ZvBox Dish Receiver Compatibility?

classithings

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
The recently announced "ZvBox" available for $499 preorder on Amazon has the awesome potential to make HD content from multiple sources including internet available to all HDTVs in a house by using existing coax tv wiring. Detailed info is at home | ZeeVee, Inc.

Does anyone know if this device will be compatible with existing Dish Network receivers such as the Vip622? If not, I (and others) will probably switch back to cable. Dish has talked about updating the 722 to include certain Sling features, but I do not know if Dish intends to offer all the capabilities of the ZvBox. Inquiring minds want to know......

FROM ENGADGET:
"ZeeVee's ZvBox streams your PC to your HDTV over coax
by Darren Murph, posted May 1st 2008 at 7:00AM

Startup ZeeVee isn't out to flood the market with yet another ho hum media streamer, it's out to change the way you look at 'em. The June-bound ZvBox ($499) plugs into one's computer (VGA) and sends on-screen content to every TV in the house over existing coaxial cabling. Put simply, the unit enables users to view any kind of internet media right on their television with no subscription fees or wireless dropouts. Aside from bringing internet video over, users can also access any other computer application (web browser, built-in DVD player, etc.) right from their set. In order to handle said tasks, the box comes bundled with a wireless ZvRemote / Zviewer, but those comfortable with managing their own desktop won't be bothered with any fancy interfaces. Suffice to say, those looking to easily pipe their Media PC recordings to the family TV will certainly find reason to take notice. Put simply, the ZvBox ports your computer desktop to every HDTV in your house by creating its own channel (RF) that is picked up by the tuner packed within your set(s). Here's a few tidbits to clarify how the thing actually works:

PC's content piped through VGA, which is then sent through coaxial cabling to every TV in your home

-VGA pass-through ensures your PC monitor continues to operate normally
-Audio (including Dolby Digital 5.1) is inputted via USB
-No equipment is needed at the TV end for reception; all signals are received from the TV's QAM-capable internal tuner
-Users can opt to view their unadulterated desktop
-Otherwise, the Zviewer lays out customizable launch icons to take you directly to Netflix, Hulu, ABC.com, YouTube, MOJO, KoldCast or any other destination you choose

-Users have total control of their PC from their television; watching back PVR recordings, playing DVDs, viewing photos, etc. is all possible
-ZvBox possesses no fan, thus there's no noise
-ZvRemote controls volume / channels, has built-in touchpad for interfacing with PC
-Optional ZvKeyboard coming this summer (no price disclosed)
-Shipments will begin in June, consumers can pre-order exclusively from Amazon beforehand

Quite honestly, this looks like the device to bridge the gap between living room TVs and internet / OTA-accessible content. Rather than being locked into material available on a number of other STBs, the ZvBox is only limited by the amount of content accessible via the web, your computer's DVD player and your PC-based OTA TV tuner. Needless to say, that's an awful lot of media. We'll be getting our hands on one and giving you the rundown just as soon as we can."

I'm not 100% sure on this so somebody feel free to correct me but I don't think that any of the Dish HD boxes will work with this unit. It sends out its signal via QAM and none of the recent Dish HD boxes have a QAM tuner built into them. All of the recent Dish HD boxes have ATSC tuners that I don't think can tune in on a QAM signal. This is not something that Dish could support with a software update either this is something that would have to be changed in hardware to support. So if you want to use this as a Dish subscriber you'd have to hook it into your TV via coaxial and switch between the inputs on your TV set when you want to use it versus Dish programming.

i think he is talking about working as in, hooking a dish receiver into this to have it shared across your house via existing coax. I think there is a way to modify a ViP receiver (one you own of course, not a lease) to pipe it into a PC which could then be piped out by this, but I have no clue (not even sure if such things should be talked about here). Another option would be something like this product ( Hauppauge Computer Works Online Store- Hardware ) which would allow you to do component in to your PC.

This seems like a very interesting device...

Content Crisis Solution

Yes, Hendrix04, I want to use a Vip622 with ZvBox, but without modifing the Vip622 - rather by using the 622's OTA connection capability. The ZeeVee site mentions that the ZvBox "might" be compatible with satellite receivers that have an OTA connection capability - which I believe the 622 has. But I don't know if that OTA is the same type that the ZvBox requires.

For my tastes, interesting Dish satellite CONTENT is sparse even though I subscribe to "everything." My bill without PPV and sports is over $140 a month. I find myself looking at more and more internet streaming content on the computer - the Metropolitan Opera recently streamed a live opera over the internet. Dish has eliminated VOOM which had several channels I watched. Now GALLERY is gone; GALLERY would broadcast one opera each week. Discovery HD Theatre content is a joke - I can go outside and watch a different sunrise LIVE each morning. I apologize for my "content crisis" rant. In summary, I am looking for a way to watch both Dish Network content and Internet streaming content on all my coax connected televisions. I do enjoy some of the Dish HD programming, but I also want to watch Internet content on the same televisions.
i think he is talking about working as in, hooking a dish receiver into this to have it shared across your house via existing coax... This seems like a very interesting device...

I think my 2nd option of the Hauppauge HD input would work for you if you dont mind dishing out the cash.

would the new d-link be easier to handle those tasks

D-Link's no stranger to HD streaming, and the outfit is proving that it's still got game by announcing the Coax Ethernet Adapter Kit. The Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA)-certified package consists of two DXN-220 adapters, each of which boast coaxial F-type connectors and an Ethernet port meant to give internet / network access to various rooms without worry over wireless connections flaking out on you. As you can tell, this one was designed to expand home networks without requiring any additional wiring (if you're pre-wired for cable, that is), and being that it operates in the 800MHz to 1,500MHz range, there won't be any interference with cable TV transmissions or the like. The DXN-221 kit -- which includes a pair of the aforementioned adapters -- will be available in Q3 for $199.99, while individual adapters can be purchased for $109.99 apiece.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)