Another DISH Football Fight

I understand who Scott is. And to an extent I agree with him. But, the fact of the matter is, you are continuously complaining about it, knowing it is not going to change. So much so, it's not even worth my time arguing about anymore. So I will let you have your time, but it will be time wasted. Say your peice, then let it go, as again, until they are ready to change it, you ain't going to see any changes.
then don't read the thread

Juan I both agree with you, and disagree. It's fair to postulate that DISH should charge less to people permanently not getting RSN's. Where I disagree is saying that DISH does not do that. A customer in good standing very likely can get a discount perhaps more than the cost of the RSN's for a period of time.
After that, it seems to me DISH has decided you know what DISH is offering, if you don't feel you are getting the value you want, there are other carriers. Some may not agree and feel DISH should give a permanent discount but that's where competition is the answer. Direct TV will in most cases have your RSN's. If you have Cable available they too will have them. Will you pay more by switching with similar programming and receivers, after new customer discounts that could be. (Cable rarely offers equipment that I would call equal, another consideration)

Last edited:
Juan I both agree with you, and disagree. It's fair to postulate that DISH should charge less to people permanently not getting RSN's. Where I disagree is saying that DISH does not do that. A customer in good standing very likely can get a discount perhaps more than the cost of the RSN's for a period of time.
After that, it seems to me DISH has decided you know what DISH is offering, if you don't feel you are getting the value you want, there are other carriers. Some may not agree and feel DISH should give a permanent discount but that's where competition is the answer. Direct TV will in most cases have your RSN's. If you have Cable available they too will have them. Will you pay more by switching with similar programming and receivers, after new customer discounts that could be. (Cable rarely offers equipment that I would call equal, another consideration)
true

I don't even have Dish anymore, but this crap is getting old.

If you live in or around the NY DMA, your pretty much getting screwed paying for RSN's as part of your package and not getting them.

When locals are not available in your area, but included in your package, you get a discount. The same should hold true for RSN's

But this is calculated move in the NY and surrounding DMA's

They already pissed off people because they don't carry the Yankees and several other sports networks. The only people watching Dish in the area don't seen to care about sports, or they already would have switched.

So they don't carry this channel, how many more subs do they loose?

It's probably cheaper to take the sub loss, then pay to carry the station

Bingo. Dish signed up Nebraska right away because they know Nebraska football is a big deal and they would lose a lot of subs if they didn't pay up.

They also know that Rutgers football will cost a lot more (more subs) but that Rutgers is not a big deal for most of the state - more people are into the NFL or Penn State. I'd bet they'll choose not to pay for New Jersey until they are forced to the next time the contract is renegotiated.

Bingo. Dish signed up Nebraska right away because they know Nebraska football is a big deal and they would lose a lot of subs if they didn't pay up.

They also know that Rutgers football will cost a lot more (more subs) but that Rutgers is not a big deal for most of the state - more people are into the NFL or Penn State. I'd bet they'll choose not to pay for New Jersey until they are forced to the next time the contract is renegotiated.
Fox owns YES now....

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

no
I live in Minnesota and we get FSN North as our RSN (plus FS Wisco and FSN North + as part time alts). I do not pay a RSN fee
Someone in NY who has (with Directv) YES, SNY, MSG, MSG2 pays a RSN fee if they have a package that includes RSN's whether they watch them or not. Don't want RSN's? Get a package without them. By the way their "RSN Fee" is 3.63

Denver pays 1.82
LA area is a flat 3.00
Chicago is 1.82...but in an ironic twist Cedar Rapids, IA (which gets CSN Chicago as their RSN) pays 0.00
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/rsn_fee

I never knew of the extra RSN fees. I'm in the Cedar Rapids demographic so I suppose it makes sense. We get CSN Chicago and BTN for our regional channels.

Egad... and the problem grows to affect European Football. Champions League is being split on FS1 and FS2. We don't even get FS2 in HD. So what used to be available on FSC has been split onto two channels and I have to pay more to get FS2. I use to have one of the cheaper packages to get FSC. But now I'll miss The Reds in their Champions League debut. Fox really really sucks.

Fox: Yeah see, we want to offer less programming of value, however, we want to split our channels up an charge more for it.

Reactions: osu1991
Honestly, if it wasn't for the local network, I would hope fox to go out of business. I really can't think if a single channel of theirs that I watch. Anything outside of sports(I watch sports, just not as often as I would like)?

Egad... and the problem grows to affect European Football. Champions League is being split on FS1 and FS2. We don't even get FS2 in HD. So what used to be available on FSC has been split onto two channels and I have to pay more to get FS2. I use to have one of the cheaper packages to get FSC. But now I'll miss The Reds in their Champions League debut. Fox really really sucks.

Fox: Yeah see, we want to offer less programming of value, however, we want to split our channels up an charge more for it.
FS2 HD is being tested ATM and should launch (Dish) Soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FS2 HD is being tested ATM and should launch (Dish) Soon
Won't mean much unless FS2 gets plopped to a lower tier for me, and I'm on Dish's side here. Fox is offering less sports (lost the EPL!) coverage but want more money. I can't disagree with Dish trying to push against that. FSC would show several Champions League games, now FS1 and FS2 will likely show fewer combined! That is nuts. I doubt Fox would offer the other games online as the Champions League is one of the only things that would make anyone consider paying for FoxSoccer2Go and/or Fox "Soccer" Plus.

Fox had made access to the European Football brilliantly awesome, now they have lost their path.

Won't mean much unless FS2 gets plopped to a lower tier for me, and I'm on Dish's side here. Fox is offering less sports (lost the EPL!) coverage but want more money. I can't disagree with Dish trying to push against that. FSC would show several Champions League games, now FS1 and FS2 will likely show fewer combined! That is nuts. I doubt Fox would offer the other games online as the Champions League is one of the only things that would make anyone consider paying for FoxSoccer2Go and/or Fox "Soccer" Plus.

Fox had made access to the European Football brilliantly awesome, now they have lost their path.

Nope same amount as it used to be FSoc, FSoc+, and FSN now it is FS1, FS2, FSN, and FSoc+ has a RedZone type channel coverage during the early rounds.

The claim was that FS1 and FS2 channels combined would end up showing fewer Champions League games than FSC did because FSC could show tape delay fixtures, where as Fox won't do that with FS1 and FS2.

I have to agree. BTN is treated as a RSN in the Big 10 states. The reason Dish is seeing an increase is probably not because BTN is asking for more money per subscriber in the middle of a contract. It's because New Jersey is now a Big 10 state. If Dish treats it the same way they treat all the other Big 10 States that means they have to add BTN for everyone who lives in New Jersey with AT120+ and higher instead of just Multi-sport customers.

This means more Dish subscribers suddenly have BTN. More subscribers means Dish has to pay BTN more money. As long as BTN isn't charging Dish more money per subscriber in New Jersey than they are in Michigan I don't have a problem with that.

I also think this is a very good point. Dish customers in New Jersey get no RSNs even though they pay for them. They pay the same rates as Dish customers living in states with multiple RSNs, yet they get nothing. A portion of their bill every month goes to nonexistent RSNs. I think it's only fair that Dish gives them access to the RSN they actually do carry(BTN).
Just to be clear....It is your contention that NY Metro Dish subs are paying for YES, MSG and SNY even thought these services are unavailable on Dish?
On this I gotta see some proof.

Once again the bubble is going to pop at some point, pay tv whether sports or regular programming has gotten way out of hand, tv is a luxury but it will soon be a luxury many won't be able to afford.All this greed is doing is driving more folks to cord cut, and torrents.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
My view...In the not too distant future, sports will start heading toward pay per view only.

Just to be clear....It is your contention that NY Metro Dish subs are paying for YES, MSG and SNY even thought these services are unavailable on Dish?
On this I gotta see some proof.

Ok. Here's your proof. The difference between AT120 and AT120+ is $5 per month and the only difference between those two packages is RSNs. This means that Dish is charging about $5 per month for RSNs tacked on to AT120+ and up. Customers in states without RSNs aren't getting a $5 credit every month. In fact, they aren't getting a credit of any amount. Packages cost the same there as everywhere else. That means that dish is charging them for RSNs just like those of us with 2 or 3 RSNs but they aren't providing them.

Hmmm,ok. Then I say Dish should charge additional to markets where they have a load of local channels carried. And then lower the charge for areas like Montana that probably have a sparse population and few locals.

Having said that, I just looked at my current Dish bill. I don't see a separate RSN charge...

Bill Period 09/04/14 - 10/03/14
Sep 04 - Oct 03
Monthly Charges
America's Top 250 79.99
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
HD DVR Receiver 10.00
HD DVR Receiver 10.00
Protection Plan 8.00
DVR Service 7.00
5 Superstations 7.00
HD Free For Life (reg $10) 0.00
$131.99
Aug 19
State/Local Tax (Sales) 7.92
Period 09/04/14 - 10/03/14
$139.91

So you are saying Direct TV charges for RSN's separately? I don't know,I never used the service. From reading my bill it seems RSNs and any other channel I have are a bundled price,in my case the Top 250. This way the overall price for the Top 250 is spread out to all of us that subscribe to the package. Am I wrong. If I am I apologize. I have misunderstood how the "package system" works then.

Now if you must have your NJ RSNs,is there a way to contact them and get the feeds over the internet? Or through the NCAA maybe?
here's my bill.
Sep 24 - Oct 23 Monthly Charges
America's Top 250 79.99
Multi-Sport w/ Redzone 11.00
DVR Receiver 10.00
HBO - 6 Mo (50% Off) 9.50
Protection Plan 8.00
DVR Service 7.00
Receiver 7.00
Receiver 7.00
5 Superstations 7.00
$146.49

Notice I sub to the 250 which includes the rsn's....I also sub to the multi-sport so i can view the NFL RZ channel.
So it appears that since we both sub to the 250 which includes RSN's, you are indeed over paying because Dish does NOPT provide your local RSN's.....That is criminal. Dish is STEALING from you.
I'd be bending the ear of a DIRT Team member on here real quick....All NJ/NY subs who are with the 120+ and above are being charged for RSN's they are NOT getting ...That is BEE ESS