About to pull my hair out with Dish this week.

jackqm

Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
ORegon
Hello all,
Recently we bought a new TV, thought HD would be nice to have since i had an email stating we were eligible for free HD for life.. So ok I call Dish and they say sure, you just have to upgrade your receiver for $300...
I said are you serious? She said yes no way around it, I made it quite clear I was ready to cancel over it and she put me in contact with loyalty person. He says sorry, its $200 plus $95 for the installer, no way around it. Ok... I tell him I will call back later to finish cancellation and he said , oh and you will have to pay an early termination fee of $90, have a nice day..:mad:
So call up Directv (which I use to be with them back a couple years ago) and see what deals they have, so they offer no upfront costs for the 2 receivers, free install, $44 a month for the equivelant package we pay 59 for now. I say sign me up, they give me a install date. I call Dish back and say I want to cancel my subscription as of feb 12th. Back to the loyalty dept, she asks why I am canceling and I tell her why, and she says oh, well I can get you a new receiver and install for free, no problem.... Are you serious?? All those phone calls and rude attitude from the last guy just to find out that yes they can upgrade.... Oh brother. :confused:

So I ask her are the local channels also available HERE in HD? She says yes no problem at all. The only reason I asked was Directv informed me that the locals are not available in HD here in Eastern Oregon.

So... Installer shows up yesterday (super nice guy but new) installs new VIP722 and everything looks good, try and watch the local channels, nope no go. He tries all kinds of things, call his boss... They finally come back with its a Sat issue, they should have it fixed before too long, call dish and they will give you a discount....

So today still no local channels, I did happen to find the locals in SD on some odd ball channel, and can watch them that way, but no HD channels...

I decide to go with Dish Chat here while I am at work to see if I can get this supposed discount for the hassle. Finally the person on chat says well we can offer you 6 free PPV Movies.... Ok that is a start, but I specifically asked about HD local channels and they said no problem... Anyway wound up frustrated and 6 PPV movies...

Then I look at my statement today, and there is an extra $17 charge on there... I get back on chat and they tell me I have 2 receivers... I tell them to trust me, I dont have two receivers, the installer took the 625 with him when he left.
They argue with me about yes I do have 2 receivers, No I really dont, call the installer he has the old one.

Then I am just getting plain upset about the whole deal and tell the person that is was bad enough that the locals dont work right and now the billing... Then they tell me the locals are available in HD and I must be doing something wrong.

So as of now, the billing is suppose to be fixed by next month (we will see), no local channels except on some 8000 channel in SD and a promise that they will be fixed someday.

In the past I have always had good service with Dish, no complaints. But this whole ordeal has me totally frazzled.
My questions, is there really a sat problem with 129? (That is what the installers boss said). Anyone ever head of similar problems and if so any solutions?

Thanks for reading my vent..... I wonder if it not too late to get directv back on schedule for the 11th... sigh. :rant:

No, we are 330 Miles away from "the local" channels, we are actually pretty close to Idaho and would much prefer the Boise, Id locals but, they claim we have to be with Portland.

Hello all,
Recently we bought a new TV, thought HD would be nice to have since i had an email stating we were eligible for free HD for life.. So ok I call Dish and they say sure, you just have to upgrade your receiver for $300...
I said are you serious? She said yes no way around it, I made it quite clear I was ready to cancel over it and she put me in contact with loyalty person. He says sorry, its $200 plus $95 for the installer, no way around it. Ok... I tell him I will call back later to finish cancellation and he said , oh and you will have to pay an early termination fee of $90, have a nice day..:mad:
So call up Directv (which I use to be with them back a couple years ago) and see what deals they have, so they offer no upfront costs for the 2 receivers, free install, $44 a month for the equivelant package we pay 59 for now. I say sign me up, they give me a install date. I call Dish back and say I want to cancel my subscription as of feb 12th. Back to the loyalty dept, she asks why I am canceling and I tell her why, and she says oh, well I can get you a new receiver and install for free, no problem.... Are you serious?? All those phone calls and rude attitude from the last guy just to find out that yes they can upgrade.... Oh brother. :confused:

So I ask her are the local channels also available HERE in HD? She says yes no problem at all. The only reason I asked was Directv informed me that the locals are not available in HD here in Eastern Oregon.

So... Installer shows up yesterday (super nice guy but new) installs new VIP722 and everything looks good, try and watch the local channels, nope no go. He tries all kinds of things, call his boss... They finally come back with its a Sat issue, they should have it fixed before too long, call dish and they will give you a discount....

So today still no local channels, I did happen to find the locals in SD on some odd ball channel, and can watch them that way, but no HD channels...

I decide to go with Dish Chat here while I am at work to see if I can get this supposed discount for the hassle. Finally the person on chat says well we can offer you 6 free PPV Movies.... Ok that is a start, but I specifically asked about HD local channels and they said no problem... Anyway wound up frustrated and 6 PPV movies...

Then I look at my statement today, and there is an extra $17 charge on there... I get back on chat and they tell me I have 2 receivers... I tell them to trust me, I dont have two receivers, the installer took the 625 with him when he left.
They argue with me about yes I do have 2 receivers, No I really dont, call the installer he has the old one.

Then I am just getting plain upset about the whole deal and tell the person that is was bad enough that the locals dont work right and now the billing... Then they tell me the locals are available in HD and I must be doing something wrong.

So as of now, the billing is suppose to be fixed by next month (we will see), no local channels except on some 8000 channel in SD and a promise that they will be fixed someday.

In the past I have always had good service with Dish, no complaints. But this whole ordeal has me totally frazzled.
My questions, is there really a sat problem with 129? (That is what the installers boss said). Anyone ever head of similar problems and if so any solutions?

Thanks for reading my vent..... I wonder if it not too late to get directv back on schedule for the 11th... sigh. :rant:

Hope you did not sign a new contract? Once they rope you into that its hard to wiggle out.
Horrible the way they treated you. At one time or another im sure all of us have had a wacky experience
with a provider.

Mine has been more with Direc these days. However its improved.
Dish use to screw up my bill all the time. Promise a promotion and then the bill would show something
completely different.

Get the best possible deal. The one who wants your business
the most might be the one you go for.

Please PM me with your phone number or account number so I can see what's going on.

Hello all,

Your locals probably come from the 77 orbital and the 77 sat is down, probably until tomorrow or Saturday.

Sorry about your frustration with Dish Network. As for your locals, yeah...it sucks how the FCC controls local channels. Not a Dish thing.

Can you get locals over the air? If you can, hook up an antenna to the input on the 722.
There are usually some low-power translators scattered about but nothing that a digital tuner could use. Unless the OP lives in the immediate Bend area, there's not much hope.

In Oregon it is possible to be located over 350 miles from your DMA's digital broadcast towers.

Your locals probably come from the 77 orbital and the 77 sat is down, probably until tomorrow or Saturday.
Eastern Oregon (and most areas west of the Mississippi) is decidedly a WA service area.

The portion of Oregon that is east of the Cascade Mountain Range is a relatively large area and there are four DMAs cutting it up in odd pieces.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)