Considering getting Direct TV...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stilllearning

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Michigan
...and have a question before I order. Can I order just one receiver and have both of my TVs run off it? I don't care if both TVs have to be tuned to the same channel. I use the 2nd TV in the bedroom very infrequently and can't justify paying $4.99/mo for another box for so little use. Is there a coax port on the back of the receiver that will allow me to run coax cable from the receiver to my 2nd TV?

...and have a question before I order. Can I order just one receiver and have both of my TVs run off it? I don't care if both TVs have to be tuned to the same channel. I use the 2nd TV in the bedroom very infrequently and can't justify paying $4.99/mo for another box for so little use. Is there a coax port on the back of the receiver that will allow me to run coax cable from the receiver to my 2nd TV?
Yes, all of the outputs are active. Like you mentioned though, they will be tuned to the same channel. Since you dont mind that should do it.

Good luck!

Yes, all of the outputs are active. Like you mentioned though, they will be tuned to the same channel. Since you dont mind that should do it.

Good luck!

I was under the impression you could only use either the component or the composite at once. Not both at the same time. Unless the TV's are in the same room and you have long component/composite cables I don't think it's doable.

Is there a coax port on the back of the receiver that will allow me to run coax cable from the receiver to my 2nd TV?

You didn't tell us if you are doing an SD or HD receiver...

If it's any SD receiver, no problem

If it's any HD receiver - there are NO coax outputs on these receivers, but you could buy an external RF mod for under $10 to do this. Or, as somebody suggested, run video cables to the other set. And yes, ALL video outputs are active on the new HD receivers.

I was under the impression you could only use either the component or the composite at once. Not both at the same time. Unless the TV's are in the same room and you have long component/composite cables I don't think it's doable.
I am not sure about the SD boxes, on the HD receivers all outputs are active at the same time, so its no problem. Cant imagine that this would be different

If you get the RF modulator yourself most installer will run the backfeed (second room line) for about $30-$40 bucks.

Something like this is another option if you don't want to run wires:

TRKLF30S.PNG

I use these to transmit signal to a TV in my garage.

Thanks Scottie. Someone else on the board PM'd me and told me that an SD receiver has a coax out so I can run a coax from the box to my other TV. It's a pretty simple job in my house so that's what I think I will do if I go with D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hr20-700 picture issues

the new HD channels > nothing in HD ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)