Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch ???'s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
I'm moving my Satellite equipment around today, Just wondering if anyone has one of these outside? Or if it has to be inside. And also if 100' is the maximum between the Dish and receivers using this multiswitch?

I've had one "semi-outside" for "about" 8 months now with no problems. In order to use the existing runs and grounding from the initial DirecTV install "I'm lazy) I purchased a 11MDEGYS (Large Outdoor Cable Demark Box, Gray) from HomeTech Solutions (Enclosure Boxes - HomeTech Solutions) and mounted it to my house next to an existing cable box which was too small to gut and use to house the WB68. I then ran cables from the grounding block to the multi-switch inside the box and from there out to my IRDs. The box seals tight but I went ahead and silicon sealed all the edged and gaps. We live in Ohio and this setup has made it through fall rains, winter snows, and the spring down pours with no issues yet. I check the silicon seals occasionally but they seem to be holding fine (although I'm not an expert on the properties of silicon sealant, contraction due to the cold this winter didn't appear to have cracked anything...not sure if it would but in addition to being lazy I'm a touch paranoid). The setup looks professional and performance has been good.

I have 2 outside. Indoors would be better, but in my case it wasn't practicle. Many have runs longer than 100ft , but there can be power issues with longer runs.

When I needed to get a second one my installer was going to mount it outside under the eaves. I asked him to put it inside for easier access. So I guess outside is OK.

I think I'm going to mount it in the shed. I have one more ?? Is it better to put the multiswitch closer to the receivers as possible? Or if I mount it close to the Dish, would it make any difference? I'm thinking of putting the Dish on the Shed, with the multiswitch in the shed,About 8 feet apart. Then the Multiswitch to the receivers would be about 50 for 2 receivers 75 feet for 1 and about 90 feet to my last receiver ,which is an SD receiver. Is this an OK setup?

It is designed to be outside. But make sure you keep any un-used ports capped off.

Absolutely, do NOT use 75ohm termination caps.
Thats what I thought! On the 3X4 Multi-switch is the ONLY one your aloud to use 75 OHM caps. 4X4,4X8,6X8,and 6X16 DO NOT USE 75 OHM Caps. Will cause satellite receivers imput to short out. This Causes system malfunction and overheating of terminators.

Since your going to be indoors just use the plastic. If used outdooors some like to use the metal caps with the resistor puled out. This is due to the plastic breaking down over time outdoors.

It does say in the install manual that WB68s must be protected from rain and other liquids, but lots of people seem to use them outside. How long they will last, nobody knows, however.

It does say in the install manual that WB68s must be protected from rain and other liquids, but lots of people seem to use them outside. How long they will last, nobody knows, however.
I put mine outside anyway!. Its covered on top ,just not the sides. So I guess we will see what happends!

Well the book cover says Indoor/Outdoor use.. but the book inside says to shield it from water rain and elements oO

I usually just made my ground block outside and installed the MS in the attic or crawl space, but if I did leave it outside it was installed with terminators with the stinger taken out and weather boots. Never had any issues with it, cept the stupid 4x8 powered MS :(

It says in the directions not to use metal caps.
We have always used the plastic caps with any multi switches we have outside. No problems at all. They may breakdown over a period of YEARS, but nothing that has caused me a prob.

I've had one "semi-outside" for "about" 8 months now with no problems. In order to use the existing runs and grounding from the initial DirecTV install "I'm lazy) I purchased a 11MDEGYS (Large Outdoor Cable Demark Box, Gray) from HomeTech Solutions (Enclosure Boxes - HomeTech Solutions) and mounted it to my house next to an existing cable box which was too small to gut and use to house the WB68. I then ran cables from the grounding block to the multi-switch inside the box and from there out to my IRDs. The box seals tight but I went ahead and silicon sealed all the edged and gaps. We live in Ohio and this setup has made it through fall rains, winter snows, and the spring down pours with no issues yet. I check the silicon seals occasionally but they seem to be holding fine (although I'm not an expert on the properties of silicon sealant, contraction due to the cold this winter didn't appear to have cracked anything...not sure if it would but in addition to being lazy I'm a touch paranoid). The setup looks professional and performance has been good.

Sorry to hijack but I just wanted to say thanks to krmatth for the info on the Demark box. I've been looking for one for my new construction house and that is perfect. Thanks a ton for the info and link.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)