2011 NCAA Tournament

Nice try. SOS and RPI are based on the quality of the opponents a team plays.

They were high because the teams in the Big East were perceived to be better then they were. Yes they had to lose to fellow Big East teams, but once again with 11 teams in the tourney they had to meet sometime. I'm not trying to say anything here except that they did not deserve to have that many teams in. And if some of the RANTERS on here want to consider this a rant so be it. I read their posts all the time and accept them as their opinions. All I am doing is stating mine.

2. So much for that scary Zone defense that no one knows how to attack, huh Syracuse?

2 things about this comment. (1) Syracuse's zone defense was not the issue. They held Marquette to 41% shoot. So the 'Cuses zone was fine. What beat Syracuse is the fact that they could not get a hold of the ball. They had a ton of turnovers that killed them and lead to a 14 additional points due to turnovers. (2) Marquette is ...are you ready? A BIG EAST team.... so there IS familiarity with the way Syracuse runs their offense and defense.

....so seeing that those factors did come in play when it came to your comments leads me to believe you did not watch the game.

They were high because the teams in the Big East were perceived to be better then they were. Yes they had to lose to fellow Big East teams, but once again with 11 teams in the tourney they had to meet sometime. I'm not trying to say anything here except that they did not deserve to have that many teams in. And if some of the RANTERS on here want to consider this a rant so be it. I read their posts all the time and accept them as their opinions. All I am doing is stating mine.

Then it's YOUR opinion they were overrated. State is as such, not as perceived fact. In my opinion, no other conference had more deserving teams...and neither did all that cover or watch college basketball. Hell, most in here agreed.

"I told you so" merit only when said BEFORE something happens, not after.

1. It figures one of the extra play-in games would screw up the brackets. Damn VCU! Wow, those ESPN guys who ranted about VCU making the tournament over St Mary's/Virginia Tech really look stupid now. VCU looks like a GOOD TEAM.

2. So much for that scary Zone defense that no one knows how to attack, huh Syracuse? Bad luck that the Orange had to play a Big East foe so early.

3. THE Ohio State. Wow. Most dominating team so far. Yesterday against George Mason was a statement to the rest of the world. This team can beat you inside or out. Pick your poison. Sullinger/Lauderdale or Diebler/Lighty. Next up: Little Blue. They do look good, but there is a long way to go yet.

4. A foul's a foul Pitt. Whether in the first second or last second. No complaining. What a roller coaster of emotions those last few seconds were. Wow. Gracious interview by the Butler coach following the game. He gave Pitt all the credit in the world. Was Pitt complaining? If so, I didn't hear it. I'll tell you who was NOT so gracious...Shelvin Mack, the Butler player who commited the first stupid foul in the last two seconds. Standing at the foul line jawing with the Pitt shooter while the officials were looking at replays to determine how much time was left was just cheap. Save that crap for the playground.

5. Still can't get used to Barkley and the TNT crew broadcasting for CBS. I miss the sane commentary of Greg Gumble and Clark Kellog over the marble mouth Barkley. Did he lose his voice yesterday? Maybe CBS should scroll subtitles. I couldn't understand a word he said. I thought Smith and Barkley added a welcome amount of candor and fun to the studio. And how about Reggie Miller and Steve Kerr adding NBA-level analysis to the games they covered? They were both outstanding in how they broke down the games they did, and they proved you do not have to live and breathe college basketball all year to know what you're talking about come tournament time.

6. 9 of 11 Big East Teams wiped out after one weekend. Wowzers! Yeah, you have to remember two of the 11 were knocked out by Big East teams themselves, but it was still an overall disappointing showing. Teams like St John's, Notre Dame and Georgetown were totally outclassed.

7. I don't want to hear anything about how the ACC is underrated. Duke and UNC damn well should've lost. Those games could've gone either way at the end. Well, you either win or lose...and they won. Would've, should've and could've is the mantra of losers in sports.

8. My goodness that kid from BYU can shoot! Imagine how good BYU would be if they didn't lose the other kid for a french kiss infraction. I told you about Jimmer! The kid's a scoring machine.

9. When was the last time a Tom Izzo coached team got beat in the first round? I can't remember. No clue.

10. Well, the right side of the bracket is officially busted besides Kansas. You can't help but to cheer for a repeat run for Butler the rest of the way. For an Ohio, guy, perhaps. Me, I'm rooting for San Diego State, VCU, and the Big East teams.

Sandra

Last edited:
1. It figures one of the extra play-in games would screw up the brackets. Damn VCU! Wow, those ESPN guys who ranted about VCU making the tournament over St Mary's/Virginia Tech really look stupid now. VCU looks like a GOOD TEAM.

2. So much for that scary Zone defense that no one knows how to attack, huh Syracuse? Bad luck that the Orange had to play a Big East foe so early.

3. THE Ohio State. Wow. Most dominating team so far. Yesterday against George Mason was a statement to the rest of the world. This team can beat you inside or out. Pick your poison. Sullinger/Lauderdale or Diebler/Lighty. Next up: Little Blue. They do look good, but there is a long way to go yet.

4. A foul's a foul Pitt. Whether in the first second or last second. No complaining. What a roller coaster of emotions those last few seconds were. Wow. Gracious interview by the Butler coach following the game. He gave Pitt all the credit in the world. Was Pitt complaining? If so, I didn't hear it. I'll tell you who was NOT so gracious...Shelvin Mack, the Butler player who commited the first stupid foul in the last two seconds. Standing at the foul line jawing with the shooter while the officials were looking at replays to determine how much time was left? Cheap. Save that crap for the playground.

5. Still can't get used to Barkley and the TNT crew broadcasting for CBS. I miss the sane commentary of Greg Gumble and Clark Kellog over the marble mouth Barkley. Did he lose his voice yesterday? Maybe CBS should scroll subtitles. I couldn't understand a word he said. I thought Smith and Barkley added a welcome amount of candor and fun to the studio. And how about Reggie Miller and Steve Kerr adding NBA-level analysis to the games they covered? They were both outstanding in how they broke down the games they did, and they proved you do not have to live and breathe college basketball all year to know what you're talking about come tournament time.

6. 9 of 11 Big East Teams wiped out after one weekend. Wowzers! Yeah, you have to remember two of the 11 were knocked out by Big East teams themselves, but it was still an overall disappointing showing. Teams like St John's, Notre Dame and Georgetown were totally outclassed.

7. I don't want to hear anything about how the ACC is underrated. Duke and UNC damn well should've lost. Those games could've gone either way at the end. Well, you either win or lose...and they won. Would've, should've and could've is the mantra of losers in sports.

8. My goodness that kid from BYU can shoot! Imagine how good BYU would be if they didn't lose the other kid for a french kiss infraction. I told you about Jimmer! The kid's a scoring machine.

9. When was the last time a Tom Izzo coached team got beat in the first round? I can't remember. No clue.

10. Well, the right side of the bracket is officially busted besides Kansas. You can't help but to cheer for a repeat run for Butler the rest of the way. For an Ohio, guy, perhaps. Me, I'm rooting for San Diego State, VCU, and the Big East teams.

Sandra

good points.

1. It figures one of the extra play-in games would screw up the brackets. Damn VCU!

2. So much for that scary Zone defense that no one knows how to attack, huh Syracuse?

3. THE Ohio State. Wow. Most dominating team so far. Yesterday against George Mason was a statement to the rest of the world. This team can beat you inside or out. Pick your poison. Sullinger/Lauderdale or Diebler/Lighty. Next up: Little Blue.

4. A foul's a foul Pitt. Whether in the first second or last second. No complaining. What a roller coaster of emotions those last few seconds were. Wow. Gracious interview by the Butler coach following the game. He gave Pitt all the credit in the world.

5. Still can't get used to Barkley and the TNT crew broadcasting for CBS. I miss the sane commentary of Greg Gumble and Clark Kellog over the marble mouth Barkley. Did he lose his voice yesterday? Maybe CBS should scroll subtitles. I couldn't understand a word he said.

6. 9 of 11 Big East Teams wiped out after one weekend. Wowzers!

7. I don't want to hear anything about how the ACC is underrated. Duke and UNC damn well should've lost. Those games could've gone either way at the end.

8. My goodness that kid from BYU can shoot! Imagine how good BYU would be if they didn't lose the other kid for a french kiss infraction.

9. When was the last time a Tom Izzo coached team got beat in the first round? I can't remember.

10. Well, the right side of the bracket is officially busted besides Kansas. You can't help but to cheer for a repeat run for Butler the rest of the way.

11. Jake Odum from Indiana State. Remember that name. Syracuse was too good for the Sycamores, but this freshman point guard made some passes that had to be seen to be believed. Definitely channeling his inner Larry Bird/Pete Maravich. Bears watching going forward.

12. Ending of Arizona/Texas was also bizarre, with the missed shot by Derrick Williams, the five second call, etc. And I thought it was strange how the Texas point guard brought the ball up SO slowly with like ten seconds left in the game. It's no wonder they had no time to put back a rebound.

13. San Diego State/Temple game...wow. But Kawhi Leonard (along with Derrick Williams) saw his NBA stock drop somewhat this weekend. Luckily they both have time to make up for it.

14. How about Richmond, Virginia, with two teams (Richmond and VCU) in the sweet 16!

15. Oh my goodness did you see when they showed the Morehead State coach's 11 year old daughter, sitting at the end of their bench, lower her head and start crying at the end of their loss to Richmond? So heartbreaking.

16. Perhaps Frank Martin, the Kansas State coach, is the nicest guy in the world...but on TV he comes across as a jerk. His comments after his team beat Utah State about his team playing like 'a joke' and being 'lucky', without mentioning the other team having something to do with their problems, were unnecessary. He is an easy guy to root against, as is Jacob Pullen. Both of them always have such a sourpuss on their face.

17. Wow, four DD's in the sweet 16!

18. I"m starting to believe in this Butler team again.

19. BYU/Gonzaga was such a fun game to watch. I still think Gonzaga is an awesome team, but when Jimmer is on there is not much you can do about it.

20. It's not so bad now because you can switch from game to game, but later in the tournament, when there is only one game to watch, the amount and length of the timeouts are going to make it difficult to stay connected to the game. The 'official' timeouts seem to go on forever, the halftimes are much longer than they are during the regular season, and they go away for at least two commercials during EVERY 30 second timeout. Not sure how that math works, but eventually this is going to become noticeable.

Sandra

Last edited:
Hmmm, not too much talk about UConn. I know they are very young, but Kemba Walker is a scoring machine. If one of the freshman stays hot, they could make it to the FF.

You're funny.

I'm not trying to make SOS and RPI the be-all and end-all of statistics, but they are derived from opponents won/loss statistics. They aren't popularity contests, so I don't know why you keep throwing the word 'perceived' into the argument.

Play and beat good teams, your SOS and RPI rankings will get better.

I am NOT a fan of CBS putting all these games on separate stations.

What CBS USED to do compared to the NFL's Red-Zone Channel. It was engauging and you got the height of each game on one station. Now we're expected to know when to tune to some soap opera channel (along with TBS and TNT) and where to find it in the guide?

What a disaster. I absolutely hate this. Put them all back on CBS and do the game-changing for me. I can't handle it on my own.

Nice try. SOS and RPI are based on the quality of the opponents a team plays. It has nothing to do with "being overrated". Also, don't forget that two of the BE teams eliminated in the last round were beaten by fellow conference members. Obviously, a BE team has to lose those games. I guess playing each other so early is a necessity when so many deserving teams get in...

Villanova making it was an absolute joke, just because they play in the "mighty" Big East.

SandraC said:
...or as Charles Barkley likes to call it...the Itty Bitty East!

He totally made a fool out of that smarmy bastard Rick Pitino, great to watch.

What CBS USED to do compared to the NFL's Red-Zone Channel. It was engauging and you got the height of each game on one station. Now we're expected to know when to tune to some soap opera channel (along with TBS and TNT) and where to find it in the guide?

What a disaster. I absolutely hate this. Put them all back on CBS and do the game-changing for me. I can't handle it on my own.

LOL well to each his (or her!) own, but personally I totally disagree with this. Putting the games on four different channels gave me a chance to decide for myself what I want to watch. In my mind, here are the advantages:

1. The staggered start of game times, where you never had more than one game winding down at the same time. When it was only CBS, they grouped the games into blocks. Now the games start all different times. This year it's been rare when two games are even in the second half at the same time, let alone both games winding down to the finish together.

2. No commercials! Or as little as possible anyway. When it was just CBS, no matter how many times they switched games, they always made sure they got their commercials in. When you control the clicker, if at least one game has live action, you can watch it.

3. It doesn't matter to me what channels the games are on, as long as they're in HD. With DirecTV you can log any channel into your favorite list, and with a couple of quick touches you can go back and forth between up to any nine channels VERY easliy.

4. With all the scores at the top of the screen all the time, you always know what game you should change to. You can switch away from one game that goes to a timeout with 3:45 left in the game, go to another game, and keep an eye on the clock of the game that is winding down to see when it starts again...then switch back. This maximizes the actual live basketball you watch.

5. I also like that there is a channel dedicated to every game. I could watch the end of Kansas State/Utah State, so I was able to see the season end for the Utah State seniors and also watch to see my cousin on the floor at the end of the game, without CBS bouncing me out to some more meaningful game. THAT'S what was meaningful to me at the time, and I was able to see it.

Sandra

Last edited:
He totally made a fool out of that smarmy bastard Rick Pitino, great to watch.

Meh...I don't think Barkley made a fool out of him. Pitino has to defend his conference...what else is he going to say in that situation?

The Big East could still wind up having the last laugh if UConn wins the championship.

Sandra

I love it. I can not watch whole games without being taken away.

LOL well to each his (or her!) own, but personally I totally disagree with this. Putting the games on four different channels gave me a chance to decide for myself what I want to watch. In my mind, here are the advantages:

1. The staggered start of game times, where you never had more than one game winding down at the same time. When it was only CBS, they grouped the games into blocks. Now the games start all different times. This year it's been rare when two games are even in the second half at the same time, let alone both games winding down to the finish together.

2. No commercials! Or as little as possible anyway. When it was just CBS, no matter how many times they switched games, they always made sure they got their commercials in. When you control the clicker, if at least one game has live action, you can watch it.

3. It doesn't matter to me what channels the games are on, as long as they're in HD. With DirecTV you can log any channel into your favorite list, and with a couple of quick touches you can go back and forth between up to any nine channels VERY easliy.

4. With all the scores at the top of the screen all the time, you always know what game you should change to. You can switch away from one game that goes to a timeout with 3:45 left in the game, go to another game, and keep an eye on the clock of the game that is winding down to see when it starts again...then switch back. This maximizes the actual live basketball you watch.

5. I also like that there is a channel dedicated to every game. I could watch the end of Kansas State/Utah State, so I was able to see the season end for the Utah State seniors and also watch to see my cousin on the floor at the end of the game, without CBS bouncing me out to some more meaningful game. THAT'S what was meaningful to me at the time, and I was able to see it.

Sandra

:up

The little bit I watched of it so far, I LIKE the games on different stations like it is, you can see YOUR game all the way thru.

Now, if CBS wants to do cut aways to other games, like they use to, thats fine, don't have a problem with it.

Fwiw, on D* you've got CBS in it's normal location (locally) and the other channels are all in the same area 245-249, I think it works great for bouncing around if your not into a particular game.

I for one like it. I love having the power to change to whichever game I want to watch instead of having someone else do it for me.

I for one like it. I love having the power to change to whichever game I want to watch instead of having someone else do it for me.

I get what you're saying, but without having the ability to watch 4 games at once like the studios, how do we know when is a good time to change over? I fell like I'm missing out on some excitement this year.

NCAA Football OffSeason 2014

MLB to Barstool?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts