Abbreviated Guide Info

Yeah, but I think Dish has control over the truncating of text.

I think that you get what you can.

In most cases you know what they mean or you wouldn't have noticed it. In other cases, if it looks like something you want to watch then change it to it and see if it is it. If it is not then change it, it's that simple.

Not as big a deal as some make it out to be, that's all I'm sayin.

In most cases you know what they mean or you wouldn't have noticed it. In other cases, if it looks like something you want to watch then change it to it and see if it is it. If it is not then change it, it's that simple.

I see your point, but if the program is in the future, and the "long" description of five words doesn't give anymore hints, it is kind of annoying; nothing more than that. I would much rather have them put out the 722k and 922 before worrying about this, but knowing Dish, they will actually fix this and then tout it as an awesome new feature that we can thank our price increases for...

My biggest problem was the Sarah Connor Chronicles on Fox. They changed it to Connor Chonicles, and the timer missed it. I only found it because of a post someone made here.

I guess you don't know what we're discussing. It can be a big deal. There was a movie that only had two words for the title, I looked at the description, and actors, and had no idea what it was. That's not helpful at all.

I agree with dfregie - We had it, we just want it the same as it was.

The worst one I've seen, (so far) is "National" which was short for "National Lampoon's Vacation".
In whose mind does the one word "National" really describe any of the National Lampoon's movies.
I dare say it could have been National ... "you fill in the blank with almost any word".

The worst one I've seen, (so far) is "National" which was short for "National Lampoon's Vacation".
In whose mind does the one word "National" really describe any of the National Lampoon's movies.
I dare say it could have been National ... "you fill in the blank with almost any word".
As a dual service sub... my thoughts are if you are too lazy to give us the guide info, I might be too lazy to subscribe and migrate all to the service that does... ;)

I have seen the issues in other places besides Dish's guide (I think on abc family's website)... but i will say it is annoying when it says, "The Chronicles of..." For "The Chronicles of Narnia, The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe".

Had the same issue a couple of weeks ago, Tim Burton's-A Nightmare before Christmas was simply Tim Burton's.... on either EncoreHD or HDNetMovies. I thought it might be what it actually ended up being but had to record it and watch it to make sure. I have seen other movies with bad abbreviations. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil on my guide was simply Midnight in the...... I do understand how annoying it is and really wish that they would try a little harder.

In fact, they should include enough length of title to make it unique. Exception, for remakes with identical titles, you have to go by the year, which we have mostly right.
-Ken

In fact, they should include enough length of title to make it unique. Exception, for remakes with identical titles, you have to go by the year, which we have mostly right.
-Ken

Allow another tangent, if you will, why do some movies have "Year: 1992" tags while others get "Original Air Date: 01-01-1992"?

And why are there, like, six categories for TV shows? Just because it's animated does NOT mean it belongs in the "Family/Children" category. There need to be about twice as many categories, more sanely named, at least, with sub cats to help you sort them out. Something like "Animated/Family" and "Animated/Adults Only" is a good start. This "Series/Special" stuff doesn't cut it, either. How about "Series/Scripted," "Series/Documentary," and "Series/Educational," for example.

Same thing w/ "National Treasure Book of Secrets" on STARZ. All you see is "National..." (yes, the "..." shows in the guide). Once I saw this on HBO, MAX, and STARZ:

STARZ: "National..." (National Treasure)
HBO: "National..." (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"
MAX: "National..." (National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1"

Dude... confusing. You have to actually read the description to tell what was on.

I sent an e-mail to Tribune Media Services complaining about the abbreviations. I'll report back if I hear anything. It seems to me that someone there is getting too lazy to type the stuff out completely.

On Encore Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise was abbreviated to "Revenge of Nerds..." I was surprised to see that tomorrow morning on StarzEdge they have National Treasure: Book of Secrets was spelled out in it's entirety.

Same thing w/ "National Treasure Book of Secrets" on STARZ. All you see is "National..." (yes, the "..." shows in the guide). Once I saw this on HBO, MAX, and STARZ:

STARZ: "National..." (National Treasure)
HBO: "National..." (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"
MAX: "National..." (National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1"

Dude... confusing. You have to actually read the description to tell what was on.

Yes, and even then it may be ambiguous. We consult the guide to find out what's on. We shouldn't have to guess after we have consulted the guide...

My biggest problem was the Sarah Connor Chronicles on Fox. They changed it to Connor Chonicles, and the timer missed it. I only found it because of a post someone made here.

That's funny, the timer worked on my 622, and for several other people I've seen posting here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts