2011 AL Central Thread

Anyone in the Detroit area want to go the the day games or
Game let me know. I know a guy who works for a local sports station here who has some he can't use. Face value plus the fees to transfer.

Anyone in the Detroit area want to go the the day games or
Game let me know. I know a guy who works for a local sports station here who has some he can't use. Face value plus the fees to transfer.

Just curious, what are face value prices for them and where are they ?

I can't make it as I have to work and have a funeral to go to on Thursday.

Tigers looking for a catcher, 2B; will say good-bye to Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Guillen

I can't say I'm surprised with any of the early off-season moves. Saying farewell to Maggs is bitter-sweet...sad to see him go, but he's no longer the same player; happy to see Brad "Meathead" Penny packing his bags; sad to see that Zumaya probably won't be earning another major league paycheck.

Source

In a nearly hourlong session with the local media this afternoon, Detroit Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski gave these reports on past, present and perhaps future Tigers:

• Rightfielder Magglio Ordoñez and second baseman Carlos Guillen: It is “very unlikely” the Tigers will try to re-sign either. Both are free agents.

• Joel Zumaya: The oft-injured reliever becomes a free agent this week. If he comes to spring training with the Tigers in February, it likely will be on a minor league deal, Dombrowski said.

• Jose Reyes: Without mentioning his name, Dombrowski in effect ruled out the Tigers pursuing the free-agent shortstop. One reason: the Tigers have their two $20-million players -- Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander -- and Dombrowski doesn’t see a third. It’s not hard to imagine the bidding for Reyes going to $20 million per year.

• Delmon Young: Dombrowski sees him returning to leftfield on a one-year deal. Young is eligible for salary arbitration this off-season and for free agency after next season. Dombrowski said he doesn’t anticipate trying to sign Young to a multiyear deal this off-season. The club wants to see more of Young, who joined the Tigers for the final 1 1/2 months of the regular season.

• Victor Martinez: He will be the full-time designated hitter to cut down on the risk of injury. The Tigers will seek a right-handed-hitting catcher to serve as Alex Avila's backup.

• Brandon Inge: Dombrowski sees him on the club next season, the final year of his contract. Inge’s role is to be determined.

• Ramon Santiago: Dombrowski said the Tigers would like to have the veteran utility man back, though the club doesn’t see him as the full-time second baseman. Santiago is a free agent.

• The Tigers continue to have an opening at second base. Dombrowski stopped short of saying the Tigers “need” to acquire one, but he indicated the position is the No. 1 off-season priority. He also said the club is open to acquiring a third baseman, but he expressed confidence that Inge and Don Kelly could platoon there.

• Brad Penny: The free-agent right-hander isn’t expected back.

• Jacob Turner: He’s a candidate for the spot in the rotation that opens with Penny’s departure. But Dombrowski didn’t hand him the job.

• Phil Coke: He’s the No. 1 left-handed reliever. No more experiments as a starter.

I can't say I'm surprised with any of the early off-season moves. Saying farewell to Maggs is bitter-sweet...sad to see him go, but he's no longer the same player; happy to see Brad "Meathead" Penny packing his bags; sad to see that Zumaya probably won't be earning another major league paycheck.

Source

In a nearly hourlong session with the local media this afternoon, Detroit Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski gave these reports on past, present and perhaps future Tigers:

• Rightfielder Magglio Ordoñez and second baseman Carlos Guillen: It is “very unlikely” the Tigers will try to re-sign either. Both are free agents.

• Joel Zumaya: The oft-injured reliever becomes a free agent this week. If he comes to spring training with the Tigers in February, it likely will be on a minor league deal, Dombrowski said.

• Jose Reyes: Without mentioning his name, Dombrowski in effect ruled out the Tigers pursuing the free-agent shortstop. One reason: the Tigers have their two $20-million players -- Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander -- and Dombrowski doesn’t see a third. It’s not hard to imagine the bidding for Reyes going to $20 million per year.

• Delmon Young: Dombrowski sees him returning to leftfield on a one-year deal. Young is eligible for salary arbitration this off-season and for free agency after next season. Dombrowski said he doesn’t anticipate trying to sign Young to a multiyear deal this off-season. The club wants to see more of Young, who joined the Tigers for the final 1 1/2 months of the regular season.

• Victor Martinez: He will be the full-time designated hitter to cut down on the risk of injury. The Tigers will seek a right-handed-hitting catcher to serve as Alex Avila's backup.

• Brandon Inge: Dombrowski sees him on the club next season, the final year of his contract. Inge’s role is to be determined.

• Ramon Santiago: Dombrowski said the Tigers would like to have the veteran utility man back, though the club doesn’t see him as the full-time second baseman. Santiago is a free agent.

• The Tigers continue to have an opening at second base. Dombrowski stopped short of saying the Tigers “need” to acquire one, but he indicated the position is the No. 1 off-season priority. He also said the club is open to acquiring a third baseman, but he expressed confidence that Inge and Don Kelly could platoon there.

• Brad Penny: The free-agent right-hander isn’t expected back.

• Jacob Turner: He’s a candidate for the spot in the rotation that opens with Penny’s departure. But Dombrowski didn’t hand him the job.

• Phil Coke: He’s the No. 1 left-handed reliever. No more experiments as a starter.

Well, I'm liking EVERYTHING I'm hearing here, so far.
I think Zumaya will come to camp and hopefully win a job, he seems to come to camp feeling good and strong and pitches well.

Well, I'm liking EVERYTHING I'm hearing here, so far.
I think Zumaya will come to camp and hopefully win a job, he seems to come to camp feeling good and strong and pitches well.

I agree but I didn't hear what, if anything, they were going to do with Betemit. He played well for the Tigers in the final weeks of the season...but disappeared in the post-season.

I agree but I didn't hear what, if anything, they were going to do with Betemit. He played well for the Tigers in the final weeks of the season...but disappeared in the post-season.

Tigers will be in need of 3/4 of an infield soon, so they better get some guys lined up or make some trades.
Inge is 34, Santiago is 32, I didn't realize that Peralta is only 29, thats good.
Cabrera is still young at 28.

As far as getting Reyes .... Dombrowski may say Not Interested now, but he works very quietly, no one heard about it when Cabrera came aboard till it happened.

Reyes if they can keep him happy would be a GREAT addition.
You could put him at SS and LEAD OFF and move Peralta to 2B and you've solved two positions with one move.
Then you could drop Jackson down to # 9 in the order and that would take a lot of pressure off him and have SPEED at the bottom of the order.

Dombrowski mentioned not wanting 3 20M guys, well they were close last year, they had Verlander, Cabrera and Maggs was making 18M.
They are getting rid of Maggs contract, Reyes could slide right in there, IF he's willing to go LESS than 20M it might be something that can do.

Maybe Verlander would once again give up some money to get another star player, he did that once already.

Just a prediction. I have a feeling they make a solid run at ramirez from the cubs. That leaves getting a 5th starter( was not impressed with turner, just don't think he's ready) and of course fixing the bullpen.

As far as getting Reyes .... Dombrowski may say Not Interested now, but he works very quietly, no one heard about it when Cabrera came aboard till it happened.

Reyes if they can keep him happy would be a GREAT addition.
You could put him at SS and LEAD OFF and move Peralta to 2B and you've solved two positions with one move.
Then you could drop Jackson down to # 9 in the order and that would take a lot of pressure off him and have SPEED at the bottom of the order.

Dombrowski mentioned not wanting 3 20M guys, well they were close last year, they had Verlander, Cabrera and Maggs was making 18M.
They are getting rid of Maggs contract, Reyes could slide right in there, IF he's willing to go LESS than 20M it might be something that can do.

Maybe Verlander would once again give up some money to get another star player, he did that once already.

I dont really see them making big money splurges they are also paying defferd money to former players, including Gary Sheiffield!, in regard to Verlander this is a year his pay bumps up to the 20 million mark, not sure this year he would give up money. If they can make some moves to shore up the pen a bit and some solid second base I would be happy. 3rd base? do we see some platooning?

satjay said:
I dont really see them making big money splurges they are also paying defferd money to former players, including Gary Sheiffield!, in regard to Verlander this is a year his pay bumps up to the 20 million mark, not sure this year he would give up money. If they can make some moves to shore up the pen a bit and some solid second base I would be happy. 3rd base? do we see some platooning?

As for 3b, yes, I could see plattoning there, unless they can pick up someone better ...

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)