Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

A lot of times it's the way people install their DVRs and don't realize the air intake is on the right side,and exhaust is on the right side,when looking at the front of the DVR,because other providers are in the back.I have yet to have any heat related issues with my 622 or 722k.I can make my temps go a little higher when I push my entertainment center all the way against the wall,but pull it out a little and the temps drop a little.;)

I noticed that the intake vent on the right is only a few inches wide, while the vent on the left extends almost from the front of the receiver to the back. I have one external fan located at the back left of my 722 drawing air out. Does anyone think I would get better airflow if I block the rest of the left vent not covered by the fan? Or would that end up making the airflow even more restrictive? My understanding is that the internal fan, HDD and power supply are all in the back anyway, so I was thinking that I could create more a wind tunnel effect across the components that need it by only allowing air in through the right vent and out the back left side.

I noticed that the intake vent on the right is only a few inches wide, while the vent on the left extends almost from the front of the receiver to the back. I have one external fan located at the back left of my 722 drawing air out. Does anyone think I would get better airflow if I block the rest of the left vent not covered by the fan? Or would that end up making the airflow even more restrictive? My understanding is that the internal fan, HDD and power supply are all in the back anyway, so I was thinking that I could create more a wind tunnel effect across the components that need it by only allowing air in through the right vent and out the back left side.
On the 722, the internal fan, HD and power supply are NOT in the back. The internal fan is toward the front right side. The HD is in the front center and the power supply is stretching the entire left side.

If you block the left front and center vents you will improve the air flow diagonally (front right to back left) but you will compromise the air flow at the left front and center corner. Just keep the vents as is and the external fan at the back left side. You must remember, the HD is NOT the only part that is getting hot there and definitely it is NOT the hottest part. The only reason they are monitoring only the HD is to save money, all HDs have built-in temperature sensors, so it is free. I have studied this overheating problem extensively and my best solution is at post #981.

Got a new 722K 2 weeks ago. On first bootup my temps were: low 69; high 138; average 97. 2 weeks later my temps are: low 69; high 140; average 116 (high just went to 140 today - was 138 yesterday - 116 average has been about a week - it sat at 114 for almost a week before that).
Bad? Good? Do I need to get a fan system?
My last 722K lasted for 2 1/2 years before HD overheated to failure. I have a 625 sitting on top of the 722K. The last on had about 1/2 inch spacers between the two and now I have about 3/4 inch spacers between them.

Also - for the last week I've been having an issue with a slow response on navigating within the menus (slooow guide and response). It looks like this is being caused by some software issue (or something in the stream - clears up EVERY evening around 7:30-7:45). In my mind, this means the HD is having to working a bit harder than "normal". This will cause the temp to go up too, right?

Last edited:
On the 722, the internal fan, HD and power supply are NOT in the back. The internal fan is toward the front right side. The HD is in the front center and the power supply is stretching the entire left side.

If you block the left front and center vents you will improve the air flow diagonally (front right to back left) but you will compromise the air flow at the left front and center corner. Just keep the vents as is and the external fan at the back left side. You must remember, the HD is NOT the only part that is getting hot there and definitely it is NOT the hottest part. The only reason they are monitoring only the HD is to save money, all HDs have built-in temperature sensors, so it is free. I have studied this overheating problem extensively and my best solution is at post #981.
Thanks for the clarification and setting me straight on the internals.

Your solution in post #981, from the picture I can't really tell, but is that mounted flush against the left rear side and then blowing the air straight back (instead of my current fan which is just blowing the air to the left away from the unit)? That would be ideal, as I have a semi-enclosed space with not much clearance on the left but the back is exposed.

fuzzface, my temps before I opened up the back of my enclosure and plugged in an external fan on the left side were: high 138, low 111, avg 123...since then they have dropped to 132 high, 107 low, and 118 avg and continue to drop. I would continue to monitor and if the average goes up over 120 or the high goes above 140, then I would definitely consider a Thermaltake II USB fan, or the solution in post #981.

How about a dryer sheet (or similar) covering the right vent to limit dust collection? Too restrictive?

Thanks for the clarification and setting me straight on the internals.

Your solution in post #981, from the picture I can't really tell, but is that mounted flush against the left rear side and then blowing the air straight back (instead of my current fan which is just blowing the air to the left away from the unit)? That would be ideal, as I have a semi-enclosed space with not much clearance on the left but the back is exposed.
My exhaust fan is taped over the vents at the back left sided and it is blowing the hot air straight back. This solution is much better that just placing a fan like the Thermaltake at the corner and blowing the hot air to the side. For any of this to be really effective, the back wall of your cabinet must be open and the cabinet spaced a few inches from the wall. My average temperature is now 116°, used to be 128° when the receiver shut down a couple of times.

Thanks dare2be. I'll keep my eye on it. I am considering the dual fan set up that people have been linking to on eBay. I might try to build my own or just buy one of those if it goes up much higher.
What kills me is I actually got a "temp too high" message on my last one. It reported 153 degrees. The internal fan kicked on high and cooled it off 30 degrees in about 5-10 minutes. Seems like it would do Dish some good to put a better fan control in these things. If it can cool it down that quick, it should never get that hot in the first place...

I ordered the dual fan system thingy yesterday. I just hope it gets here before anything critical happens. My avg went up to 118 yesterday and this morning it is at 120. My lower went from 89 to 113 as well...

I had my 625 in a glass door enclosed cabinet and never had a problem. I now have to have the back opened and the front glass door removed with an external fan just to keep my 722 within normal operating termeratures...

I had my 625 in a glass door enclosed cabinet and never had a problem. I now have to have the back opened and the front glass door removed with an external fan just to keep my 722 within normal operating termeratures...
Seems like "normal" operating temps for the 722k is HOT HOT and then melt... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)