About the Voom Channels, Seriously

It's quality not quantity. Now do you get it. :rolleyes:
YOUR idea of quality, which apparently is from a very limited viewpoint.

Imagine for a second that the roles are reversed. D* has Voom, and I being an E* sub post in threads how worthless and what a waste of time Voom must be because I don't have it so it must not be worth having. Sad, huh??

I would never be negative towards any full-time HD channels that D* has and E* doesn't. In fact, I'd be pushing Charlie to add them if the channels were important enough to me, or I would consider changing providers.

See why I don't understand?

I'm not buying the "just analyzing viewers habits" excuse for this thread.

We get it. Some people don't watch Voom. Fine. Hate Voom if you want but pretending Voom is keeping your favorite channels in HD off of E* is your own way of dealing with not having those channels. It is not reality.

Voom is excellent HD with very little advertising. One the things I hate the MOST about the TNT-HD type channels is the 4 minutes of ads for every 6 minutes of show.

NO THANKS

I'll pop in the DVD if it's that important.

As for the Voom in SD question, irrelevant and inconsequential. I would never watch any movies on any movie channel in SD but they are still provided for the millions of people who buy their dvds with the words FULL SCREEN on the front. Whether they were also in SD means nothing to me.

some people have understood the question and answered, and some have taken it as an attack on voom. While i dont want to speak for the OP, i doubt that was his intent. I took it to read, for those that have voom, is the content good enough that you would watch it if it were SD only. Im curious myself.
Ive seen it a few times and wouldnt mind having it since more HD is always better IMO. However im not sure if i would watch it if it were SD only.

Voom use to be a seperate add on package to the HD package for I think 10 dollars. Similar to what Directv is doing to MGM, Smithsonian and others. By E* making it apart of the 20 dollar HD package they are in fact subsidizing by making all HD sub pay . Very different Sapient to Discovery.

So Discovery is not like Voom in that Discovery has ALWAYS been subsidized? In Tulsa-land, it would be offered as a stand-alone if it were quality, right?

Tell us, Tulsa. How many channels in your package are good enough that they are offered individually? And how is it that HD subscribers at E* are subsidizing Equator more than they are Food HD?

And I guess all D* HD sucks, as you can't get any of it individually. Right?

For me, it's not HD vs. SD. It's commercials vs. no commercials. Cut vs. uncut. OAR vs. stretch-o-vision.

HD is nice, but I will decide to watch or abandon a channel based on the above criteria before throwing HD vs. SD into the decision matrix.

some people have understood the question and answered, and some have taken it as an attack on voom. While i dont want to speak for the OP, i doubt that was his intent. I took it to read, for those that have voom, is the content good enough that you would watch it if it were SD only. Im curious myself.
Ive seen it a few times and wouldnt mind having it since more HD is always better IMO. However im not sure if i would watch it if it were SD only.

IMO, I only watch some of the programming on VOOM channels because its in HD. This goes for other non-VOOM channels also. Watching SD on a HDTV just makes for a bad viewing experience. There are only a few shows/games i'll watch in SD because I don't have a choice. I usually don't even look past the HD part of the guide to find something to watch.

Really guys, as I said in my original post I was just wondering if our watching habits have changed just to see stuff in HD that we may or may not normally have tuned into. I personally have not. I watch what I like and consider the HD a bonus. I don't think that I tune in to shows just because they are in HD. Just wondering where Voom landed with this in mind. So if that Kung Foo movie that was on on the Kung Foo channel was on a non HD channel, would any of you that watched it have watched it any way? Does that make sense?

Since you are new to this whole HD thing, I'll cut you a break. We have had too much HD for too long, at E*, to simply watch something because it is in HD. You'll get the hang of having real options to your HD viewing soon enough, and will realize how silly the underlying beliefs of your question really are. See, when there is something on I don't want to watch, I simply watch something else.

You might as will be asking if we would watch Voom if it were not in color. We may watch it a lot less, but we are not watching it simply because it is in color.

It's quality not quantity. Now do you get it. :rolleyes:

So you are saying that the quality of your package is so bad that you'd rather whine about people enjoying Voom than be in front of your TV?

I'm with Kramer. How sad does a person have to be to spend their time bashing channels they claim to not want? If you don't want them, why the obsession? I don't want to watch Entertainment Tonight. Guess how much time I spend in Entertainment Tonight forums trying to get people to believe I don't want to watch that show? The answer is zero. Why? Because I am happy with me decision to not watch Entertainment Tonight.

Since you are new to this whole HD thing, I'll cut you a break. We have had too much HD for too long, at E*, to simply watch something because it is in HD. You'll get the hang of having real options to your HD viewing soon enough, and will realize how silly the underlying beliefs of your question really are. See, when there is something on I don't want to watch, I simply watch something else.

You might as will be asking if we would watch Voom if it were not in color. We may watch it a lot less, but we are not watching it simply because it is in color.
I actually disagree. If it being in HD wasnt a big deal, why didnt voom as a DBS service launch in SD. Surely that would have been less expensive. Not saying everyone watches it because its just HD, but there have been a few shows that ive tuned into just because the "pretty picture" caught my eye. Still do from time to time.

I actually disagree.
I'm shocked!! :eek:
If it being in HD wasnt a big deal, why didnt voom as a DBS service launch in SD.
Um, that's actually one of the most ridiculous questions I've seen here. First, no one ever said it being in HD wasn't one of the reasons to watch the channels. Second, Voom was purposely created as a 24/7 commercial-free HD network. Why would they even consider SD? :confused:
Surely that would have been less expensive.
I'm sure the executives at Rainbow Media appreciate your concern. :up

I actually disagree. If it being in HD wasnt a big deal, why didnt voom as a DBS service launch in SD. Surely that would have been less expensive. Not saying everyone watches it because its just HD, but there have been a few shows that ive tuned into just because the "pretty picture" caught my eye. Still do from time to time.

HD isn't just clear SD in the same way that color TV is not jsut black and white TV in color. It is a slightly different medium, and Voom takes advantage of it.

Being in HD is a big deal, but it is not THE deal. I don't watch TV for the color or the sound or the HD, but all of these things allow for better programming.

To Sapient and 8bits. Your answers are interesting. Childish, defensive, but none the less interesting. New to HD, give me a break. For your information, I have no Voom envy what so ever. Do I wish D* had it? Sure, why not. I would like to see what it is all about, have more options etc.... Your defensive answers though, seem to tell me the whole story. You guys couldn't take a simple premise and answer a question like adults. The question once again was....if the Voom channels were in SD would you still be watching them. I have stated that HD or SD doesn't seem to be a deal breaker for me to watch something. And I never watch something because it is on in HD, if I wasn't planning on watching it anyway. So your paranoid. This wasn't posted in the war zone because that wasn't the purpose of it. So I now have a better understanding. Not of my original question but of the fact that some of us can't have a discussion on these types of things. The defense mechanism kicks in, the I have this so it has to be good kicks in and everyones IQ goes down a couple of notches. Congratulations.

When have you ever seen CFL Coverage live on Voom? Anytime I flipped on WorldSport the game was atleast two weeks old or olderIf you really want the CFL coverage you might as well get BellExpressVu or Star Choice!

Every Friday night is Live.

"...and entered into a carriage agreement to carry some of the Voom Network channels. "

Actually, ALL of the Voom channels. They were repackaged into a smaller number of channels. And the entire package must be provided, and in the basic HD package. At least, that's how it's sold in the U.S. I don't know when that agreement expires, but I suspect the terms may well change when it does. Of course, by then, Dish (& D*) may well have plenty of bandwidth available for more HD.

So Discovery is not like Voom in that Discovery has ALWAYS been subsidized?
Discovery HD Theater was available ala carte up until a couple of years ago. I believe it cost somewhere between $4.99 and 7.99/month. I honestly don't recall if it had commercial advertising back in the day or not.

The VOOM channels have no commercial advertising; only channel and program promos.

How to set DVR record defaults?

622 with a 6' & 8'dish help request

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts