Analyst Predicts Dish, T-Mobile & Amazon Super Union

I think Scott's point was still relevant, in that Charlie would still have Echostar to play with and keep him occupied, so he might not be as averse to giving up control of Dish as part of an acquisition.
The only way any deal with DISH goes through is if Charlie does relinquish control of the company. No one wants to partner with him over his control issues and the way he negotiates deals. If he stays with Echostar , he would still make the receivers for DISH and in Europe.

But DISH has been losing subs for years now. He is not even making more profits to offset the losses. The point of diminishing returns has been met.
Like most pay TV services? Look headlines from 2Q 2015

U.S. Pay TV Sector Has Biggest-Ever Quarterly Video Sub Decline
The industry produced "the largest loss to date amid growing fears of cord cutting," the firm said, estimating it at around 625,000. The previous video sub loss record was set in the second quarter of 2011 with a 441,000 loss, followed by 394,000 in the second quarter of 2012, according to Kagan data.

Interesting headline:

T-Mobile plans to launch a national 5G network by 2020

T-Mobile isn't going to sit by the wayside while its carrier rivals talk up plans for 5G networks. The magenta crew has announced that it plans to roll out a nationwide 5G network starting in 2019, with completion by 2020. It'll use some of the provider's 600MHz frequencies to help make this speedy service happen. And yes, this will be real, standards-based 5G -- not the faux 5G (really an amalgam of upgrades to 4G) AT&T launched in April.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/02/t-mobile-plans-national-5g-network-by-2020/

Like most pay TV services? Look headlines from 2Q 2015

U.S. Pay TV Sector Has Biggest-Ever Quarterly Video Sub Decline
The industry produced "the largest loss to date amid growing fears of cord cutting," the firm said, estimating it at around 625,000. The previous video sub loss record was set in the second quarter of 2011 with a 441,000 loss, followed by 394,000 in the second quarter of 2012, according to Kagan data.
I'm not arguing that the entire pay tv industry has taken losses, I am pointing out that for the first time with DISH , They are no longer compensating for the losses with more profits . That was always the saving grace before and now it no longer is happening.

Reactions: dishdude
I'm not arguing that the entire pay tv industry has taken losses, I am pointing out that for the first time with DISH , They are no longer compensating for the losses with more profits . That was always the saving grace before and now it no longer is happening.

Well duh, the only business they have is pay TV. The whole industry is losing customers and if you don't have other units to pick up those loses (like Concast, AT&T etc) then of course you are going to drop in profit. That's not rocket science.

But having your foot in other growing businesses, like wireless (T-Mobile) and retails sales or cloud services (Amazon) you can cover and maybe even reverse those loses.

A drop in earning for one quarter is not the end of the world. Lets remember that Dish has a LOSS of $125M in the 4th quarter of 2015 and they are still in business. Dish's income per subscriber was down about $1.50, I would guess a lot due to Flex, I'd say that has as much, if not more, to do with slight downward shift in profits.

Reactions: Yespage and dare2be
So with that, lets runs some rough numbers.

Net income for the quarter dropped $24M.
Dish has 13M customers that are now paying $1.70 less per month.
Dish lost $66M in Gross Income for the quarter (13M x $1.70 x 3)

So on a drop of $66M in gross income they only lost $24M in Net Income. They must have been doing something right to turn a loss of $66M in gross income into only a $24M loss in net income?

Reactions: dare2be
This analyst seems to have doubts about Echostar's Future. Seems that Echostar exchanged their set top business this last February, that made $40 million worth of operating income , for Hughes retail tracking stock that brings in Zero profits currently. So who is making the receivers now?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4063055-echostar-bound-spiral

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3247686-dish-network-closes-asset-transfer-echostar

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3239552-analysts-dish-echostar-cleanup-prelude-bigger-deal

Cord Cutting Losses Set Another Record

Analysts estimate that the pay TV sector lost a record 762,000 pay-TV subscribers last quarter -- roughly five times more than the total number of lost subscribers during the same quarter last year. Dish Network lost 143,000 subscribers, even when the company's Sling TV additions were figured in. AT&T lost 266,000 subscribers during the same period, again not offset by additions to its DirecTV Now streaming service. Charter was also hard hit, itself losing around 100,000 subscribers during the first quarter.

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cord-Cutting-Losses-Set-Another-Record-139501

For the past 20 years, Dish has definitely provided the best TV experience available, but during that same 20 year period has neglected and continues to neglect a major aspect of it's business model it needs to survive.

Rather than doing whatever it can to fix this problem, Dish instead creates new products and services that require more of what it does not have.

What I am referring to here in case you have not figured it out is Broadband!! If dish was planning on relying on a dish to provide all of it's services, then they should have spent the last 20 years figuring out a way to provide a viable Broadband service through that Dish, but they didn't.

How long do they think they can continue to stream video without contributing to the cost to upgrade the Broadband network they rely on? I think there are already signs that this business model will be tolerated much longer.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it is a coincidence that the 4k Joey can't seem to get Certified from Netflix at around the same time Netflix entered into agreements with the Broadband providers to start paying for their excessive use and help pay for the required upgrades to the Network.

The 4k Joey now costs Netflix money that I am sure Dish is unwilling to pay for. As 4k content becomes more and more available and demand continues to increase Dish will make all Joey's capable of 4k and if Netflix was on all of them it would increase expenses for both Netflix and the Broadband companies and cost Dish essentially nothing!!

Dish without Broadband equals failure. The way I see it, Charlie can continue to hold on to the company and watch it's slow and painful death, which is what he is doing now, or sell and quickly because it's value decreases as the days go by!!

Anyways, that's the way I see it. Would like to hear your thoughts on this matter!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts