vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
20GB PS3 officially discontinued in North America

20GB PS3 officially discontinued in North America

[UPDATE] After the $499 edition of the next-gen console is removed from the Sony Style Web site, Sony confirms the console is being phased out.

By Tor Thorsen, Emma Boyes, GameSpot Posted Apr 11, 2007 4:17 am PT

This week, speculation spiked that the 20GB version of the PlayStation 3 was on its way out. It came after the official Sony Style online store removed the "basic" model of the PlayStation 3 from its Web site. Today, the US online stores of Amazon.com, Best Buy, GameStop, EB Games, and Circuit City were also longer listing the 20GB model, which retails for $499.

[UPDATE] As it turns out, there was a good reason for the 20GB PS3 vanishing--it's being officially phased out. "Initial retail demand in North America was upwards of 90 percent in favor of the 60GB [PS3], so we manufactured and shipped-in accordingly," said Dave Karraker, Sony Computer Entertainment America's senior director of PR. "Due to the overwhelming demand for the 60GB model from both retailers and consumers, we have ceased offering the 20GB model here in North America." The 60GB model retails for $599 in the US.

The 20GB model of the console has a number of differences from the 60GB version aside from the size of the internal hard drive and lower price. These include the lack of Wi-Fi connectivity, multiple flash memory card readers, and chrome trim. "Based on retailer and consumer feedback, we have decided to focus our current efforts on the more popular 60GB model," Karraker told GameSpot.

The discontinuation of the 20GB PS3 in North America also throws doubt over the model's launch in Europe, Australia, and other territories, where currently only the 60GB version is available. The budget version was originally expected to arrive sometime in the "summer," although no hard date was ever set. "We'll continue to monitor demand for the 20GB model, from a consumer and retailer perspective...which will be factored into any future Euro launch plans," a Sony Computer Entertainment Europe spokesperson told GameSpot UK. Both versions of the PS3 will continue to be available in Japan.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168876.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatured

Last edited:
Sony has lost its' mojo. Motorstorm has gotten mediocre reviews. The only other game they can brag about is Resistance. All other must have games are available on the 360..... As is a world class online system (1 GB Oblivion Shivering Isles downloaded in 10 minutes for me over my 30MB connection).

Plus, the fact that the majority of PS3 buyers were either speculators looking to cash in on supply imbalances or people looking for a cheaper BluRay player...

They are in a world of hurt.....

Sony may launch PS3 with larger hard disk capacity

In the very brief period when I considered getting a PS3 and going 'format neutral', I looked into the 20GB model, as I knew I'd never use it for anything but playing movies. Never could find one, and then I regained my senses - no DVD upconversion, to get the HD audio I'd have to upgrade my a/v receiver to HDMI.

You guys should be pleased you got your Sony subsidized BD player when you did. With them already dropping the less expensive 20GB model, today's announcements sounds like an excuse to me to jack up the price even higher -

Tue Apr 17, 6:25 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp said on Tuesday it is considering launching PlayStation 3 (PS3) game consoles with larger hard disk drive capacity. Sony currently offers the basic version of the PS3 with a 20-gigabyte hard disk drive and an advanced model with a 60-gigabyte drive in North America and Japan, but it plans to discontinue the lower-capacity PS3 in North America.

Fukuoka said, however, that potential changes to the PS3 are not limited to its hard disk drive capacity. "We are not likely to change its core components and functions such as the Cell, RSX, Blu-ray drive and network capability. But outside that realm, addition and deletion is quite possible," he said.

The advanced functions have driven up PS3's manufacturing costs, and Sony's game unit is estimated to have made a loss of more than $1.7 billion for the year ended March 31, making the game console the biggest risk factor for Sony's earnings growth.

The 80 GB version probably will not have the PS2 compatibility chips in it. I suspect that Sony will release the 80GB version for the same price or lower than the PS3 60 and discontinue the PS3 60.

20GB disk size extra probably costs a buck or 2 now. My current thought is that the 80GB version will be $499 by the end of the year if not sooner, and the only version available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)