is no different. This means that when the dish/motor is moved from a stored position and you change channels, the receiver recalls the stored preset position of the satellite in which the channel was scanned and it then automatically navigates the motor back to that digitally stored position according to the motor's electronic scale. Now, if you physically move the motor's position on the pole, the motor cannot compensate, it will always return to the stored (physical) position, the results are that it will now be pointing somewhere else in the sky. This is why when making any physical change of the motor's position on the mounting pole, it requires you to reposition the motor by using the receiver commands and save the new position settings, otherwise if you don't save or store the new position the motor will return to the previously stored position. It's very simple.

Progressing beyond this point after locating your true south sat, it becomes a bit more complicated but don't panic... in most cases it's easy once you get the hang of it. Are we all engineer's? Not all and all memeber's here have their own talents and specialties and lots of experience and someday you'll look back and see how easy it was all along. This stuff is confusing but have faith, you'll learn.

When I had troubles locating my true south sat (SatMex5) and finding a usable TP to lock onto, I had to use the basic "signal strength" meter in the receiver menu, although without a quality signal status as reference, I was able to guesstimate the dish to satellite position by noting the % of SS (signal strength) on the TV screen. Example: my receiver's signal meter indicated about 68% strength when in between (off focus) to ant satellites and once I came in focus (aim) of a satellite the meter signal strength rised to about 70 to 72%, this isn't much but it indicated I was crossing the path of some unknown satellite beam. The receiver cannot identify the TP if it doesn't have a corresponding frequency to identify. In other words, if the TP list in the receiver's TP data doesn't have a frequency that is currently broadcasting a signal, the receiver cannot lock onto that particular satellite, it can only see that there's a signal beam in the vicinity of the dish's sight. This pertains to signal meters as well, the cheap ones cannot identify any particular frequency, the more advanced expensive meters have a greater advantage due to the fact they have a TP data library embedded in the electronics such as a rom chip. They could be called a "smart meter" have you.

So, what I do is aim the dish by navigating the motor to obtain the best position using the receiver's SS meter until I find the center of the beam by noting where the signal drops as I move from east to west, then once I'm satisfied I then use the blind or smart scan feature and scan for live frequencies, the receiver should then and hopefully scan in at least one usable/viewable video channel. And if there is a satellite identifier (info data) in the stream, the receiver (most receiver's) will display the satellite's indentity such as "Locked 116.8°W satellite" or what ever satellite you're pointing at.
If you can accomplish locating satellites using this method, you can then find almost any satellite with the bare minimum information and without any prestored TP data. I've done this many times. If I found the 118.7°W satellite using this method, I would then know that I have to jogg the dish to the east just a bit more to find the 116.8°W satellite. If I moved beyond a bit too much I would then find something east of the 116.8°W sat which indicates I need to go west just a wee bit more and eventually I found what I was seeking.

Blind scan first seeks, searches and documents all broadcasted frequencies then converts the data to TP data that it can scan for channels, that's if the blind scan feature is working as advertised. Some receiver's are quick scanners and can overlook some TP's that are slow to lock signal on. This is when you have to go back, look over what was scanned and review channel lists and TP data to see if there was something it missed. If you already know there's a specific channel you're seeking but it didn't scan in, then you will use the manual TP search mode in the menu. This can be easily done but yet sometimes challenging depending on some variables which I won't go into detail about, not now anyway.

Usals is another mode of positioning that can be used but not always as reliable as the 1.2 Diseqc command feature. USALS is an automated method of navigating the dish and it's first must have a starting point, a stored location as a reference. You have to inform the receiver of your latitude and longitude coordinance so it can then use it's factory stored satellite position info data. If it knows that you are located geographically at let's say 117.8°W longitude, it can then use that as a reference and then seek all other satellites in the arc but it's not always accurate, you may find that it's a bit off scale either due to your physically misaligned dish and/or motor or possibly incorrect longitude coordinace you gave it. I myself always use the 1.2 Diseqc mode because you'll have greater control of the dish. Although, USALS can be useful in the initial setup of seeking the satellites in the arc, it can be an advantage and some prefer it over 1.2 Diseqc. It's a matter of what suits your needs.***

(2) To Phottoman: What exactly does a blind scan do? I thought (assumed) it just scanned every TP, listed or not. You state "Blind scanning that satellite will lock it into your system's memory so that if you are using USALS, the motor will know where it is, and should be able to find other satellites from there."
Can you elaborate on that? Specifically, lets say I do a blind scan on a satellite when I am NOT focused/pointed on that satellite. Have I now confused the system by giving it an incorrect position?
(3) To Radar--thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put into this.

I have been using the analog sat finder exactly the way Conky's video shows. Are you advising I should not bother using it anymore? How else would I know when I am ballpark--just watch the screen?
Regarding posts on the Sonicview, somebody asked if they are new. Yes, the Premier was purchased from GoSatellite, and the Elite from Amazon. None are what are called clones.
Both manufactured July 2009
"Boot loader" 01.00
Main software 02. 07
Radar, thank you for the warning on SonicView. I don't want to give up on it yet, simply because given that I did not know what I am doing, who knows what buttons I hit. I may be to blame. But if I get everything perfect and still have a problem, I will know the reason and get the Coolsat.
That is why my primary question is so important--so that I can understand what is supposed to happen, and what I need to do , once I locate SatMex5
(3B) You mentioned linear vs circular satellites being a factor in whether a 2nd lnb can be added to one dish. How does one know what type of satellite
it is? I don't see any hint in Lyngsat.
(3C) Regarding your advice on line of sight, I can tell you the angle is much less than 25 degrees, so that should not be an issue. Great idea, thank you
for sharing that !

(4) General: When adding a TP manually, how do I know the "FEC"? What is that?
The menu asks for "Frequency, symbol rate, Pol, and FEC"
(5) Out of curiosity, are some or most of you engineers? I am astounded at the depth of knowledge you all have.
(6) Conky--thank you for the pole measuring idea, and the post about hand made inclinometers.
(7) Ironsides--thank you for advising to check the settings on each satellite. I did do that meticulously, having neglected it the first time around.
So in summary, if I can get the basic idea of what happens or should happen after I find SatMex5, I should be good to go. As mentioned, the next few days look to be bad weatherwise, so I may not get a chance to do this for a few days. I will of course post at that time, and feel that given the great advice on TP's on SatMex5, I am determined to nail it.

Thank you again to everybody for your time and efforts in helping me. I am grateful beyond words. And thank you all for your kind words on encouragement.

***You won't usually find too many circular TP's mixed with Linear TP's on the same Lyngsat page of a satellite but you will find them commonly mixed on satellites that are used for broadcasting Dish network and DirecTV signals. Just spend some time reviewing the various satellites on Lyngsat and take note of the polarities shown in the left column. Look at the 110.0°W Dish Network channel list and then look at the 116.8°W list and compare. It will soon make better sense. the diff between the two types of polarities is that the linear are beamed like the cross hairs in a gun sight, the circular polarities are like left and right turn coil springs. The lnb's are designed to see and decode either polarity or some can do both but they cost more $$$. You may never have a need for a circular polarity lnb unless you subscribe to a broadcast service and want to use your dish system for reception of their signals, general FTA satellites are all linear.***

Hope this helps and I'm getting very tired of typing so somebody else can pick it up from here, good luck :D

Satellite Meter or Coolsat 5000

TMB,

Regarding my comment on the generic "meter" satellite signal finders.

Those little satellite meters with the analog needle and scaled tone (if present) are just fine as long as you realize what they are informing you of. There is nothing wrong with using them and they are a really handy tool, so by all means, don't stop using it. But, they are very limited in function as they don't really know what they are looking at, all they know is that there is some signal present. Once you have located a signal with one of these meters, the rest is up to you to determine what that signal is.

Regarding my comments on the Coolsat 5000 and 6000 receivers. I don't intend to suggest that you dump your SonicView 360 and replace it with one of these two receivers.

What I am suggesting is that you obtain one of these at a very cheap price from E-Bay and use it as a "SMART METER".

You see, the Coolsat 5000/6000 receiver is a very versatile tool. If you create or install a "list" of satellites with all the great alignment TPs stored in it, you can use the Coolsat as a "SIGNAL FINDER".

The Coolsat has a really neat feature in which it can not only drive your motor, but it can also display the signal level and quality with a tone generator that gets higher in pitch as the signal quality increases... Beyond this and even more fantastic, is that (with the proper fiormware loaded into the Coolsat) it will actually tell you what sat or TP you are looking at. It has a satellite (or rather a PROVIDER) ID mechanism. This feature can tell you, at a glance, what satellite you are aiming at, before you even scan any channels in.

When I go to set up a FTA satellite system for a friend (or customer if they are paying me), the Coolsat 5000 is one of my tools. It is my satellite signal finder meter.

Not only can I select the TP and Switch parameters that I need to use with a few easy clicks of the remote, but it positions the motor for me, it tells me the signal level and quality and it identifies the satellite or transponder and satellite that I am pointing at.

Now that the Jolly Roger gang has dumped these hackable boxes on the market, you can get them for a song on E-Bay. I have seen and bought extras for spares for around or under $50 with shipping included. The "Jolly Rogers" or those signal pirates don't understand how valuable these receivers truly are to us in FTA.

They are extremely easy to use and they do a lot more than you expect they would. I use a couple just for actually watching TV as well as one for a "signal meter" when aligning a dish.

I hope that you see the reasons why I am suggesting that you look into one of these Coolsat receivers.

RADAR

SCANNING MODES

TMB,

I will just give a brief overview of the scanning modes that I am familiar with. As Phottoman elluded, some receivers refer to the scan modes with slightly different nomenclatures. The principle behind them are generally the same, but some receivers work better for certain scan modes than others.

AUTO SCAN (or SAT SCAN): SCANS one satellite and all the TPs that are currently stored or listed in the receiver under that sat for any new channels. It won't look for new TPs.

MANUAL SCAN (or TP SCAN): Scans one selected TP on one satellite for any new channels.

BLIND SCAN (or POWER SCAN): Scans one satellite for any and all TPs that it can find a signal from and then scans each TP that it finds for new channels.

RADAR

Hey Radar, Do those CS models also have the 1.1 Diseqc mode like my 6100 private?

If so, they are truly a valuable tool and receiver for use with just about any switch on the market and setup configuration when working on various systems. Having 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & USALS expands the applications with using switches.

I love my Coolsat for that reason! :D

If you're using a small signal finder out at the dish, make sure the gain knob isnt turned all the the way up. It should only make a sound when you're on a satellite .....
Correct about not being all the way up, but most people tend to turn the knob to about mid scale rather to where it doesn't beep off sat. On my small meters, I've found the beep isn't that useful. I usually try to use the actual meter instead of the beep, because the meter will show smaller changes than the beep.... usually.

One general comment about the little meters. Along the lines of what Radar said, they are not perfect. THe biggest problem is that they respond to both the linear AND the circular sats, and since the circular sats are much more powerful, they tend to guide you to the DBS sats rather than the one you're looking for. I've often seen them give minimum readings on linear sats near circular sats. They DO help you find the arc, though, particularly when finding your south sat, but they don't tell you what sat you're on, and often can't help much with peaking after you've found the sat.

Something that helped me once I was able to find 1 satellite (which was also 97w)was using some basic math.

I measured the outside diameter of my pipe(in mm to make things easier and more precise) then multiplied by pi(3.14)then divided by 360 to give me a mm/degree number. I made a thin marker line on the pipe where 97w was. Then when I wanted to find a satellite, I would take the degree differece between them (eg 116.8-97=19.8)and multiply that by my mm/degree number to give me x number of millimeters to measure from the sharpie mark I'd made . ...

What you describe here might be true if you were using Azimuths, but the 97 and 116.8 angles are NOT azimuths, and the difference in azimuth between those two sats is NOT going to be 19.8, it will probably be closer to 24, depending on your location relative to the sats, and for sats further apart, the error will be even greater.
That will get you close however, and if instead of the sat longitudes, if the azimuths of the 2 sats are used, then I think this is a good idea.

Found True South Sat - What Next?

TMB,

OK, let's say you have found your "nearest" true south satellite and you now have confirmed that you are on the proper satellite (in your case, SatMex 5).

Next you will need to "peak and tweak" to optimize the signal quality from this satellite. Ensure that your motor is at the "REFERENCE" position before beginning.

You may be required to readjust your:

1] Azimuth angle (east/west position of the entire assembly on the mast)

2] Dish elevation angle

3] LNB polarity angle (CW/CCW rotation of the LNBF in its clamp)

4] LNB focal point (in-out distance from the dish reflector).

5] Check and recheck the signal from several TPs. Ensure to check both Vertical and Horizontal polarity TPs. If there are many available TPs on the satellite, check a V and H TP that are weak, a V and H TP that are mid-range and a V and H TP that are strong in signal as you go. Repeat 1-4 as needed to optimize them all as best you can. If the strong signals lose a little, that is alright if you can bring up the lower strength ones or pull in a few additional TPs in the process. Don't strive for 100% on everything, just get as many TPs as you can that are well above the threshold (if possible).

Now your dish and motor assembly should be calibrated for your "nearest" true south satellite. The next step is going to be to calibrate the entire arc.

Using USALS, select satellites to your east and west and in your set up menus, drive to all of them (one at a time of course) and make a log of which satellites you can actually detect a signal from. Make a log book and notes regarding how far east and west you can detect satellite signals. It is a good idea to plot some rough graphs, that helps. But, don't make any adjustments until you have checked as many satellites as you can steer the motor to. Determine what your tracked arc looks like before making any changes.

Next, pick out the furthest east and furthest west satellites that you can receive and test the alignment. While aimed at one of them, observe the signal quality from a group of TPs on each satellite (like you checked when "peaking and tweaking" on your true south sat). But, don't adjust the dish. Simply stand behind it and grasp the dish reflector and gently pull it up, down, right, left and note which direction improves the signal quality. Repeat for the furthest sat in the opposite direction and make note of the same.

Check some other satellites in-between these furthest east and west satellites and from your notes, see if a pattern exists. Compare your results to the image attached to one of the previous posts (the one regarding the arc tracking errors). I would attach it here, but I am having troubles with my regular PC and that is where the image is stored. It's already been posted and I am sure you noticed it, so no need for me to post it again.

If you find that RE-adjusting your Azimuth and Dish Elevation are necessary, then move your dish back to the reference satellite (true south) and make a very slight adjustment in ONE of the two directions that you think you need to adjust. Then retest your tracking. Keep repeating this process until you have fine tuned it the best you possibly can. This is the most tedious portion of the refinement process to track the arc. So, plan for plenty of time without interruptions and with good weather. When you make an adjustment, ensure that it is just a very small one and ONLY adjust ONE axis (azimuth or elevation) at a time.

This is a refined calibration process and it takes a good deal of time. To get my satellite as refined as I have it now, I have actually worked on it over the course of a couple of years. That may sound extreme, but I have also been uprooting my entire setup and relocating it for a better LOS, changing dishes and LNBFs and motors. So I have had to start over numerous times. You probably won't do such things.

I often take my system apart to try a new motor or LNBF or a different dish just to experiment with so that I can evaluate it and pass the information onto others and learn for myself what advantages or disadvantages there are with a new component.

In all honesty, you have to consider this entire endeavor as a "hobby". If you just want to watch TV and don't have the muster for all that is involved, you might not like FTA. But, it does become addictive and if you really desire to know what is really going on, it will absorb you and your mind will become a sponge that just has to and wants to absorb everything out there! It's a lot of fun because it never ends, there is always something new to learn or try or watch! It definitely never gets boring! :)

When you asked if any of us were engineers... Well, Einstein was considered a ner-do-well in school, considered a lazy daydreamer by his instructors and finally dropped out. They wouldn't let him into the universities, so he became a clerk at a patent office (a job set up for him by his father), where he wrote his first thesis on the theory of relativity. So what do you think? :D

RADAR

Last edited:
Hey Radar, Do those CS models also have the 1.1 Diseqc mode like my 6100 private?

If so, they are truly a valuable tool and receiver for use with just about any switch on the market and setup configuration when working on various systems. Having 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 & USALS expands the applications with using switches.

I love my Coolsat for that reason! :D

McGuyver,

Yes, they sure do! With the most recent version of FTA firmware this selection is there for certain.

RADAR

Thank you for all your advice, your hours of typing and effort

Thank you for all your advice, your hours of typing and effort. I am truly grateful and humbled. Everything you posted has been read and re-read, and will continue to be. The weather here is still overcast so I cannot even get a fixed signal, so I will have to wait it out. I will get back to it once the weather clears and report back. I do feel that with all the answers above, I should be able to get it done.

Thank you all again for the many hours of sweat, and for sharing with me your valuable knowledge

Motor madness, and Multi LNB's revisited

Well, I am starting to come around to Radar's conclusion that the SonicView is malfunctioning. On Sunday night the TV was on, and a thunderstorm hit, at which time the signal vanished. Naturally, I attributed this to the weather. It has been overcast until tonight, at which time the signal did NOT return, despite the clear skies. So I ventured to the roof, and lo and behold, the motor had turned 20 degrees to the east. I was shocked, given that nobody was touching anything, and the channel was fixed, when the signal went out. So it seems Radar is correct about the SonicView being faulty.

Given that is the case, let me slightly rephrase a question that Radar answered earlier about multi-Lnb's, since previously I asked it about 2 nearby satellites (99W and 97 W). In general, can I add one more additional LNB's to a fixed, rigid bar, add a switch, and get more than one satellite? My research on this indicates all those other satellite signals are hitting the dish, and bouncing off on the other side to which they hit. I understand Radar's answer about 97W and 99W being to close to attach another nearby LNB. But what about 2 other satellites that are further apart? Could I do what that man in the Youtube video did, or are the signals from non-center satellites just too weak?

I will at some point get a used Coolsat as Radar suggests, but for now, I will take some downtime from motorization. I will get back t it, having come this far, with another receiver.

Thank you again all and I will post back once I can locate an inexpensive Coolsat. If I can attach multiple LNB's, I might just go that route and be done with it.

On a 90cm dish, you can probably get satellites 4 degrees apart as long as you don't have bulky LNBs. On a 76cm dish, I can't get closer than 6 degrees. (Well, I have one pair set up for 4 anyway, but the signal isn't great.)

How far out from the center you can go depends on how big your dish is, how good your LNBs are, and also how strong the satellites are. The strength of the satellites will vary depending on where you are.

If you want to go the fixed dish route, you will probably want to put up more than one dish. You might be able to get a 15-20 degree maximum spread on one dish (for example, from 83W to MAYBE 101W or 103W), but you can't get close to receiving the entire arc on one dish. A T-90 Toroidal dish will get you about a 40 degree spread, but I wouldn't recommend one of those for someone just starting out, as they can be difficult to set up and aim.

Well, I am starting to come around to Radar's conclusion that the SonicView is malfunctioning. On Sunday night the TV was on, and a thunderstorm hit, at which time the signal vanished. Naturally, I attributed this to the weather. It has been overcast until tonight, at which time the signal did NOT return, despite the clear skies. So I ventured to the roof, and lo and behold, the motor had turned 20 degrees to the east. I was shocked, given that nobody was touching anything, and the channel was fixed, when the signal went out. So it seems Radar is correct about the SonicView being faulty.

The motor moving 20° off is really strange. I hadn't witnessed my SV do anything quite like that, but then again, I retired the SV rather quickly and went back to my Coolsat so I never sat down and tried to watch anything with it. The most perplexing and annoying symptoms I observed were when I was trying to set up and scan the satellites. I would be on 97°W and scan it, then try to go to 123°W and it would move in the wrong direction and go to another satellite location. It actually didn't go to some arbitrary or random position, it went to a legitimate satellite location, albeit the wrong one!

Given that is the case, let me slightly rephrase a question that Radar answered earlier about multi-Lnb's, since previously I asked it about 2 nearby satellites (99W and 97 W). In general, can I add one more additional LNB's to a fixed, rigid bar, add a switch, and get more than one satellite? My research on this indicates all those other satellite signals are hitting the dish, and bouncing off on the other side to which they hit. I understand Radar's answer about 97W and 99W being to close to attach another nearby LNB. But what about 2 other satellites that are further apart? Could I do what that man in the Youtube video did, or are the signals from non-center satellites just too weak?

Yes, you could do that with consideration being given to the LNBF parameters and dish size/gain etc. I haven't attempted this personally, but many have and obtained good results. It would require some particular measurements, some creative engineering for the bracket and critical selection of the proper components to use. It has been accomplished many times, but since the dishes and LNBF brackets are not usually manufactured for this purpose, you have to basically engineer it mostly on your own. There are some factory made - ready to use stuff out there for at least a double LNBF set up... See below.

I will at some point get a used Coolsat as Radar suggests, but for now, I will take some downtime from motorization. I will get back t it, having come this far, with another receiver.

Thank you again all and I will post back once I can locate an inexpensive Coolsat. If I can attach multiple LNB's, I might just go that route and be done with it.

For something to ponder, take a look at GloryStar's satellite package deals (http://www.glorystar.tv). They have prefab systems that would get you Galaxy 19 @ 97.0°W and AMC 4 @ 101.0°W on one dish. You might even ponder their PVR receiver (although I think they require an external HDD to use the PVR).

I have been looking at their equipment recently. I have a friend who may be highly interested in their programming and the setup. On their site, they state that you do not have to limit yourself to just their channels (you may program their receiver to receive all the stuff available on these two sats). It sounds like a really nice deal. Very reasonably priced in my opinion and lots of variations available.

Even though I believe that you would be much better off in the long run with a motorized system, you should still take a look at what GloryStar offers. They are one of our Gold Sponsor's listed in the banner at the top of the page.

RADAR

Last edited:
The fact that your motor is moving at all causes me concern. I am concerned because you seem to have missed a very important point.

Your motor. On every satellite. At this point. Should be disabled. The motor indicator on the bottom of the motor should read zero.

You are trying to aim the center motor position at the center of the arc in the sky. Your motor shouldn't move off zero until then because your motor should be off.

In my opinion you don't need angle finders, meters or new receivers. You do need a small tv found for free on freecycle or cheap on craigslist that you can bring along with your sonicview up on the roof. I have a black and white set that is about 7 inches just for this purpose and its the best $5 I ever spent.

I wish you lived closer. I'd happily come over and give you a hand. I know how tough aiming can be sometimes.

The fact that your motor is moving at all causes me concern. I am concerned because you seem to have missed a very important point.

Your motor. On every satellite. At this point. Should be disabled. The motor indicator on the bottom of the motor should read zero.

You are trying to aim the center motor position at the center of the arc in the sky. Your motor shouldn't move off zero until then because your motor should be off.

In my opinion you don't need angle finders, meters or new receivers. You do need a small tv found for free on freecycle or cheap on craigslist that you can bring along with your sonicview up on the roof. I have a black and white set that is about 7 inches just for this purpose and its the best $5 I ever spent.

I wish you lived closer. I'd happily come over and give you a hand. I know how tough aiming can be sometimes.

Avg1joe,

I am certain that TryingMyBest is well aware of the notion of having the motor set at the reference position when seeking out the nearest true south satellite. The problem was that his true south sat was being rather ellusive. He did manage to pick up on 97 and 99, though. This was good since it at least informed us that the equipment was functional for reception.

Also, somewhere along the way in this fun project, I think we have mentioned using a portable TV right at the dish for gaining immediate feedback from the adjustments that are made. Didn't we? Or was that in another thread? This should be another one of the hard and fast rules for FTA... Just like ensuring that the mast is plumb. Any procedure or tool(s) which streamline the process and elliminate problems with the setup should definitely be promoted as gospel.

Not intending to go off on too wild of a tangent with the subject of the portable TV, there is one recommendation that I would make about the use of a B&W vs a color set, there are many STB's that highlight the menu selections chosen in colors that don't show up very well in B&W. I am sure that you have found this out yourself. I was using one at one time (for some reason) and I had a heck of a time discerning what option was highlighted on the screen. So, I recommend a color TV.

Another discussion of the portable TV would be the type of moinitor that it is (i.e. CRT vs LCD). Although the LCD types will be much lighter to carry around, the CRTs will provide a much higher luminous intensity and may be better for viewing outdoors. Otherwise, you might need a LCD monitor with a high intensity display which may cost more. It does become difficult to see either in the outdoor sunlight. A shadow box is sometimes very helpful, but sometimes just as much of a pain if there is much of a breeze.

In either case (CRT or LCD) it is better than relying upon the TV set inside the house and a relay team for the information. You absolutely need that direct feedback of the signal changes to tell you what if you are moving the dish or motor in the right or wrong direction.

The real problem in my eyes is the SonicView 360's operation in regards to motor control. Knowing what I do from my own personal experience, it is not a receiver that I would recommend to use to align a dish and motor. It was difficult enough to get it to work with an already aligned system. I couldn't imagine how troublesome it would be to set up a dish and motor with one. At least the SV that I have has some major problems in this area. My brother tested it on his system and he found the same results... very bad! So, I didn't want to sit by and allow TMB to experience that frustration if the problem was inherent to this specific model receiver and hadn't been corrected.

I managed to get my SV 360 to play ball (albeit poorly) by using DisEqC 1.2 instead of USALS, but the experience was much too painful to discuss. :(

RADAR

Thank you--final 2 questions

Thank you Jim S, Tron, Radar, and AvgJoe, for your helpful input on multi LNB's. I would like to note that I have learned a tremendous amount through my beginners questions from everybody here. All the suggestions everybody has made have been helpful and contributed immensely to my joy of this hobby. Forgive me if I don't mention you all by name. I understand what needs to be done now, and have already looked on Craigs for a cheap TV. I can see how important that is.

Can I please wrap this up with 2 last questions:
[1] I know I asked this before , but don't understand the answer. Lets Fast forward: I have found in the future SatMex5 (true South), with motor aligned on zero. Then what do I do?

Specifically, on the USALS menu, I see the following
==>STORE POSITION
==> GO TO REFERENCE
==> GO TO SATELLITE

Which do I choose? In general, how do I let USALS and the receiver know that , hey, finally, we are on the True South Satellite?

[1B} And then what? Lets say I want the motor to move to 97 west from SatMex5? Do I simply choose a channel from 97 West, and the motor goes there automatically? Or do I have to go into the menu setup and choose "go to satellite"?

[2} Regarding multi LNB's, can you please clarify the underlined quote references below
Jim S and Radar say: "How good your LNBs are" ; "quality of your LNB"

What exactly should I be looking for in an LNB for this specific purpose (namely, to use as a multi LNB in case I cant get the motor to work properly)?

Free Christian Satellite Television - No Monthly Fees from Glorystar Christian Satellite!
I checked here, and they have good material regarding specifications that I found useful. Thank you for the link

I want to reiterate that I have learned an immense amount from all the kind people here. Thank you again for your knowledge, time, and efforts. I don't want to hog the forum or take up more time, as I feel at this point I have a really solid footing and now it is really up to me. I have no doubt at all I will get this to work with or without the SonicView. If I can get these last 2 questions answered (especially the first), I will be grateful.

I really could never have done it, or come this far, without you all. I am grateful and humbled.

Assuming your dish is correctly aligned on the arc (you found and aligned on your true south satellite), then all that is needed is to set up each satellite that you want to receive using USALS. You should only have to enter your latitude and longitude once. After that, each time you select a satellite that you have set with USALS enabled on it, the dish will automatically move to where it should be to receive that satellite. If you're channel surfing, when you change to a channel on a different satellite, the motor will move to that satellite and tune in that channel without you having to do anything further... Well, you will have to wait while the motor moves there before the channel comes in ;) ... That is one advantage of using multiple satellite dishes or LNBFs on one dish instead of a motor. Channel changing is nearly instantaneous, no waiting for the motor to move.

As for LNBFs on a fixed dish, most will work adequately. In multiple satellite on one dish situations, the most important thing to look for in a LNBF is size. The smaller it is, the closer you can place two of them, which affects your ability to see adjacent satellites.

Satellites two degrees apart (for example, 97W and 99W) are impossible to get on a single dish (well, maybe not entirely IMPOSSIBLE, but for the purposes of this thread, they're impossible to get together). This is because of the physical size of the LNBF. Four degrees is usually doable, with two smaller-diameter LNBFs right next to each other. The GeoSatPro Bullet LNBFs work well for this. So, size would probably be the most important factor when adding multiple LNBFs to a single dish.

Thank you Jim S, Tron, Radar, and AvgJoe, for your helpful input on multi LNB's. I would like to note that I have learned a tremendous amount through my beginners questions from everybody here. All the suggestions everybody has made have been helpful and contributed immensely to my joy of this hobby. Forgive me if I don't mention you all by name. I understand what needs to be done now, and have already looked on Craigs for a cheap TV. I can see how important that is.

You are most welcome TMB! If I may speak for the others, allow me to say thanks to you for offering us a great opportunity to troubleshoot and work along with you in this excercise. You may not realize it, but your specific cause is a great asset to other new FTA members as they can just follow along for the ride and learn as well. Everyone learns when we get down and concentrate on a project like this. So, you must understand that this thread is not only valuable to you, but to others, including myself, who learn as we go along in this endeavor. :)

Can I please wrap this up with 2 last questions:

[1] I know I asked this before , but don't understand the answer. Lets Fast forward: I have found in the future SatMex5 (true South), with motor aligned on zero. Then what do I do?

Specifically, on the USALS menu, I see the following
==>STORE POSITION
==> GO TO REFERENCE
==> GO TO SATELLITE

Which do I choose? In general, how do I let USALS and the receiver know that , hey, finally, we are on the True South Satellite?

OK. First of all the "STORE POSITION" is not a function of USALS motor control. That may be an indication that the SV designers didn't have a clue about how either motor control mode functions (DiSEqC 1.2 or USALS). The "STORE POSITION" is a feature associated with the simple DiSEqC 1.2 motor positioning commands. It is totally unnecessary and mute when using USALS.

The "Go TO REFERENCE " and the "Go TO SATELLITE" commands are redundant at this point, since your motor is already at both - they will be the same position at this time, if you followed all the instructions up to this point. You should have already positioned the motor to the zero degree or home position before you started and you should have manually (physically) positioned the dish and motor assembly to aim at your nearest true south sat (here it would be SatMex 5). So, there is no point in telling or commanding the receiver to go where it already is... I guess we need a command like "Sit, Stay"! :)

Because of the strange responses that I have observed with the SV 360, I wouldn't ever touch these commands. You might just cause more confusion for the receiver (i.e. "I am already here, why are you asking me to do all these weird things?")

What you DO need to do at this point is go into the scan menus and scan the satellite and the transponder that you have dialed in. All you need is for ONE channel to be logged in, then you are set. Of course, you will want to scan all the transponders and the entire satellite eventually, but only one channel is required.

Allow me to retrace my steps just a bit and explain one item. The receiver has two modes (viewing mode and teaching mode). Many, most or all the satellites should be included in the "teach mode" list, but none of them will be shown in the "viewing mode" list until you have scanned the satellite for channels and actually logged at least one channel in. Once the sat has been scanned and you have detected "A" channel, then that satellite will appear in the "viewing mode" list.

This is all that you are required to do when using USALS. If you are using DiSEqC 1.2 motor control, then the "STORE POSITION" could possibly be applicable. It would definitely be applicable for all the other satellites, but since SatMex 5 would already be located at your reference position, you may not be required to "STORE" that position since it is already a stored position (being the reference position). Hence, if you tell the motor to go to the reference or go to the satellite positon at this point, they are one in the same, so there should (theoretically) be no need to store a new position for this particular satellite. I hope that you can follow this logic, it seems more difficult to explain it then what it is in reality.

Summary: Once you have found your true south sat, all you need to do is scan in at least one channel. That's it.

[1B} And then what? Lets say I want the motor to move to 97 west from SatMex5? Do I simply choose a channel from 97 West, and the motor goes there automatically? Yep, that will be about the size of it when you are all done. Or do I have to go into the menu setup and choose "go to satellite"?

At the very start, your list of satellites and transponders won't have any channels logged into them. They will all be blank slates. Therefore, you will have to go into the setup menus and select the LNB type and frequency and any switch parameters you need to set and tell it that you are using USALS or DiSEqC 1.2 to position the motor. If you select USALS, and command the receiver to command the motor to "GO TO SATELLITE" it is supposed to drive the motor to the precise position of that satellite (using SatMex 5 as a reference point). Just like traveling. If I know where Omaha, NE is, I can find my way to Council Bluffs, IA from there.

If you have all your angles set properly (plumb mast, azimuth centered, dish elevation set properly, LNBF polarization correct (zero degrees for a motoized system) and the focal position set correctly (distance of the LNBF from the reflector), then you should immediately detect a signal from 97.0°W and all you would need to do is scan it for channels. Same for all other satellites.

Of course, it doesn't work this way in reality as nothing is perfect and that is why you need to calibrate the dish and motor to the arc. This is probably the most difficult task. Unless you get lucky and have everything set perfect right off the bat. You CAN manage this if your equipment helps you along the way. Most equipment is not as refined in angle markings as that, so we all usually have to do a little work to compensate and fine tune everything.

Once you have logged in a channel (at least one channel) on several other satellites, then you can remain in the "viewing mode" and simply switch from channel to channel and the receiver will drive the motor to the satellite that the channel is on automaticially. But, remember, there has to be at least one channel scanned in on each satellite in order for it to operate this way.

[2} Regarding multi LNB's, can you please clarify the underlined quote references below Jim S and Radar say: "How good your LNBs are" ; "quality of your LNB"

What exactly should I be looking for in an LNB for this specific purpose (namely, to use as a multi LNB in case I cant get the motor to work properly)?

There are several parameters to be concerned with. First of all, physical size and weight and cost. These are the the easy and obvious things to look for and identify. Smaller and lighter and less expensive is what we want, but the electrical parameters are much more important than this.

So what are the electrical parameters that we need to look for?

1] TYPE/Style (i.e Ku, Ka, C band / linear, circular, standard, universal, etc)
2] L.O. (local oscillator) frequency
3] Gain (amplification)
4] NF or Noise Figure (inherent noise produced)
5] Stability (quality over temperature and other environmental conditions)
6] Rejection (how much interference from other sources it can handle or ignore without reducing the signal from the desired source)

Items 5 and 6 are not usually mentioned on most retail sites. But, they are important if you really want to be a stickler.

Free Christian Satellite Television - No Monthly Fees from Glorystar Christian Satellite!
I checked here, and they have good material regarding specifications that I found useful. Thank you for the link

Check out all the pages on this site as they have lots of useful information. You might also want to thank Brian Gohl for a lot of the information in the receiver and installation manuals which are provided there.

I want to reiterate that I have learned an immense amount from all the kind people here. Thank you again for your knowledge, time, and efforts. I don't want to hog the forum or take up more time, as I feel at this point I have a really solid footing and now it is really up to me. I have no doubt at all I will get this to work with or without the SonicView. If I can get these last 2 questions answered (especially the first), I will be grateful.

I really could never have done it, or come this far, without you all. I am grateful and humbled.

de nada chico! :)

Keep in mind that others are learning along with you (and I), so this is a great thread for everyone's benefit. And, from me, I find it a great deal of fun! We all want you to succeed and get to the point where you can really be proud of your system and setup! You will definitely enjoy it! :cool:

RADAR

Last edited:
TMB,

I may have to recant a portion of my last reply to you. Regarding your very first question about "STORE POSITION" I want you to read what Brian Gohl from Satellite AV states in this thread...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/209132-uasls-vs-diseqc.html

It's about the 4th or 5th post into the discussion.

I was unaware that this was an option, but it evidentally is and therefore, I stand corrected on this issue.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)