AL EAST 2009

1. Tampa Bay I think the pitchers will get better and I think the young players will keep improving.

2. Boston Just a tad behind TB. I think pitching will be there but how is the health of Ortiz, Drew, Lowell, and others? They will miss Manny in that lineup.

3. NY Yankees I believe they have a dangerous everyday lineup but still with a few questions. However, I still think their pitching is questionable. I think CC will be OK but the rest would concern me if I was a Yankee's fan.

4. Toronto Pretty good team but not good enough in this division.

6. Baltimore. I think they will improve but they are nowhere near ready to compete in the AL East.

But the Red Sox have more questions in their everyday lineup.

Lowell- coming off major hip surgery
Lowrie- will the sophomore jinx hit him
Ortiz- will wrist and weight issues and not having Manny from the start hurt him
Varitek- his yearly declining at the dish is frightening
Drew- how many trips to the DL this year?
Ellsbury- has yet to prove that he can consistently hit Major League pitching

That's a lot of questions for your everyday lineup.

Listen, as a Red Sox fan, I hope YOU'RE right. But RIGHT NOW I'm concerned about this teams offense.
There might be one to start the year!!!

Boston Red Sox right fielder J.D. Drew is still battling back stiffness from a herniated disk that limited him in 2008.

The outfielder said on Sunday that he had one MRI following the season and the exam didn't show any serious injury. He said that even though the injury has lingered, he's still able to hit and run.

Drew was limited to 109 games last season, hitting 19 home runs with 64 RBIs.

The 33-year-old said he could play right now if the team needed him.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=3909075"]Boston Red Sox's J.D. Drew still battling back stiffness - ESPN[/ame]

Bill, it's been a few years now: has Dice-K lived up to his hype and contract? I say yes- he has the most important thing any pitcher can have: a World Series ring.

Last year, he almost won 20 games.

This year, he has a good shot.

...the most important thing any pitcher can have...(is) a World Series ring....

Hooey. The most important thing any professional athlete can have is a fine career, and within that career, exceptional performances in his teams buggest games.

I have to wonder how many times a Dan Marino or a Pat Ewing or an Ernie Banks wanted to punch a reporter out when asked if they'd trade their career accomplishments for a ring. The worst player on the team gets a ring. Big deal.

By the numbers, Dice-K has been a success, but I watched most of his games, and I don't know how in hell he pulled it off, loadng up the bases the way he did. I read last year that he is the only pitcher in modern (1900 - present) baseball hiistory to end a season fifteen games over .500 while averaging more than five walks per game.

Last edited:
Papi shed a few pounds!! :)

BDD_DO_fort_21509_bgjd.jpg

1. Tampa Bay I think the pitchers will get better and I think the young players will keep improving.

2. Boston Just a tad behind TB. I think pitching will be there but how is the health of Ortiz, Drew, Lowell, and others? They will miss Manny in that lineup.

3. NY Yankees I believe they have a dangerous everyday lineup but still with a few questions. However, I still think their pitching is questionable. I think CC will be OK but the rest would concern me if I was a Yankee's fan.

4. Toronto Pretty good team but not good enough in this division.

6. Baltimore. I think they will improve but they are nowhere near ready to compete in the AL East.

I agree!:up

Bill, I knew this was going to be asked eventually, but I might as well say it now:

When does Boston make their first trip to the new Yankee Stadium?