4K TV Coming to DIRECTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I see 4K being a flop. Everyone is just looking for the next big thing after HD. IMO their is no such thing.

This has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read in my entire life.

There is about 2 million pixels in a 1080p TV.

So on a 20" Screen, it looks great, on a 32" screen, it looks nice, but once you go over a certain size, say 40", you can start noticing the pixels more.

Because you only have 2 million pixels to work with, so the bigger you go, the more your stretching out the picture.

Now when HD flat panels 1st came out, 51" was considered huge.

However today they make TV's over 100" in size....

...and with a TV that huge, the PQ is horrible unless you sit a long ways from it.

So Ultra HD has 4 times the pixels, 8 MILLION.

This will make for a MUCH nicer picture.

The only issue with 4K is that it comes with a cost, unless Directv can find a new compression method, more satellite will need to be launched, and a dish with more LNB's will need to be made.

To call UHDTV "a flop" is silly.

That would be like calling HD "a flop".

And so it begins... 4k hate just like 3D hate from the same people... I've seen 4K and was impressed, the demos on the floor at CES didn't do it justice, you had to wait in line and go inside to see the good stuff. Sony had a set with surround sound that rocked!
Its not hate, It lets finish something we started common sence!

Their Receivers are so buggy still after all these years, and yet now I bet 4K will require some other buggy software Update or another version of a buggy HR.
We don't even have 1080p programming that isn't on demand or PPV

Its not hate. Its Directv being "Jack of all trades master of none"! Lets Spend money on something new instead of fixing the old.

Last edited:

The only issue with 4K is that it comes with a cost, unless Directv can find a new compression method, more satellite will need to be launched, and a dish with more LNB's will need to be made.

To call UHDTV "a flop" is silly.

That would be like calling HD "a flop".
If people can't afford it, things don't take off. Thats a flop.

Whats the ratio of HD subscribers Vs SD Subscribers? keep in mind HD has been around over 10 years

So on a 20" Screen, it looks great, on a 32" screen, it looks nice, but once you go over a certain size, say 40", you can start noticing the pixels more.

".
No this has to be the Dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life.

I suggest you get a better TV if you think your 20" PQ is better then your 40".

Because you only have 2 million pixels to work with, so the bigger you go, the more your stretching out the picture.

Now when HD flat panels 1st came out, 51" was considered huge.

However today they make TV's over 100" in size....

".
Yea they are called projectors.

And the 1 LED thats currently made that know one owns or can fit in their living room ,doesn't have me convinced 4K tv are going to fly off the shelves.

Also Voom, was HD Satellite, Where are they now? DEAD cause people couldn't afford to pay for HD Flat screens at the time where expensive, and most of all only a frcton of Networks were even in HD back then. So how many do you think will be 4K within the next 5 years. I bet ESPN thats it!

You're with the wrong provider if you ever think your getting 4k, so not really sure why you are even in this thread.

Eventually 4K TV will be become mainstream, but only when the vastly majority of US households have displays on their Living Room/Media Room of 100 inches or more. That is going to be years from now.
Years from now when the vast majority of homes double in size?

Voom failed because of a money issue, nothing to do with the availability of HDTVs or their price.
Where do you think VOOM got their money from. And I'm not Talking about VOOM when Dish Bought them.

I'm Talking about VOOM the HD Satellite Service Provider.
They failed do to lack of subscribers, Lack of HD programming available, and NO one wanted to pay Over a $2000 for an HD TV.

I paid $1100 for a 32" sony Trinitron thats wasn't even HD in 2002.

Then I paid $1700 for a Mitsubishi 48 Rear Projection that weighed 200 LBS, .

And Like now No one wants to pay $4000 on Ultra HD TV , when their current tvs are just fine as they are.

Where do you think VOOM got their money from. And I'm not Talking about VOOM when Dish Bought them.

I'm Talking about VOOM the HD Satellite Service Provider.
They failed do to lack of subscribers, Lack of HD programming available, and NO one wanted to pay Over a $2000 for an HD TV.

I paid $1100 for a 32" sony Trinitron thats wasn't even HD in 2002.

Then I paid $1700 for a Mitsubishi 48 Rear Projection that weighed 200 LBS, .

And Like now No one wants to pay $4000 on Ultra HD TV , when their current tvs are just fine as they are.

Got me thinking ....
Back in '91 I bought a 27" Sony XBR (that was all the bigger they were back then) for $ 1200.
Local cable company came out to turn service on, showed me a crappy signal on many channels, went out to work on it, came back 1/2 hour later and wasn't any better ... told me thats the best they could do and left ....
So did I, thats the last I had cable, for a day or so .... then went to BUD TV and have had Sat of some sort ever since.

Mattzane,

There is no such animal as uncompressed HD. Uncompressed 1080p is 62+ Million pixels per second. Blu Ray tops out at about 36-40 million bits per second and that is the highest bitstream HD device available. Standard HDTV broadcast's (1080i) bitstream is about 17 Million bits per second, and if all that bandwidth is used for one HDTV broadcast the PQ is quite good.

4K TVs are about $25,000 at the Sony Store......the PS4 will do 4K........DirecTV wants a 4K TV channel.......so this is good news for like the less than 100 people who own 4K

It's all about bragging rights and sales ammunition. "D has 4K and "E" doesn't. "D" has 3D and "E" doesn't. "D" has the NFL Package and "E" doesn't. We all know it really doesn't matter in the real world (except for the NFL package , but all a salesman has to say is "future proof". Most people understand that concept.

It's all about bragging rights and sales ammunition. "D has 4K and "E" doesn't. "D" has 3D and "E" doesn't. "D" has the NFL Package and "E" doesn't. We all know it really doesn't matter in the real world (except for the NFL package , but all a salesman has to say is "future proof". Most people understand that concept.
Yep, Even if Directv compresses 4k so much that it looks worse then 2k they can still run around Bragging they have 4k offerings.;)

Now put that Genie girl back up.

She looks a lot better then the 3 fat HOPPA guys LOL! :p

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts