AL EAST 2009

Bleh. Reading all this depresses me. :)

The only thing I can add is .250 would be quite a bonus for Varitek, but his numbers could also head further south. And the were down near Australia last year! Would be surprised if Pedroia repeats his season of last year, but he surprised us all last year in the first place, so who knows. And I do think you'll miss Manny at times over the long haul. Big Papi in particular.

Otherwise the Sox are clearly the team to beat not only in the division, but all of MLB.

Oh, and you also left out you have one of the best managers in the game, and the front office is so good if any of my predictions above hopefully come true, they'll find a way to fill the gap...most likely from within.

Red Sox are my pre-season world series favorites.

Sandra

This coming from a Yankee fan? Sandra, you're way too modest.

As an outsider, I see the Yankees as the best team in that division. And it's really not even that close.

First off, I'm eliminating the birds from playoff contention. The O's and Jays are both rebuilding. I think the Rays had a career year in '08 and I simply don't see them repeating this year.

The Red Sox offense is not nearly as scary without Manny in the clean-up hole (sorry Jason Bay). On the contrary, the Yankees batting order will consist of Damon, Jeter, A-Rod, Teixeira, followed by Posada and Matsui. Oh, my! Talk about a buzz saw!

Also, let's not forget the Yanks won 89 games last year with a rec-league starting pitching staff. Remember all those games last year when the Yankees were losing before they even came up to bat? You can throw all those away… they simply won’t happen in 2009. Why? Primarily because the Yanks went out and signed 2 top of the rotation guys in Sabathia and Burnett. This now rounds off their staff with Wang at #3, Pettite at #4 and Joba at #5. Seriously Yankees?! Joba is you're #5!? Impressive indeed. :eek:

Long story short, a good majority of this team will be playing with a chip on their shoulder. Missing the playoffs in '08 didn't sit well with many folks. A-Rod, Jeter and Mo will come into this year with something to prove. Couple that with the key additions, I just don't see how this team doesn't win the AL East.

This coming from a Yankee fan? Sandra, you're way too modest.

As an outsider, I see the Yankees as the best team in that division. And it's really not even that close.

I just don't see how this team doesn't win the AL East.

I'm also picking the Yankees to win the East.

But..............

This is a TAD hyberbolic. No?

I'm also picking the Yankees to win the East.

But..............

This is a TAD hyberbolic. No?

Exaggerated? Possibly. Depends on what you consider "not close". Typically the AL East is decided by a game or two during the final week or series. I just think the division will be decided a few weeks prior to the end of September.

Exaggerated? Possibly. Depends on what you consider "not close". Typically the AL East is decided by a game or two during the final week or series.

This is true.

But if I'm a Yankees fan, I hope it doesn't come down to a pitching matchup of Beckett vs. Sabathia.

In a BIG game, I know who my money's on. ;)

This is true.

But if I'm a Yankees fan, I hope it doesn't come down to a pitching matchup of Beckett vs. Sabathia.

In a BIG game, I know who my money's on. ;)

I just hope there are big Yankee games late in the year and in the post-season. I'll worry about pitching matchups, who's hot and who's not, etc., when/IF the time comes.

Sandra

I just hope there are big Yankee games late in the year and in the post-season. I'll worry about pitching matchups, who's hot and who's not, etc., when/IF the time comes.

Sandra

Sandra,
no worries, you WILL be there. Your team is just too loaded to not be in contention.

I predict they win the East, but get no less than the wildcard.

My East predictions:

Yankees.........................97-65
Rays...............................94-68 (WC)
Red Sox.........................91-71
Blue Jays.......................75-87
Orioles..........................68-94

Last edited:
Sandra,
no worries, you WILL be there. Your team is just too loaded to not be in contention.

I predict they win the East, but get no less than the wildcard.

My East predictions:

Yankees.........................97-75
Rays...............................94-78 (WC)
Red Sox.........................91-71
Blue Jays.......................75-87
Orioles..........................68-94

I would flip-flop the Yankees and Sox, drop the Rays down to 88-90 wins, and assume the wild card will come from the AL Central. A lot went right for the Rays last year, it could be totally different for them this year.

Sandra

I would flip-flop the Yankees and Sox, drop the Rays down to 88-90 wins, and assume the wild card will come from the AL Central. A lot went right for the Rays last year, it could be totally different for them this year.

Sandra

But like HD and others have pointed out, the Sox have a ton of question marks in their everyday lineup. BTW, I think the Yankees also have some questions in their lineup (Posada, Matsui), but the Red Sox have many more.

That's why I love the Rays lineup. IMO, it's the best of these three teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)