Can 83 yr old adjust from DISH to Directv?

The majority of the trouble calls we get are from elderly customers. Almost daily I have to walk a customer through how to change the input on their TV to get satellite on again.

The majority of the trouble calls we get are from elderly customers. Almost daily I have to walk a customer through how to change the input on their TV to get satellite on again.

That "input" button gets them confused every time.

Heck, haven't we all gotten requests for remotes with fewer buttons?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I get that call almost daily from my dad lol.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

It's not that they're even hitting the input button. They always seem to press the TV button and then when they try changing the channel the TV switches off of the video input and over to AIR. What's nice now is that most new TVs will not allow you to do that.

I try to get our customers in the habit of pressing the TV power button first and then press the SAT button to power on the satellite, this way you know the remote is running the correct device.

Think how much better this is working today than it will when voice controlled TVs come on the market. :eek:

Think how much better this is working today than it will when voice controlled TVs come on the market. :eek:

When it works correctly that technology can be great. Siri on my iPhone and Kinect on my 360 range from amazing to frustratingly bad.

It's not that they're even hitting the input button. They always seem to press the TV button and then when they try changing the channel the TV switches off of the video input and over to AIR. What's nice now is that most new TVs will not allow you to do that.

I try to get our customers in the habit of pressing the TV power button first and then press the SAT button to power on the satellite, this way you know the remote is running the correct device.

And then we get the phone call from the customer to let us know that they have a message on their TV saying that they have lost their satellite signal. When I have confirmed that the only words on the TV screen (usually blue) are "No Signal", I then have the challenge of explaining that, the "No Signal" message has nothing to do with the "Satellite Signal" and is just a message indicating that the TV is on the wrong input.

And then we get the phone call from the customer to let us know that they have a message on their TV saying that they have lost their satellite signal. When I have confirmed that the only words on the TV screen (usually blue) are "No Signal", I then have the challenge of explaining that, the "No Signal" message has nothing to do with the "Satellite Signal" and is just a message indicating that the TV is on the wrong input.

One of the joys of your life, no doubt.

At least I know there are others who fell my pain. LOL This is why you buy from retailers, so they can help you over the phone easily since we know what you have for equipment.

My grandmother is in her 80's. She went from TWC to Dish and is fine with it. It depends on the person. She has called me twice with questions. She is doing great and loves her Dish set up. Not all elderly people are the same. Christ on a cracker.

Last edited:
But to the OP's dilemma, they should be able to enjoy MSG. Is there anyone who is reliable known to them that could help them? Could you plan a trip soon after instillation?

It has nothing to do with age. Some young people can't understand the sat/dvr system either. Many older people block learning computers as a way to resist change. They could learn it if they were so inclined. Unless they really have Dementia.

I agree it has nothing to do with age, it depends on the individual. I'm 81, drive a motorcycle, install and maintain my 10 & 12 foot dishes, along with 5 smaller dishes with the aid of a Super Buddy 29, and service my computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)