Beginner Needs Help!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes i'm connected to the Eagle Aspen. Do you think I should purchase a different one? Is that why I'm only getting about 24% quality nomatter how I position the dish? What else could be the cause? I hear FSSN is a strong signal so I'll wait until Friday when it goes live to see how the quality looks.

Thanks

The Eagle Aspen LNBF should be good. I wouldn't replace it with something else because I don't think that will resolve your problem.

My brother is going to emailo me some information on FSSN-UND channel, should come in a few minutes.

Radar

Another note, when you blind scan for channels, make sure you check each channel that is found. You may be looking for FSSN but it may have scanned in under a different, generic name (like Service 'N' or TV 'X' TP 11.825 V).

its up 15 minutes before game time and logs as UND-FSSN (which is better than the old generic "TV1" it use to log as) ;)

I was able to find the Sat at 91W and have about 24% quality. Moving the dish very slightly any direction only reduces to the quality. I'm hoping to try for the game on Friday and see what happens.

did it log any channels and if so which ones?

its up 15 minutes before game time and logs as UND-FSSN (which is better than the old generic "TV1" it use to log as) ;)

Ice,

My brother must be dislexic! ha ha. He stated FSSN-UND. He was just trying to recall off the top of his head. I mentioned that STharish should look through all the channels that scan in as I thought it might scan in under a generic heading like "TV1", but it will help if that has been remedied.

Radar

I'm wondering if the OP is truly on G17 and not AMC4....here me out

The original TP on G17 that had the color bars and a few scrambled channels was at 12060 V 26700 but changed recently. I posted the new info above
There is also a TP on AMC4 called the "HotelVision" mux that has scrambled channels at 12060 H 26700

Unless the OP changed the transponder on G17 to what I posted above it is VERY possible he is getting AMC4....the low signal quality gave me some hints especially if he moved the dish any direction he loses signal. The mux on G17 is much stronger than 24 max

just using my thinking voice here....

Satellite Info
Galaxy 17 Digital – 91.0° W
K24 Slot F - 9 MHz
Ku Band - Downlink Frequency: 12187 V
L Band - Downlink Frequency: 1437 V
Symbol Rate 4.88
FEC 3/4
PMT 480
Video 481
Audio 484 (Primary L&R)

Receiver Audio Info
Left Channel - Mono Program Audio
Right Channel - Cue tones ONLY
Markets with WDAZ 102* - ON
Markets with WDAZ 102# - OFF
Markets without WDAZ 063* - ON
Markets without WDAZ 063# - OFF

Web link to their site is:

h++p://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&KEY=&ATCLID=785161

Enter the data, then scan manually according to the web site schedule.

Radar

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the OP is truly on G17 and not AMC4....here me out

The original TP on G17 that had the color bars and a few scrambled channels was at 12060 V 26700 but changed recently. I posted the new info above
There is also a TP on AMC4 called the "HotelVision" mux that has scrambled channels at 12060 H 26700

Unless the OP changed the transponder on G17 to what I posted above it is VERY possible he is getting AMC4....the low signal quality gave me some hints especially if he moved the dish any direction he loses signal. The mux on G17 is much stronger than 24 max

just using my thinking voice here....

That is possible.

I just checked 12.060H on AMC4. The banner has changed. It is now USA Site.

Radar

Ok guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply as I was not getting email notifications for the new posts.

Anyway, I entered all the setting as suggested by Iceberg and here's what I could come up with on 12050 V 13354...

2001 Occ Use-1
2002 Occ Use-2
2003 LETN
2004 FETN
2005 HSTN
2006 LTCN
2007 Occ Use-3
2008 TXCN
2009 Occ Use-4
2028 TXCN AC3

I'm still averaging only 20% max Q on all of these. No dish movement helps.

On another note my receiver says "Nimiq 1 91.0 W"...that's all I have listed for 91.0 W.
And I did find the correct information for FSSN on theralph.com as listed above.

I guess now its just making sure i'm on the right Sat and that my equipment is sufficient. Unless you guys have any other ideas.

Thanks again!

One more thing I forgot to add...

I'm getting a black screen on these channels other than two that have the color bars. A few have audio which comes in clearly.

Yep you are on the right bird! The black screen channels are encrypted, I think the audio is open on some / all of them though....now try running blind scan a few times between now and friday to make sure you are getting both H and V signals. If your skew is correct, you should get both. Provided there are both type signals active when you scan, that is.....congrats, good work.

Thank god!! Any idea why my quality is still so low?

Thanks

What brand and model receiver do you have? What size is your dish? What LNBF is installed? Does your receiver show a valid signal reading (green), or is it just picking up noise (red)?

Since you are seing the channels with color bars, I think you are on the right satellite, but you may be able to tweak your dish to peak the signal more.

According to Lyngsat, the EIRP is 48.4 dBW for California, so a 76cm dish should be acceptable. Since I detect the signals weak here, they are probably just not a very high power transmission to begin with. The hot zone for this satellite is more towards the south and east coast areas.

I am using a Coolsat 5000, a 76cm dish, an Invacom QPH-031 LNBF and I am in the Omaha, Nebraska area.
I am picking up the following channels on 91W G17 transponder 12.050 V S/R 13.354 (PowerVu Plus Network) with 76% signal strength and 65-66% Quality:

Occasional Use - 1 (color bars and test tone when off air)
Occasional Use - 2 (color bars and test tone when off air)
LETN (audio only, video scrambled)
FETN (audio only, video scrambled)
HSTN (audio only, video scrambled)
LTCN (audio only, video scrambled)
Occasional Use - 3 (no audio/video when off air)
TXCN (no audio/video when off air)
Occasional Use - 4 (audio only, video scrambled)
TXCN_AC3 (no audio/video when off air)

AAFES (radio channel, test tone when off air)

If your receiver can detect data signals, you could try these HughesNet satellite internet transponders.
You won't be able to scan any channels from them, but the signal strength is high, so you may be able to use them to better align your dish.
I am showing them at 87% L and 87%Q.
11.740 V S/R 30.000
11.800 H S/R 30.000
12.140 V S/R 30.000

There are supposed to be two more HughesNet transponders, but I do not detect signal from them:
11.820 V S/R 30.000
12.120 H S/R 30.000

The FSSN is supposed to be on TP 12.188 V S/R 4.880, but it is off air at this time.

Radar

Last edited:
stharish it is prob the size of the dish, unless you are looking thru some trees or something.
Not ever having used a dish of that type I couldn't guess what kind of signal level you might get
on that satellite. But it is a new satellite, put there recently to replace an older one.

Edit: Just hooked up my Ultra and had a look on that satellite, I'm only getting about 67signal37quality on
those color bar channels too, not sure why unless it might be some solar interference. The H-signals are
80+quality, there's a feed right now from Mammoth (ski resort) and its booming (12095H SR3978)
But that should be good enough to get FSSN..

Last edited:
Here again is what I have...

36" DIRECTV® Multi-Satellite Dish Antenna for 95°W/101°W
LNB w/feed for 95° & LNBF for 101°
Viewsat Ultra receiver
NO MOTOR

There is a picture I posted a few posts back.

Yeah, I can't get anything more than 25% Quality nomatter what I try. Signal has always been strong (over 80%).

I'm thinking about just going out a getting a new dish setup and be done with it. Should I at least keep the LNB or just get a whole new setup? What should I be looking for to give me the best chance of improving the signal?

Thanks

I was just thinking about that but haven't tried it yet. This particular one is kind of "locked" into place but I'll give it a try.

Hey unless it rains you should be good to go for what you want to see. After all the trouble you went through to find it, lol. Eventuallly you may want to get a reg ku dish if you have a place to put it. You could do like Iceberg, put a big wooden picnic table on the balcony and bolt it to that! *Don't worry about the signal you got there, Ultra's meter runs a little lower than some receivers anyway. You're good enough to get a stable lock on the channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts