722, keep it or send it back ... ?

Discussion in 'DISH Network Support Forum' started by wormil, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wormil

wormil Topic StarterSatelliteGuys Family

The other day our 722 receiver was making noise, sounded like the hard drive running constantly, and the next morning it was DOA. I tried rebooting and unplugging for a minute, didn't work. Called tech support, they had me do some troubleshooting, no-go. They ship me a replacement. My wife comes home, plugs it in and for 3 days now it's working fine and quieter than it's ever been. Considering what a PITA it is reprogram the DVR, I'm thinking I'll keep it and send the replacement back. Thoughts or advice?

2. navychop

navychopMember of the Month - July 2014!
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I doubt it'll be good for long. But the replacement may not be much better. Those HDDs are aging. I expect their supply of new ones ran out years ago.

Whichever one you keep, once it goes- look at a Hopper. Or whatever is new on the street then.

3. wormil

I asked about a hopper and they wanted $150 + $7 month. I pay too much already.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

crodrules and TheKrell like this.
  4. fmj77

fmj77Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member

My 722 was always noisy but it worked perfectly for years until I bought a new Sony Bravia 4K TV. The 722 did not behave well with the new TV. Constantly rebooting and resetting itself. I ended up having to downgrade to a 612, which due to different software than the 722, works fine with my Bravia.

crodrules likes this.
  5. TheKrell

TheKrellA mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
    Pub Member / Supporter

I had the fan fail on my 1st 722. It sporadically put up a plain screen saying it was too hot, and refused to do anything. Have you seen any of those messages? I went to Micro Center, bought a suitable fan for $9, and (since I own this receiver) fixed that problem myself. That fix lasted for 3 or 4 more years and then it developed a bizarre channel authorization problem. DIRT replaced the receiver for me, and the 2nd 722 has been good for years more.

If you do decide to replace it, which I recommend, I'd suggest doing these two things:
    1. Get an EHD and move all the programs on the internal disk to external so that you'll have them to watch on your replacement receiver.
    2. Go to http://dishanywhere.com and make a paper copy of your timers so that you'll know what you had before.

crodrules likes this.
  6. navychop

navychopMember of the Month - July 2014!
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And when the next failure occurs, the Hopper may well be cheaper. Or DIRT might help lower the price.

7. wormil

No error messages at all. The 722 has always been noisy, but it got extra noisy for about 24 hours and I woke up to a black screen no error message. I rebooted, unplugged, etc. But it's quieter now than it's ever been.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

8. DWS44

DWS44SatelliteGuys Pro
    Supporting Founder

Didn't the 722s backup timers to the remote as well? I thought we had that before the Hoppers. Maybe just on 722K?

9. dare2be

dare2beSatelliteGuys God
    Lifetime Supporter

Just the 722K I believe.

TheKrell and DWS44 like this.
  10. Bobby

BobbyPublican
    Supporting Founder

This is correct.

11. wormil

According to the email I have 30 days to return the defective unit so I'm going to wait a few more days and see what happens. In the meantime I'll back recordings up to an external drive and print out a list of dvr timers.

12. crodrules

crodrulesSatelliteGuys Pro

I have had this happen several times before. (The old receiver started working again before I got the replacement.) Each time, I sent the replacement back to Dish and kept using the old receiver. I agree with you about it being a pain to set up a new receiver from scratch.

If you keep using the old receiver until it completely dies, Dish may be offering a better replacement receiver by then. I had a ViP211 (non-k) die and start working again, so I sent the replacement ViP211 (non-k) back. When this ViP211 died the second time, many years later, I got a ViP211k as the replacement. :)

13. crodrules

crodrulesSatelliteGuys Pro

My sister had the opposite experience with her TV. After I switched her from a Hopper to a ViP612 to save money, she had so many problems with the ViP612 (I tried more than one.) that I got Dish to give her a free upgrade to a ViP722k, which does not have any of the problems she experienced with the ViP612.

14. fmj77

fmj77Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member

Mine was the VIP722, not the 722k. For some reason. Dish could not guarantee that they'd send me a 722k as a replacement, even though the 722k has been confirmed not to have the problems with Sony Bravias. No matter. The 612 has worked great.

crodrules and TheKrell like this.

SatelliteGuys
All Posts / Content © 2003 - 2016 SatelliteGuys.US - All Rights Reserved
Creative Commons License
All Trademarks, Trade names and Registered Trademarks are property of their respective companies.

Sucuri
VigLink badge